The American Line

Can any of you nautical historians tell me about this cruise line? I believe they were originally The American Steamship Line and then shortened to American Line. I have 3 wine glasses that belonged to my grandmother with their logo on them. Thanks!

Afraid I can't help you too much here... You're going way, way back in history, much further back than I do.

However, a search on Google did reveal that there is a [url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393047105/103-8244246-6375847?v=glance"]book[/url] which has been published about this line, and the book description from Amazon.com does give a brief history of the line. It apperas from some other sites found on Google, that the line was bought out by the very well-known Belgian-American joint venture Red Star Line. They ceased operations in 1934 but two of their ships as well as the Red Star Line name were sold to legendary shipowner Arnold Bernstein who ran them under the German flag, but on the same Antwerp-Southampton-New York service. Red Star Line was bought out in 1939 by Holland America since Bernstein, being Jewish, was prohibited from owning a business during the Nazi regime.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emerald777:
[B]Host Doug - Thanks so much for the info![/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're most welcome. As I said it's not really my area of expertise (if I can really be considered an expert on anything at all) but I hope I did help at least give you some leads to chase!

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

• 3 years later...

Archived