Going with Rays, Reefs, and Rum Point / NativeWay....but need SCUBA!!!

GrimesFamily

Hi All. I'm going to be booking the RRR excursion with NativeWays thanks to all the great reviews here. But, I am a certified diver, who feels I'd be missing something if I didn't SCUBA dive during my day in Grand Cayman.

Does anyone know if their is a Dive trip out of Rum Point? Has anyone Scuba dived with NativeWay's???

Should I skip the tour and dive without the family?

Thanks for any input...

Its our first cruise, and I haven't scuba'd in 20 years. I'm really excited to dive, and am certain I walk away disappointed if I didn't. But, I struggle, because spending the day with my wife and our daughter's, 6 and 8, certainly would have ITS rewards.

Selfish one...

Jeff

I know how you feel my husband & I also scuba, we are also doing the RRR tour with our DD & nephew. We are hoping to scuba in the afternoon right at the dock where you tender. There is a dive spot called Eden Rock the website is http://www.edenrockdive.com the rest of the family can rent snorkel gear & snorkel at the same spot for $14.00 it's just a matter of enough time for everything hope this helps

I appreciate your urge to get in a scuba dive in the clear, warm Caribbean waters. Still, as I am sure you understand, you really must get in a review course at home before your trip. Twenty years out of practice is not much better than untrained when it comes to diving safely. Call your local dive shop and schedule a scuba review to get you back in the swing of things.

The Reef, Rays, and Rum Point trip would not provide enough time to dive from Rum Point even if the schedules worked better. You are only at Rum Point for a long lunch break. I am not aware of Nativeway running scuba trips.

Scuba diving is no longer permitted at The Stingray Sandbar. This is in accordance with new management regulations for the Wildlife Interaction Zones in the North Sound.

Frankly, the RRR trip is enough that getting in a shore dive may be tricky. Depending upon your ship's schedule, perhaps you would have enough time to squeeze in a dive at Eden Rock. Maybe you could hire a private dive guide for the trip, or else you need to show up with a qualified dive buddy.

I appreciate your urge to get in a scuba dive in the clear, warm Caribbean waters. Still, as I am sure you understand, you really must get in a review course at home before your trip. Twenty years out of practice is not much better than untrained when it comes to diving safely. Call your local dive shop and schedule a scuba review to get you back in the swing of things.

Hi Drew. I will definitely be taking a refresher. The SSI school near here will offer me 1-1 training at an hourly rate until I'm comfortable again. I wouldn't dive without it.

Still unsure of what o do. It looks like we either split up, or drop the RRR. Maybe a simpler Ray and Reef only trip, then wife and kids to the "shopping district" while dad dives.

I'm searching for a dive buddy on the ship...or 4 (to justify a private excursion. Its worth $100 + rental gear for me to dive, but no way would I pay $500. Heck, the whole family enjoys the dolphins in Cozumel for less than that :)

Eden Rock, I hear is big fish...but is it really "coral and colorful diving? I thought I heard rocky, but haven't heard anyone comparing to the "boat" dives

I am also a certified diver and am going with my girlfriend who doesn't dive. I can't stand the thought of going and not diving! I just found an excursion with stingrays that is not at the "regular stingray city sandbar" (according to the site) that will let the non-divers in the group snorkel. It is offerred through grand cayman dive excursions: ( http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityScubaDiving.htm )

I am sure if you contacted individual dive operations by phone and asked them about dive & snorkel trips and asked about bringing children you could find something. The kids would probably like the boat ride even without the snorkeling.

Archived