Barbados Restaurants

bzv143

I've been corresponding with Sarah of Glory Tours (with thanks to you all on this thread who recommended her) regarding our upcoming trip to Barbados after Christmas. She recommended the following restaurants:

• Tides
  • Champers
  • Aqua
  • Thirty Nine Steps
  • Brown Sugar

Any comments about these will be much appreciated (i.e. dress code, type of food, location, best for local cuisine, price, etc.). Also, if we wanted High Tea on a Friday afternoon, where should we go? We are staying at Amaryllis.

Thanks!

Cnampers, on eastern cliff of Accra beach. Get an outside table. Fine food, I had the lobster and still talk about it. Also in my opinion the best dirty martini on the island.

Brown Sugar. great local dishes includding pepperpot, macaroni pie, peas and rice fish, stew etc.

Those are the only two on the list that I ate at. You will enjoy them. Brown sugar is on the street that leads to the Hilton.

Try Chatters Tea Room at Bagatelle Great House for Afternoon Tea during your stay. It's a really great little Tea Room, but make reservations, and leave the south coast with enough time to get there.

I can certainly recommend all but Aqua on your list.. I've never eaten there (Husband wasn't terribly impressed with his last meal there). 39Steps is my favorite, followed by Tides, and Champers but for really great Bajan Food, nothing beats Brown Sugar for lunch.

If you're staying at Amaryllis,

then 39 Steps is virtually on the grounds of that South Coast hotel

and gives excellent value for money.

Just walk across the car park, up a flight of steps and you're there.

. . . . . . . . . .

Wife went to Chatters Tea Room at Bagatelle, and says it's 'lovely'

and they feed you well. :)

SunnieBGI and Aplmac--thanks for the restaurant info AND the proximity info of 39 Steps.

I am glad you mentioned Tea--is Bagatelle as good as Sandy Lane for High Tea? We want to have high tea while in Barbados for our short period of time (3 days) and were told to go to Sandy lane (very posh I assume). But, hey, I just want to enjoy the Tea experience (I miss it a la Merry Olde Englande).

Also, I am having a hard time visualizing exactly where Amaryllis is from Bridgetown, Accra beach, The Gap, etc. What will our taxi fares be from Amaryllis to, say, Sandy Lane or Bagatelle, and will 12/28 be a bad time to try High Tea, & restaurants--crowds, etc? I know I have a lot of questions here, but any information will be much appreciated! :)

Tea--is Bagatelle as good as Sandy Lane for High Tea? We want to have high tea while in Barbados for our short period of time (3 days) and were told to go to Sandy lane (very posh I assume).

Also, I am having a hard time visualizing exactly where Amaryllis is from Bridgetown, Accra beach, The Gap, etc.

What will our taxi fares be from Amaryllis to, say, Sandy Lane or Bagatelle,

and will 12/28 be a bad time to try High Tea, & restaurants--crowds, etc? :)

Stick with the Bagatelle thing for Tea.

Sandy Lane with overcharge you for no real extra value received

- and Sandy Lane is further away!

but it's your money

Amaryllis, then Accra ..then The Gap

are all East-South-East of Bridgetown

- in that order travelling out, along the South Coast.

Will it be busy coming on the New Year?

yes but not unbearably so.

Taxi fares?

I don't use them...maybe someone else??

Archived