Specialty restaurant on formal night or other night?

Trantor

My wife & I have never been on Celebrity before, but we know we will want to have at least one night at Infinity’s SS. United States, their specialty restaurant. Here’s my question: should we book the specialty restaurant for a formal night or one of the other nights?

Argument in favor of booking the specialty restaurant on a formal night: I’m not a big fan of formal ware. We’re going to South America on the 14 night 1/6/08 sailing, and I’m not eager to compete against the penguins in a contest that they’ll win, no matter how good my tux looks. If we go to the S.S. U.S. on a formal night, that is one less time I'll have to wear the tux. (DW will want to see me in the tux there , so I can't get away with just wearing a suit.)

In favor of booking it on some other night: maybe the regular dining room has extra special menus or events on formal nights, something that shouldn’t be missed at that venue. Recollections from experienced X cruisers on this point?

Thanks.

I had reservations for Constellation's specialty restaurant. When I realized that I had booked it for what was very likely a formal night, I changed it for exactly the reason you state: after making the reservation I stumbled across a thread that reminded me of special menu items in the main dining room on formal nights (unfortunately I can't find that thread right now).

My wife & I have never been on Celebrity before, but we know we will want to have at least one night at Infinity’s SS. United States, their specialty restaurant. Here’s my question: should we book the specialty restaurant for a formal night or one of the other nights?

Argument in favor of booking the specialty restaurant on a formal night: I’m not a big fan of formal ware. We’re going to South America on the 14 night 1/6/08 sailing, and I’m not eager to compete against the penguins in a contest that they’ll win, no matter how good my tux looks. If we go to the S.S. U.S. on a formal night, that is one less time I'll have to wear the tux. (DW will want to see me in the tux there , so I can't get away with just wearing a suit.)

In favor of booking it on some other night: maybe the regular dining room has extra special menus or events on formal nights, something that shouldn’t be missed at that venue. Recollections from experienced X cruisers on this point?

Thanks.

I’m planning the same thing today as well for our upcoming cruise. We prefer to book the specialty restaurant when it is a casual or informal night as the food is topically better in the dinning room on formal nights. =X= has relaxed the dressing requirements in the specialty restaurant’s to match the evening’s dress code. They still prefer men ware a jacket but it’s no longer required on casual nights.

...Argument in favor of booking the specialty restaurant on a formal night: I’m not a big fan of formal ware....

...If we go to the S.S. U.S. on a formal night, that is one less time I'll have to wear the tux...

The specialty restaurants have the same dress code as the rest of the ship. So on formal nights it is formal there too. In fact you'll find most guests tend to dress a little more formally in the specialty restaurant then elsewhere due to it's history of a stronger dress code in years past and the elegant setting there. For example, even though on casual nights the official dress there is casual many men still wear jackets.

We went on the second formal night the second time we cruised Infinity. The dress code didn't seem to be any more formal that evening in the restaurant. Everyone was wearing a jacket, but not everyone was in a dark suit or tux.

I actually preferred it as we are not a fan of lobster and we got to miss the Baked Alaska parade which I find sort of silly.

Just a quick question for Celebrity cruisers - this will be our first trip on the Summit - we've always cruised RCCL (5) and find that the dress code is getting a little less strict. My hubby hates suits and we found that even on the formal nights as long as you were nicely dressed in a sports shirt and slacks that this was fine. Does the same apply on the Celebrity cruises?? - He's going to bring his suit anyway just in case - When we first started cruising, it was long gowns and tuxes, but not anymore - hope its a little more relaxed atmosphere on the Celebrity ships - can anyone give me some answers to these issues- Thanks - Bernice and Bob

Just a quick question for Celebrity cruisers - this will be our first trip on the Summit - we've always cruised RCCL (5) and find that the dress code is getting a little less strict. My hubby hates suits and we found that even on the formal nights as long as you were nicely dressed in a sports shirt and slacks that this was fine. Does the same apply on the Celebrity cruises?? - He's going to bring his suit anyway just in case - When we first started cruising, it was long gowns and tuxes, but not anymore - hope its a little more relaxed atmosphere on the Celebrity ships - can anyone give me some answers to these issues- Thanks - Bernice and Bob

If anything, Celebrity is more formal and you are more likely to be asked to comply with the dress code. We have seen people turned away for not wearing a jacket on formal night, and IMO even a sports coat is inappropriate for formal night. A sports coat is the requested attire on informal nights. The attire you describe would be appropriate for casual nights.

I would not book the specialty restaurant on a formal night, personally. The dining room does tend to go all out on formal nights while the menu remains the same on all nights in the specialty restaurant. We generally book it for a casual night (although we do dress up anyway).

Archived