Ghost ship???? on L.A. news this morning!

I can't find any info on this...my husband said our local news station here in So. Calif. flew over an abandonded ship of the coast of Los Angeles this morning. I can't find any info on it and knew that if ANYONE knew about it, Doug would!!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Hi Doug! My husband insisted it was a very nice ship...our local news in L.A. is amazingly lame! It will follow a vehicle pursuit for hours and hours...hard to believe that that's ALL that's happening in L.A.!!! I'll check to see if their website is up and running again. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

I've looked everywhere and am now wondering if my husband might not have had his glasses on!!!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I have a feeling it was maybe the boat that used to go to Catalina?! LOL!!!!!!

No your Husband is right, There is a Cruise ship that is in the Long Beach Harbor because the company that ran it went bankrupt and now it sits by order of the court. I can't think of the name of it right now, But I will post it when I remember it.

Countdown Till the Adventure Oct 10 2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drdisney:
[B]There is a Cruise ship that is in the Long Beach Harbor[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah... That's OLYMPIA EXPLORER, formerly of Royal Olympic Cruises. She's not abandoned though, just laid-up temporarily.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Host Doug']<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drdisney:
[B]There is a Cruise ship that is in the Long Beach Harbor[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah... That's OLYMPIA EXPLORER, formerly of Royal Olympic Cruises. She's not abandoned though, just laid-up temporarily.

Doug Newman
Cruise Critic Message Boards Host
e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com[/QUOTE]

I understand that the OLYMPIA EXPLORER will be sailing with "Semester at Sea", replacing the UNIVERSE EXPLORER. The real ghost ship will be the UNIVERSE EXPLORER unless it is picked up by some cruiseline. I wish that it could return to the World Explorer Cruise Line. They had the best Alaska cruises and many people would like to see them back.

-Journeyman

[quote name='Journeyman']The real ghost ship will be the UNIVERSE EXPLORER unless it is picked up by some cruiseline. I wish that it could return to the World Explorer Cruise Line. They had the best Alaska cruises and many people would like to see them back.[/QUOTE]At the time of this announcement there was a rumor that World Explorer would be taking back UNIVERSE EXPLORER to use year-round, which would be great. I haven't heard any more since so I'm leaning towards thinking that it isn't true but I still have my fingers crossed there.

The downside of UNIVERSE EXPLORER is her fuel consumption; she is very inefficient. Otherwise despite her age she seems to be in good condition and, almost uniquely among ships her age, I believe she should comply with all future SOLAS requirements. She could also be reflagged in the US for coastwise service (between US ports) if someone wanted to as an Act of Congress to permit her or her sister (the now deceased ENCHANTED ISLE) to be reflagged was passed some time ago. (These ships were US-built, but since they were sold to foreign owners in the 1970s, they required the Act of Congress to become eligible to be US-flagged for coastwise trade.)

Great news! I don't know yet if the UNIVERSE EXPLORER will be the ship, but World Explorer Cruise Line will be back for the 2005 season. The ship that will be used is being updated in Hong Kong. The UNIVERSE EXPLORER is in Hong Kong parked at Western Anchorage #3. It is a good ship for what World Explorer tries to provide. Can't wait to see the schedual for their Alaskan cruises.

-Journeyman

[quote name='Journeyman']Great news! I don't know yet if the UNIVERSE EXPLORER will be the ship, but World Explorer Cruise Line will be back for the 2005 season. The ship that will be used is being updated in Hong Kong. The UNIVERSE EXPLORER is in Hong Kong[/QUOTE]Then my guess would be that the ship in question is probably her :) .

I'm really glad to hear this news; World Explorer sounded like a fascinating line and it should be even better now that they will have their own ship all year-round.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Host Doug'][b]There is a Cruise ship that is in the Long Beach Harbor. [/b]
Ah... That's OLYMPIA EXPLORER, formerly of Royal Olympic Cruises. She's not abandoned though, just laid-up temporarily.[/QUOTE]
So that's what that ship was..... I thought it looked odd when I saw it there. :rolleyes:

Archived