Diamond Princess Shorex Feedback

as19111

We just returned from a fabulous vacation and I thought I would provide some feedback on my opinion of the excursions. Please note that this is strictly my opinion, based on my experiences and my expectations. In addition, the day of the week you are in port can have a strong influence on what you see/do.

Friday: Hilo - Secrets of PUNA: This tour travels with no more than 6 people in an SUV (e.g. Chevy Suburban for us). Ana was our knowledgable tour guide. She is a native Hawaiian and demonstrated that she truly enjoys her job, and loves her island. Many Hawaiians refer to us as cousins or family. By the end of this tour, we felt like family. Part of the tour was eliminated (and it was a good part). They no longer go to Champagne Pond(they closed it). We were told this was due to the Coast Guard concerns about the water quality at the pond --- so no snorkling.

The tour is replaced by a trip to a coffee fruit and spice farm. There is a demonstration of the coffee berry to roasted bean, a coffee tasting, and samples and tastings of a variety of fruits and macadamia nuts. We then took a hike to Rainbow Falls. We viewed the falls from a different perspective as we were on private land. Ana served us mimosa's, Hawaiian beer, snacks, and was prepared for a photo op. In addition, we hiked over a utility bridge to view the falls from another perspective. Lunch was served on another private ground...it was very good, and the view was beautiful. We visited more private land to see one of two lakes on the big island. The vegetation there was very interesting. From there we went to the Iron Tree Forest (MacKenzie Park?) and took in some spectacular views of the cliffs, and the coast. Our final stop of the day was a lava field. We hiked about a quarter mile over the lava to reach the black sand beach. It is something to see, and a highlight of our day. Throughout the day, Ana, provided excellent narration of the community from a very personal level. Last boarding call was 5:30, and we were at the pier at 5:29! This is not a typical first time to Hawaii tour, but we loved every minute of it with our "family".

Saturday: Kona -- Atlantic Submarine: This tour transfers you from the pier to the submarine by way of a tender. You board the sub offshore. The entire excursion is only about an hour. Each person SHARES a large porthole with another person. The sub dropped down to about 110 ft on our trip. We saw a large variety of fish, coral, sea urchins, morey eel, and a sunken ship that serves as a natural reef. It's a great way to "snorkel" for those who prefer not to swim with the fishes:D . I enjoyed it.

Satuday Afternoon: Kona - Kona Highlights: This is a coach bus tour that took us to a coffee farm (and a large gift shop) with free coffee samples. The driver, Lincoln, was a native Hawaiian and once again, really gave us an in depth view of plants, vegetation (he called the wild pointsettia rubbish) and the coffee bean harvesting process. We stopped at the Painted Church (very pretty), the Place of Refuge (very interesting) and passed a lot of newer construction about which he had strong opinions. I found it interesting, but a bit long.

Sunday: Honolulu - Pearl Harbor and City Tour: I'll concentrate on the city tour here. After visiting Pearl Harbor(while extremely crowded, it's a must do and worthwhile), the coach bus driver took us up to a lookout point with spectacular views. Again, we were fortunate to have a native Hawaiian who gave us a lot of information about the island, the rain/drought concerns, the absence of waterfalls, and the history of life before Hawaii became a state, including the attack at Pearl Harbor. We passed many interesting churches, and buildings, and also a homestead development on our way to Punchbowl Crater National Cemetery. We were not permitted to get off the bus there, but it was a moving sight, none the less. We returned to the pier and had a few hours to explore on our own. I enjoyed this, too.

Monday: Kuaui - Wailea Canyon, Waimea River and Fern Grotto: ok, this is day three of a coach bus tour, and it's starting to get to me. Sitting behind us was someone who tried to cough up a lung for 6 hours.:( The driver, Nani, was great. Another native Hawaiian, she continued to tell us about the development of Kuaui, the island of Niehau (sp?) and would spell every Hawaiian name she mentioned. The drive to the canyon was long and windy. I really have to give her credit for doing this 7 days a week. It is not an easy drive. We stopped at a resort for buffet lunch and across the road was a view of the sleeping giant mountain. We then headed over to the river for a boat ride to the grotto. The boat ride was short and truly just ok even though they did provide live entertainment, but it was a cattle car ride to the grotto. The grotto was just ok. It's damaged from some storms, and the ferns have not returned to their former glory. You can only stand on a platform and look at the grotto, but you cannot go into it or look at it closely. This trip due to the length of time spent in the bus, and the minimal time spent at the destinations is not recommended. If you want to do them in the half day tour, choose one, but not both. It was a very long day in that bus....cough, cough, cough!

Tuesday: Lahaina - Lana'i 4x4 trekker: Prior to cruising I could not get feedback on this excursion, and almost cancelled. What a great place! On the 45 minute ferry ride over and back you can also whale watch. We did spot 4 blowholes and a splash, but being a ferry, we did not stop to watch. On arrival, our guide greeted us and took 5 of us in a Chevy Suburban for a tour of Lana'i. The island is privately owned by David Murdoch (98%), and was formerly the pineapple plantion for Dole. The island has 3200 inhabitants, and development is all but limited to current property only. There are two golf courses designed by Greg Norman and Jack Nicklaus and two Four Seasons resorts. Bruce (a native of Hawaii but not Hawaiian ancestry) gave us a great tour and history of the island, and spoke of how much everyone respects David Murdoch and his vision for keeping Lana'i undeveloped. He even took us past his home. The homes on Lana'i are mostly plantation homes passed down generation to generation. We took a bumpy dirt road to an area known as the Garden of the Gods. It is a very different terrain from anything we saw on any of the islands and quite beautiful. We then drove down to shipwreck beach and spent some time there looking at sea turtles, coral reefs, and explored the coral washed up on the beach. Nice place to whale watch, also. We had lunch in town, and then returned to the ferry. I enjoyed this tour (and it wasn't on a coach bus).

That said, we really did not see Maui, and that forces us to plan to return to see what we missed.;)

Hope that helps anyone looking for some info.

Andrea

Thank you very much for taking the time to do the perspective on your tours. (Sorry that you met the 'deep cougher' I had on my bus when I did a tour in 1986. Didn't think she'd make it thru the following 24 hours much less the next 21 years...:rolleyes:)

It helps others so much when someone is willing to do this for us future cruisers. Reading the 'brochure' view of an experience doesn't give us any real life info. ....which all of us who are desperately waiting to get to Hawaii crave!:D

Yes, you DEFINITELY should return to the islands. Besides Maui, I'm pretty sure you will start to recall other things you didn't get around to, while you were there!;)

Thanks Again, Andrea :)

as19111

Please tell me honestly if you feel the boat ride on the river and the visit to Fern Grotto is worth the time and money. You are one of several posters whose comments on on this excursion were not very favorable.

We will be on the Diamond in 102 days, and this was one of the excursions we were thinking about doing. Now, not so sure.

As another possibiity, we were considering the Wiamea Canyon tour, but it sounds like the bus ride is a couple of hours each way. That doesn't sound very appealing. Was it worth the ride? Would you do that again, knowing what you know now?

Thanks.

as19111

Please tell me honestly if you feel the boat ride on the river and the visit to Fern Grotto is worth the time and money. You are one of several posters whose comments on on this excursion were not very favorable.

We will be on the Diamond in 102 days, and this was one of the excursions we were thinking about doing. Now, not so sure.

As another possibiity, we were considering the Wiamea Canyon tour, but it sounds like the bus ride is a couple of hours each way. That doesn't sound very appealing. Was it worth the ride? Would you do that again, knowing what you know now?

Thanks.

IMHO, no to the river/fern grotto. You and 150 others will crowd onto a platform and look up at the grotto. There will be a performance of the Hawaiian Wedding Song, and then you go back in the boat. Now, when you are there, the flowers might be in bloom making the walk up to the grotto more interesting, but I will tell some folks doing this trip in April to skip this one.

The canyon was a long ride (which then doubled back to get to the river), but it was interesting because the driver was very informative along the way. However, you spend only 20 minutes or so at the canyon overlook and then back onto the bus. If I had to choose one of the two, the canyon tour would be the choice.

If you are renting a car to do this, you have much more freedom to break the ride up with stops at scenic overlooks, but I caution you that there are "rules" of the canyon road and there are buses sharing a very narrow, windy road with the cars including hairpin turns. The bus drivers know what to do, I'm not as sure about the car drivers.

It's just my opinion, but I did read other comments and it sounds like 80% shared my feelings on the grotto.

Hope it helps.

:) Thank-you for the information as19111.

On the Puna excursion - - how strenuous was the hiking? And there was NO snorkeling on this trip?

The hiking required agility to cross over the utility bridge, and over the lava fields. One could enjoy the lava fields without crossing them, but then you would not see the black sand beach.

NO snorkling...I don't know if Champagne Pond will reopen, and the tour may change again, but our guide told us it had been closed for about a month (this was 11/23). The neat part about that segment was that there was a drive over lava fields from 1955. These fields were quite rough, and it would have made for an interesting ride. I did not plan to snorkle, but in the Princess notice, they stated not to wear a bathing suit or bring a towel.

I also failed to mention that on the drive to the Iron Forest, a brief video is played describing the lava destruction of the town of PUNA. It reinforced the fierceness of the lava flow devestation.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi AS19111, I will be on the Diamond on 4-1-08 and would like to know since you just got off about the piers on each island and what's around the area to see and do. Were you tendered into Kona and Kauai? Did the ship dock in Lahaina? Was it within walking distance to all of the shops? Any info is helpful...Thanks, Gypsylady

Hi AS19111, I will be on the Diamond on 4-1-08 and would like to know since you just got off about the piers on each island and what's around the area to see and do. Were you tendered into Kona and Kauai? Did the ship dock in Lahaina? Was it within walking distance to all of the shops? Any info is helpful...Thanks, Gypsylady

Hope I can remember this correctly! The stops that were tendered were Kona, Kauai, and Lahaina. Kona's shopping district was right there and was easy to walk around. There was a palace on the main road that you could tour, too, as well as a large banyon tree (but not like Maui's). WalMart and Hilo Hattie shuttles were waiting at the pier. There was a small beach right at the pier were some folks were swimming, and paddle surfing. So Kona was convenient for a variety of activities.

Kauai required more walking to get to a shopping mall. I really didn't notice much near the pier. There is a Marriott resort close to the pier on the road to the mall, and if you wanted to sit on the beach, I think that is the closest spot...and a golf course adjacent to it. I think there was a Hilo Hattie shuttle, but don't remember seeing a WalMart.

Lahaina is a great port to just walk and wander, too. There is THE Banyon tree to see, which is amazing. There are shops up and down the street, and tour kiosks for whale watching, submarine rides, rent a Harley, etc. You can take the 45 minute ferry to Lanai but once you get there, you really need a ride to get into town, or a long walk to the closest beach. Back at Lahaina, further away is the old whalers village, which we did not get to see because we were on a limited time schedule and wanted to catch the tender.

The other ports were docked at the pier. Hilo had stands right inside the pier. They also had the Hilo Hattie and WalMart shuttles. I think you needed to take the shuttles to get to the shopping areas.

In Honolulu, we were there on a Sunday, and docked at pier 10-11 adjacent to Aloha Tower. There is a very nice shopping mall right there, and you are in walking distance to the downtown business area, Chinatown, and other things. There is the WalMart shuttle, and a trolley bus that may have gone to Waikiki but I'm not sure. Public transportation is readily available but I got the impression that some folks told you all buses lead to the pier and that wasn't really the case. (We finally broke down and took the WalMart shuttle. It was 3:15 and the last shuttle back to the pier was 4:15, but taxis were readily available at the store. It was a WalMart...on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We made the 4:15.)

Ensenada was an interesting place in a curious way. You could shop right at the pier including pharmaceuticals and liquor, take the bus into town, or walk into town. On the bus, they try to sell a tour to the blowhole and a flea market (but it was Sunday so I'm not sure if the flea market runs every day). When you get off the bus, if you walk towards the water, there are pelicans, seals, some stands, and along the side streets there are restaurants and fish markets. If you get off the bus and walk across the street past the McDonalds, there is another street of shops with a better!?!?? selection. To the right of the bus stop is a park with some plaques and sculptures relating to Mexican history. I didn't really see this until we were on the bus back to the pier, but I would have stopped to look at this, if I could. I'm going to try and post my Ensenda photos a bit later.

So, I hope this helps somewhat. Since we chose to take all our excursions through Princess, our free time was very limited, and I'm sure I missed a great deal in the summary above.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have a great time.

Andrea

All ships tender at Lahaina and you are right in the heart of Lahaina town. All ships tender at Kona, and you are close to Ali'i Dr., where you can wander along and enjoy. I wasn't aware that ships tendered at Nawiliwili, but can tell you that it is an industrial pier area. However, there's a shopping center within walking distance, as well as the Marriott, which is fronted by a nice beach. For "wandering" around you'll need a rental car or to take one of the shopping (Hilo Hattie, WalMart, etc.) shuttles.

beachchick

Hey BeachChick finally getting down to nailing all our plans. You were very helpful early on.

AS1911-- Thanks for your helpful reporting. I have signed on for the Tropical Garden tour. Is that the one you were reviewing? I was just starting to wonder what we would do after the tours. So know I know there is a lot to see.

We live about 20 miles outside of Philadelphia. I worked there for many years in 19148 and I lived in 19143.

We will be taking the train to LA.

Hey BeachChick finally getting down to nailing all our plans. You were very helpful early on.

AS1911-- Thanks for your helpful reporting. I have signed on for the Tropical Garden tour. Is that the one you were reviewing? I was just starting to wonder what we would do after the tours. So know I know there is a lot to see.

We live about 20 miles outside of Philadelphia. I worked there for many years in 19148 and I lived in 19143.

We will be taking the train to LA.

We did not take the Tropical Garden tour. If your question was on the afternoon Kona tour, the bus driver provided non-stop commentary on all the roadside vegetation. In fact, maybe because of the season, there were less tropical flowers than I imagined I would see, except on resort properties. So, I would think the Tropical Garden tour would have a more comprehensive view...or am I expecting a Hawaiian version of Longwood Gardens:D !

The train to LA sounds like an interesting adventure, too. Have a safe journey.

We did not take the Tropical Garden tour. If your question was on the afternoon Kona tour, the bus driver provided non-stop commentary on all the roadside vegetation. In fact, maybe because of the season, there were less tropical flowers than I imagined I would see, except on resort properties. So, I would think the Tropical Garden tour would have a more comprehensive view...or am I expecting a Hawaiian version of Longwood Gardens:D !

I just noticed that the one I am thinking about is in Kauai. It is going to take some time for me to get the names of the different islands in my head and keep then straight. Too much like work for me.

The train to LA sounds like an interesting adventure, too. Have a safe journey.

I keep on wanting to go to Longwood gardens. Have not been there yet. Maybe one day. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Secrets of PUNA: This tour travels with no more than 6 people in an SUV (e.g. Chevy Suburban for us). Ana was our knowledgable tour guide. She is a native Hawaiian and demonstrated that she truly enjoys her job, and loves her island. Many Hawaiians refer to us as cousins or family. By the end of this tour, we felt like family. Part of the tour was eliminated (and it was a good part). They no longer go to Champagne Pond(they closed it). We were told this was due to the Coast Guard concerns about the water quality at the pond --- so no snorkling.

The tour is replaced by a trip to a coffee fruit and spice farm. There is a demonstration of the coffee berry to roasted bean, a coffee tasting, and samples and tastings of a variety of fruits and macadamia nuts. We then took a hike to Rainbow Falls. We viewed the falls from a different perspective as we were on private land. Ana served us mimosa's, Hawaiian beer, snacks, and was prepared for a photo op. In addition, we hiked over a utility bridge to view the falls from another perspective. Lunch was served on another private ground...it was very good, and the view was beautiful. We visited more private land to see one of two lakes on the big island. The vegetation there was very interesting. From there we went to the Iron Tree Forest (MacKenzie Park?) and took in some spectacular views of the cliffs, and the coast. Our final stop of the day was a lava field. We hiked about a quarter mile over the lava to reach the black sand beach. It is something to see, and a highlight of our day. Throughout the day, Ana, provided excellent narration of the community from a very personal level. Last boarding call was 5:30, and we were at the pier at 5:29! This is not a typical first time to Hawaii tour, but we loved every minute of it with our "family".

Andrea,

I am very interested in this tour, but have a fear of heights. How high was the utility bridge? Did you have to cross it or could you stay behind?

Thanks for all the great info.

Linda

Andrea,

I am very interested in this tour, but have a fear of heights. How high was the utility bridge? Did you have to cross it or could you stay behind?

Thanks for all the great info.

Linda

There was a very spry man celebrating his 80th birthday on the tour, and he crossed the bridge. I don't recall the height being too intimidating...agility is needed, though. You could choose not to cross the bridge. Once the view was seen, everyone crossed back over and headed out to another viewpoint. In fact, if you choose not to cross, you could just hike up a small hill to the other viewpoint and wait for the group there.

I think crossing the lava flow to see the black sand beach was more difficult than crossing the bridge because of the uneven surface...and our 80 year old friend did that, too!

Hope that helps! Enjoy the trip!

Archived