First Time in Nassau

Irisy

Hi everyone. I'm a first time cruiser and it's also my first time visiting Nassau. I have been reading up on these boards on suggestions on what to do, but I still couldn't decide.

I have been thinking about snorkling, but I am already planning to do that in Grand Turk. Since it's my first cruise, I want to do something different in each port. What would you recommend to a first-timer?

Thanks in advance for taking your time to reply! :)

Hi everyone. I'm a first time cruiser and it's also my first time visiting Nassau. I have been reading up on these boards on suggestions on what to do, but I still couldn't decide.

I have been thinking about snorkling, but I am already planning to do that in Grand Turk. Since it's my first cruise, I want to do something different in each port. What would you recommend to a first-timer?

Thanks in advance for taking your time to reply! :)

i have been here, you should book a excursion when i was there there was 5 other ships there the streets were crowded.i have booked power snorkel it is so much fun.

I was just in Nassau, yesterday. We didn't plan anything, I didn't think we were going to enjoy this port. When we got off the ship and got to the end of the pier, there were many people selling excursions. We ended up taking an island tour for $28 per person. It was supposed to be a 2 hour tour, but ended up being over 3 hours - our tour guide was awesome, his name was Sean Murray. He took us to all the official type buildings, to fort Fincastle, the Queens staircase, then to the east side of the island. There we drove by beautiful houses and he showed us where the celeberties lived in Paradise island (but it's a gated community and we couldn't get in), he showed us how different classes of people lived and what their houses looked like. Then he took us to Atlantis and went into the aquarium. Some people left our tour, here, to go to the beach and then they took a taxi back, but we stayed with the tour and he pointed out other points of interest on our way back to the ship. We had a really good time.

Any way of locating Sean Murray when we get off the ship? (what does he look like and what is he driving?) How many people on the tour? Is it like an open air safari bus? or a van? or closed bus?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Frouf

There are many tour operators at the end of the pier. I don't know the name of his company, that he drove for. But it was a blue van that held (at the most) 12-13 people, we had 9 on our tour. You could, probably, ask for him at the end of the pier. He was not a big man, maybe, 5'8" and thin. Everybody seemed to know him, everywhere we went, so just ask if anyone has seen him. He was very knowledgable about the islands. I'm still on vacation, but when I get home (I'll be home late tomorrow night) I'll go through my papers and pictures and everything and see if I can find more info, for you.

There are many tour operators at the end of the pier. I don't know the name of his company, that he drove for. But it was a blue van that held (at the most) 12-13 people, we had 9 on our tour. You could, probably, ask for him at the end of the pier. He was not a big man, maybe, 5'8" and thin. Everybody seemed to know him, everywhere we went, so just ask if anyone has seen him. He was very knowledgable about the islands. I'm still on vacation, but when I get home (I'll be home late tomorrow night) I'll go through my papers and pictures and everything and see if I can find more info, for you.

Thanks for the info Tracers - much appreciated - will try to locate Mr. Murray but if you have any additional info would love to have it - we are leaving next Monday!

Froufie

Thanks for the info Tracers - much appreciated - will try to locate Mr. Murray but if you have any additional info would love to have it - we are leaving next Monday!

Froufie

Just wanted to pop in and say HELLO!

Another cruise already! You go girl!!!

Happy sailings!

Going to the bahamas this Feb. (just a quickie 4 nighter).

Let me know how you made out with this tour if you go.

Donna

Just wanted to pop in and say HELLO!

Another cruise already! You go girl!!!

Happy sailings!

Going to the bahamas this Feb. (just a quickie 4 nighter).

Let me know how you made out with this tour if you go.

Donna

HI DONNA!

How are you and Dave doing??? So nice to hear from you - yup I was conned into a FAMILY VACATION - I am dreading it - not quite the same as travelling solo as I am dragging around 3 kids and a hubby too! Wish me luck!

(I think I will need another cruise after this don't you think?;) )

Have fun in feb - what ship?

Will let you know what we end up doing in Nassau!

Frouf

Hey, Froufie! We'd planned on doing the walking tour, but if it's raining (at this point, it says 40% chance, so who knows), DD and I may join you on this one, if you don't mind and there's room!

Well hopefully the weather reports are WRONG WRONG WRONG! My gang of course does not want to walk (lazy good for nothings - but actually dh still has a heel injury from recent running experience). You are more than welcome to join us - however as mentioned I can't see us being up and out before 8 or 8:30 am at which time I"m sure Mr. Murray and others may be long gone??? So feel free to grab him if you can - if we are around it would be great fun to tour together tho!

Frouf

Froufie, I'm jealous. You are cruising again so soon.

Donna and Dave, Hi, how are you 2 doing?

Rick

Hi Rick - how's it going! Yup cruising again - but not quite the same as my 'solo' experiences as I am taking the whole family (dh and 3 kids) so not a real vacation for me - gee I might even need another crusie after this just to relax!;)

Will send pics when I'm back!

Frouf

My suggestion for Nassau. Stay on the ship and enjoy yourself.

Thanks, but no thanks.

This will be my 4th stop in Nassau, and I plan on taking a walking tour, unless it's raining, in which case I'll probably try one of these van tours.

I chose my itinerary because of the ports (I wanted St Thomas and San Juan) without a lot of sea days.

Rather than continuing to just do excursions, I figured it was time to see a bit more of the island. I mean, that's why I cruise.

To each his own! But the thread IS about what to do, not what to not do!

Any one have any suggestions about fishing. I'm taking my 60+ year old dad and he loves to fish.

If you're not looking for deep sea fishing, here is a site I found where you can do some light tackle fishing with your dad. bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauSnorkelingCharters.htm

My husband likes to fish, we were in Nassau in October & went sailing & are going back on a cruise in January without the kids, so I’ve been researching things for us to do. If you are into deep sea fishing, just google deep sea fishing in Nassau & many come up.

Sorry, fellow cc'ers, for taking this off topic;)

Froufie, I'm jealous. You are cruising again so soon.

Donna and Dave, Hi, how are you 2 doing?

Rick

Good to see ya on the boards!

That Froufie, always cruising.

Must have pick up the cruise again bug from her, as we are cruising again in Feb.

Had a cruise booked for next Oct. 08, but when this cruise on the Majesty of the Seas popped up on my cruise radar for a quick 4 nighter ( got a great resident rate of $170pp.& $100 obc:p ) had to book this one also.

Only doing Nassau (8am till midnite, never been there, excluding Freeport), Coco Cay, and Key West (10am till 6pm)more time in the ports is what did me in.

Donna

If you're not looking for deep sea fishing, here is a site I found where you can do some light tackle fishing with your dad. bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauSnorkelingCharters.htm

My husband likes to fish, we were in Nassau in October & went sailing & are going back on a cruise in January without the kids, so I’ve been researching things for us to do. If you are into deep sea fishing, just google deep sea fishing in Nassau & many come up.

Thanks!!!:) I'm not sure if dad is sure footed enough for a deep sea fishing trip.

Archived