Line Cruiser on Galaxy - Oct. 18

HowardB

I am thinking of going on the October 18 sailing on the Celebrity Galaxy out of Baltimore. This would be my second cruise ever (first was on a Windstar transatlantic trip) and my first by myself. The first trip was with my partner - now I have some I have a few questions:

Is it relatively easy to meet and talk to people when by oneself on a cruise? I would just be looking for some "chat" time.

How are lines for port calls/restaurants, etc on these large ships? Does the ship feel crowded? On my fist cruise, there were only 83 passengers, so I have a hard time digesting that there would be maybe 1,500 plus on here.

Thanks!!

Hi Howard,

My partner & I love Celebrity ships, so we have an obvious bias here. <grin> Your going from a Windstar experience to a mega-ship experience will be quite the change. But we would encourage you to go and enjoy the experience!

How easy it is to meet and chat with people depends on your level of comfort in doing so. Are you at all outgoing and extroverted, do you strike up conversations easily in situations like restaurants and shopping malls? If so, you'll be fine!

Yes, the Galaxy is a large vessel, and when fully loaded will have 2,000 passengers and 1,000 crew. But it's a beautiful vessel, nicely appointed and very well laid out. Even though they're large, their design minimizes the feeling of being crowded, and rarely do you ever stand in lines. We've sailed on these Century-class ships several times and love them.

As for meeting fellow gay travelers, that always seems to be fairly easy, too. We've yet to sail on Celebrity when we didn't find very friendly fellow travelers, both gay and straight. We've found Celebrity to attract a more sophisticated traveler who appreciates a bit more cosmopolitan cruising experience than some of the more mainstreamed 'cattle call' ships.

Best wishes to you and happy sailings!

Archived