Tours in Japan, Viet Nam & Thailand

bra1nchild

Cruisermom--

Sorry, but I have been out of town and just saw your question. To the extent it may not be moot by the subsequent conversation, I can offer the following:

1. Yes, you should be able to sue e-mail for any of the hotels. Just be sure that the hotel's e-mail puts you through to the concierge desk.

2. There are usually plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal (metered) or you can make arrangements through one of the hotels or through a tour company for the transfer. If the ship docks anywhere but the cruise terminal, it would probably be best to use either a hotel concierge or tour company for the transfer.

3. As to luggage, you may want to check with your airline and see if there is some way to transfer the luggage to Chaingi (the airport) and check it in or store it early in the day.

Enjoy Singapore.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time we are in Singapore, we make a point of having dinner at Newton Hawker's Center at least one night and sometimes more. The variety of food there is incredible. It's a must, as far as I'm concerned.

We haven't used a guide in Singapore, because it's so easy to get around, there's no language barrier, and we haven't seen any need for a guide. Taxi's are plentiful and reasonable, and the subway system is excellent, cheap, fast, clean, always on time of course, and very user friendly.

The first time we were in Singapore, we took a city tour to get the overview of the city. Excellent and inexpensive, took us to all the major tourist sites, Little India, Chinatown, civic center, etc. It leaves from the covention center? by the Ruffles. Your hotel will have the information. After that, just wonder around. It's one of the safest cities in the world if not the safest, and all signs are in English, so you won't have a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Do a search on these boards for Kyoto tours or guides. He has a website and I think another email address. I found him with several recommendations from the boards. Also, try to email him again, just in case.

We signed up for a 3 day, 2 night excursion with the Queen Victoria in Vietnam since we're not traveling with friends to share a private tour and we're not going to Cambodia. The only China city we are only going to is Hong Kong on this cruise, which we've been to. Don't think HK requires a private tour. We booked a 1 day tour in Bangkok & also in Singapore, where we have all day (12+ hours) before we catch our flight home.

Thanks for your suggestions. We go to 2 other cities in Asia, but I haven't felt like doing the research for tours, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia (not sure what to do here) and Ko Samui, Thailand (don't know what to do here, either). :confused:

Toshi is a Goodwill Guide. They are free guides throughout Japan that have completed requirements. You only pay for their lunch & entry to places. Toshi was about 65 or so, but he was very knowledgeable and able. He was caring for his elderly father last year. I just tried to search for Goodwill guides, but it wouldn't cooperate.

For Toshi's telephone number:

090 is the prefix for a "Keitai", a Japanese mobile telephone.

If you are calling him from outside Japan, you need to first dial the international access code from your country, followed by 81 (country code for Japan), then 90 (not 090), then his number.

If you are calling him from inside Japan, you need only dial 090, followed by his number.

Cruisermom--

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry to be so late responding but we took a quickie 7-day Caribbean on the NCL Spirit. Now I know why I like HAL and the late Orient Line.

I'll let you know if I hear back from Toshi.

Thanks again.

Dave

Archived