Tours in Japan, Viet Nam & Thailand

bra1nchild

We are looking for recommendations of drivers/guides for the Amsterdam's Grand Asia from Seattle to Singapore leaving 10/19/08. Okay, it's almost a year away and we have too much time on our hands.

Our ports include Hakodate, Miyako and Osaka, Japan; Hong Kong; Da Nang and Phu My, Vietnam; and Laem Chabang[bangkok] and Ko Samui, Thailand.

If I never see another HAL Shore Excursion or 46 passenger bus, I will die happy. In about 20 years. :)

Thanks to anyone with suggestions, esp. of people/companies you have used.

We started our cruise last year in Osaka & spent several days there. The highlight was the day used the Japanese Goodwill guide. We emailed Toshi on the recommendation of someone on CC. It was a wonderful day. Because we were nervous to meet him in Kyoto, he met us at our hotel lobby in Osaka with a rented van. There were 4 of us. The only thing we paid for was lunch, any entry tickets & of course the van. We saw a kimona show and loved it, had lunch at a Japanese restaurant & saw all the main sites. Here is our guide's email: toshi-otsu@mve.biglobe.ne.jp. He has a website, but I can't find it right now.

The guides are throughout Japan and all go through training. You do normally go around on foot & local transportation, but it started raining, so it was good we had the van. He wanted us to meet him in Kyoto at the train station, but we were leary to do it by ourselves. Do a search of japan goodwill guides on this forum & you will find more information. I couldn't find all the info, but our trip was March-April, 06; I'd look back in the postings starting in Jan. of 2006 to see if you can find more information.

We're going on another cruise Feb-Mar. of 08 and your Vietnam & Tailand ports are on our itinerary. Hong kong is on this one and last years, also.

We loved Hong Kong, where we disembarked & stayed for 3 days. We opted to use private guides in China last year, but are doing the ships 3 day, 2 night excursion in Vietnam for the 08 one. We're on our own this time.

We've gotten some referrals for guides in China and Viet Nam from other CC'ers but have no first hand experience yet. They came highly recommended, though. If you are interested, I can give you the websites/e-mail addresses.

I'd be interested in the websites, Brainchild. We already booked Vietnam with the cruiseline & it is non-refundable, since a flight is included, but for the other ports, I'd be interested, especially Singapore. We have the entire day there before our flight home. Also would be interested in Bangkok.

Thanks.

As to your question about Singapore:

I urge you to take a day in Singapore if you can. While kind of sterile and lacking in much of historical charm, there is plenty to see and do. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Breakfast with the orangutans at the Singapore Zoo (9:00 am). Not always available so check the Singapore Zoo website. You literally get to eat with orangutans. An experience like no other. Take lots of film. Sometimes, there is tea (4:00pm) with other animals. Check the website. The zoo, by the way, is one of the best in the world.

2. Night safari. Out by the zoo, after sunset. You get to see nocturnal animals. Again, a pretty unique experience.

3. Orchid garden. If you like orchids, this is the greatest collection in the world. It is set inside the botanical gardens, which is itself worth seeing. There is a very good gift shop at the orchid garden as well, but prices are no real bargains.

4. The Raffles Hotel itself, downtown. Refurbished. One of the great colonial hotels in the world. Check out the shops (including the gourmet shop which has magnificent chocolates), the long bar (where the Singapore Sling was invented), and Ah Teng's Bakery (notwithstanding the name, it has wonderful dim sum). It also has very good and reliable antiques stores (expensive) and very good art galleries. One of the greatest tea shops in the world is located along Seah St., one of the streets next to the Hotel, as is Sasha's, a delightful teddy bear shop.

5. Little India. Just what the name implies.

6. Chinatown. Lots and lots of fun, all kinds of shops. While I don't remember the name, there is a very good barbecue (yes, barbecue) place in Chinatown.

7. Shopping along Orchard Road. Shopping is THE Singapore activite and Orchard Road has all of the high end shops. Great people watching too. Check out a couple of the shopping malls (my favorite is Bugis Plaza). Try to go when they are full of people. It is quite a site.

8. Street food, particularly at the "hawker centers." In fact, food anywhere (usuing your usual cautions) is very good here.

9. The Museums. They are all located fairly close to the Raffles and Orchard Ave. The National Museum is quite good but my favorite is the Museum of Asian Culture (I think that's the name). Exceptional rotating exhibits.

As to getting around, you should be able to get a good car and driver for Singapore$35.00 hour (about US$22-25 today) through the concierge desks at any good hotel. (Note that this was the price as of three years ago, ie, 2004, and may very well have gone up in the interim.) I have used Raffles for this. Given how far flung some things are (the zoo and orchid garden)a nd the limited amount of time, public transit will probably just take too long. Avoid a driver who wants to take you on his own tour. You should set up a car/driver well in advance; don't wait until you get there.

I can only hope that you will have as much fun in Singapore as I have had. It is one of those places I love to return to."

To the foregoing, let me add Clarke Quay - gets more interesting in the late afternoon and evenings, with some very good bars and restaurants. A nice place for an evening out.

(Duplicate post; sorry)

As to your question about Singapore:

I urge you to take a day in Singapore if you can. While kind of sterile and lacking in much of historical charm, there is plenty to see and do. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Breakfast with the orangutans at the Singapore Zoo (9:00 am). Not always available so check the Singapore Zoo website. You literally get to eat with orangutans. An experience like no other. Take lots of film. Sometimes, there is tea (4:00pm) with other animals. Check the website. The zoo, by the way, is one of the best in the world.

2. Night safari. Out by the zoo, after sunset. You get to see nocturnal animals. Again, a pretty unique experience.

3. Orchid garden. If you like orchids, this is the greatest collection in the world. It is set inside the botanical gardens, which is itself worth seeing. There is a very good gift shop at the orchid garden as well, but prices are no real bargains.

4. The Raffles Hotel itself, downtown. Refurbished. One of the great colonial hotels in the world. Check out the shops (including the gourmet shop which has magnificent chocolates), the long bar (where the Singapore Sling was invented), and Ah Teng's Bakery (notwithstanding the name, it has wonderful dim sum). It also has very good and reliable antiques stores (expensive) and very good art galleries. One of the greatest tea shops in the world is located along Seah St., one of the streets next to the Hotel, as is Sasha's, a delightful teddy bear shop.

5. Little India. Just what the name implies.

6. Chinatown. Lots and lots of fun, all kinds of shops. While I don't remember the name, there is a very good barbecue (yes, barbecue) place in Chinatown.

7. Shopping along Orchard Road. Shopping is THE Singapore activite and Orchard Road has all of the high end shops. Great people watching too. Check out a couple of the shopping malls (my favorite is Bugis Plaza). Try to go when they are full of people. It is quite a site.

8. Street food, particularly at the "hawker centers." In fact, food anywhere (usuing your usual cautions) is very good here.

9. The Museums. They are all located fairly close to the Raffles and Orchard Ave. The National Museum is quite good but my favorite is the Museum of Asian Culture (I think that's the name). Exceptional rotating exhibits.

As to getting around, you should be able to get a good car and driver for Singapore$35.00 hour (about US$22-25 today) through the concierge desks at any good hotel. (Note that this was the price as of three years ago, ie, 2004, and may very well have gone up in the interim.) I have used Raffles for this. Given how far flung some things are (the zoo and orchid garden)a nd the limited amount of time, public transit will probably just take too long. Avoid a driver who wants to take you on his own tour. You should set up a car/driver well in advance; don't wait until you get there.

I can only hope that you will have as much fun in Singapore as I have had. It is one of those places I love to return to."

To the foregoing, let me add Clarke Quay - gets more interesting in the late afternoon and evenings, with some very good bars and restaurants. A nice place for an evening out.

Here are the websites I found for travel sevices recommended by CC'ers:

http://anntours.com/index.htm -- Viet Nam, Thailand, et. al.

http://beijingservice.com/ -- Shanghai, Beijing, et. al.

We hope to use both next Fall.

I gather that Singapore has Hop On/Hop Off buses as well as taxi drivers who are scrupulous and who will take you on a tour and not change the agreed-on price at the end. Having Singapore dollars may be an advantage.

We are probably meeting our son & his family in Singapore since they are currently living in Jakarta. We'll let them show us around.

My recommendation for a driver would be to go through the concierge desk at any of the best hotels. As noted in my earlier post, I have always used the concierge desk at Raffles Hotel for this and have usually been very pleased with the results. I believe that the name of the driver I had last time was Zainal, but I cannot swear to that, and he was just absolutely terrific - for example, he took us to breakfast one day at an Indian restuarant, where we were the only non-South Asians in the place. Need I mention that the food was exceptional?

Please contact the concierge desk just as soon as possible to make your arrangements and be sure tell the concierge exactly what it is you are looking for, what your interests are, etc. so that the concierge can find the right driver for you. The time I did not do that were the times I was disappointed.

As I said in my earlier post, Singapore is a wonderful place and one to which I will return every chance I get. Enjoy.

We are looking for recommendations of drivers/guides for the Amsterdam's Grand Asia from Seattle to Singapore leaving 10/19/08.Okay, it's almost a year away and we have too much time on our hands.

Our ports include Hakodate, Miyako and Osaka, Japan; Hong Kong; Da Nang and Phu My, Vietnam; and Laem Chabang[bangkok] and Ko Samui, Thailand.

If I never see another HAL Shore Excursion or 46 passenger bus, I will die happy. In about 20 years. :)

Thanks to anyone with suggestions, esp. of people/companies you have used.

In Singapore, I can happily recommend Albert Tan as a taxi/tour guide email at benden@starhub.net.sg Rates are set, $35 Singapore per hour, three hour minimum. Would suggest the Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Chinatown - Albert took us to a really good small museum there providing a view of life in Chinatown in the early 1900s - very interesting, Little India, if you have time, and of course the waterfront area, Raffles for a Singapore Sling, etc. The Zoo is really great and I'm not usually a fan of zoos, and the Orchid Garden is amazing. One of the premier orchid gardens in the world, I understand. We also saw the Jurong Bird Park, which is probably great if it isn't raining - which it was when we went...Albert is a very good driver/guide and will either work out an itinerary for you or make suggestions about how you can get to the things you want to see and do based on your list and available time. He goes with you, helps out with money, will even bargain on your behalf in the markets. For lunches, he took us to places where we were just about the only non-local folks and the food was both inexpensive (a rarity in Singapore!) and very good.

The companies we used in Vietnam offer services throughout the country, I think. We used AsiaKing, contact Mr. Ha, Contact info:

85 Truc Bach Str., Ba Dinh, Hanoi, Vietnam

Tel: ++84 4 7151639

Fax: ++84 4 7151675

Hotline: ++84 912262119

Email : info@asiakingtravel.com

Web Site: www.asiakingtravel.com

Our other trip was with Thi Hoang at Smile Tours Service

Contact infl:

483A, Laic Long Quan, P.5, Q 11, TP, HCM, Vietnam

Tel: (84 8)2654401 Fax: (84 8) 2654402,

email: info@smiletourvn.com or thi_travel@yahoo.com

Web: www.smiletourvn.com

We visted Nha Trang, Vung Tau and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) though, so can't make recommendations about what to see or do in your ports. Both companies provided excellent services to us.

In Bangkok we used www.orientalescapes.com for airport pickup, tours in Bangkok, port drop off and pick up, and airport drop off (we did a back to back starting and ending in Bangkok) and they were generally quite satisfactory. Our tour guide Oat was a total delight. We had a bit of a mix up at the port to airport end, but it all worked out satisfactorily in the end and we were given a prompt refund on a tour we ended up not taking.

In Bangkok, the must see/do list includes the Grand Palace, the Golden, Reclining, and Emerald Buddhas, a long tail boat ride, and, if your trip allows, a morning visit to the floating market. And, of course, shopping and, again, if time permits, having something wonderful tailor made. The tailor shops are amazing and can do incredible work in minimal time. We used Rajawongse next to the Landmark Hotel, and they did a fabulous job for my DH.

Bangkok is a fabulous place and the Thai people are so lovely and gracious. We really want to go back for an extended stay.

Have a wonderful time!!

Donna, another question. Did Albert Tan pick you up at the ship or in town? Can he accomodate a party of four?

Thanks in advance.

mare s.

As we were on the Sapphire, at a container port, with very heavy security, he picked us up at the DFS shop where the ship's shuttle let us off. For smaller ships that can get into the regular cruise terminal he picks up at the ship.

The 'cab' is a Mercedes, can accommodate 4 plus Albert, but it is a bit tight, two in front, three in back.

The distances between attractions isn't all that huge, so you are not in the car that long at a time, so it is doable. I wouldn't want to try it for any long hauls, though.

He did quote me $45 per hour, not $35. Hmmmm... We will have our luggage and will want to go to the airport to drop it off & check in, if possible, then tour the city & be dropped off at the airport later.

Albert said, "If Queen Victoria is as big as Sapphire Princess, then you'll probably be docking at a place call PSA Vista and from there, there'll be a shuttle bus to bring you down to the DFS (Duty Free Shop) just off Orchard Road. This is the drop off and pickup point for all cruise ships docking at PSA Vista."

Anyone know the answer to this?

I emailed him and he quoted me $45 too...but in Singapore dollars...at today's rate, that's about $31 US. I suspect you'll be at the container port too, Sunny.

One other quick question Donna...about what time do the shuttles drop off in the city? Trying to figure out how much time we'll actually have to sightsee.

You've been a great help...thanks so much.

mare

He did quote me $45 per hour, not $35. Hmmmm... We will have our luggage and will want to go to the airport to drop it off & check in, if possible, then tour the city & be dropped off at the airport later.

Albert said, "If Queen Victoria is as big as Sapphire Princess, then you'll probably be docking at a place call PSA Vista and from there, there'll be a shuttle bus to bring you down to the DFS (Duty Free Shop) just off Orchard Road. This is the drop off and pickup point for all cruise ships docking at PSA Vista."

Anyone know the answer to this?

I may have misquoted the amount and given you an estimated USD instead of the the set rate in Singapore dollars. Sorry.

In re: the drop off/pick up if you are at the container port - the shuttles in Asia on the Sapphire were all free to the passengers, but were not supplied by the cruise line - I'm not sure exactly what agency paid for them on a port by port basis, but would assume that it would have been either the Tourism Authority or some version of the Chamber of Commerce. Buses generally started a couple of hours after the stated arrival time - so if your arrival time is 7:00 AM, look for the buses to start running somewhere around 9:00 AM. If you make it on the first bus, you'd arrive at the DFS shop around 9:30 to 9:40 depending on traffic.

Albert, bless him, called the tourism authority and they told him where and when to meet us. We had expected to have to call him from the shops and let him know we were there, but he had already worked it out and was waiting for us. We had initially thought that we were going to be taken to the old cruise terminal and had arranged to meet Albert there, but he had double checked and knew more about where we were going to be than we did! Second time was easier, as we knew what the drill was going to be.

Be aware that when you are ready to return to the ship, the buses pick up at the rear of the DFS shops, and you will need to walk through the shops to the back entrance, or go around the building. It is easier to go through - which is probably the point...:D

We are disembarking with our luggage in Singapore, but our flight is not until 11:30 pm. So, we'll have to take a taxi to wherever Albert is going to meet us. There is no way I'm lugging bags on a shuttle. I do need to learn how to downsize with my packing.

We are disembarking with our luggage in Singapore, but our flight is not until 11:30 pm. So, we'll have to take a taxi to wherever Albert is going to meet us. There is no way I'm lugging bags on a shuttle. I do need to learn how to downsize with my packing.

Interesting problem... I think I'd call the cruise line and ask what the arrangements are re: allowing taxis into the port facility. I can't imagine that they'll only be permitting disembarking passengers to leave on shuttles or cruise buses for transfers.

It may well be that you won't be at the same facility that Sapphire was, as there wasn't a 'terminal' building for luggage or anything like that, so it stands to reason that they will have to take you to someplace that there is. The rules for each facility are probably different, so the first thing is to find out where the dock is, and, then, if there is provision for taxi pick up. If so, Albert can certainly get in, as he's a fully licensed taxi as well as a tour/host.

My only concern for you, for a party of four, would be how much luggage he can handle. I didn't have occasion to check the trunk. I'm sure he can tell you, once you let him know the amount/size of your bags, though.

Archived