A really stupid sun screen question

WinnieinWA

I remember when we were on a cruise, we all managed to get burned. The first one up in the cabin had to get the aloe vera spray and spray down the rest of the family before they could get up. Not fun.

My dad actually had melanoma, so now, we're all really careful about applying sunscreen, staying in the shade always. I also learned about the part of the hair, but I just pull my hair back so the part is covered by my hair. Tops of the feet and back of the knees are don't miss spots. When the tops of your feet get burned, it gets really difficult to wear those cute shoes.

I'm not sure if you can get this in the States, but in most Airports in Europe certainly, they sell Riemann P20 sunscreen. It's a liquid that you apply all over your body (I mean all over, in your hair and everywhere) and you don't need to apply it again that day. You can shower, swim and towel dry without losing its protection. At spf 20 it's more than enough protection for me and I'm fair skinned and burn very easily. It's a bit of a pain to apply, and if you don't let it dry completely, it stains your clothes, but if you apply and leave for 45 minutes, it's done, and you can fotget applying it again all day, great if you go to the beach with all that sand to get stuck on your freshly coated skin.

Its expensive at about £18 ($35) a bottle. but what price a bad sunburn?

I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and I want to recommend the best sunscreen I've ever used - Neutragena SPF 70 (Ultrasheer I think was the name). This stuff has been a miracle worker both on the cruise and a trip to Brazil. I'm *very* fair (I call it perma-pale) and burn very easily. I was able to wear a sleeveless shirt outside all day on two port days without any burn. The only areas that got a little sun were where my sunglasses rub the top of my cheeks. I was really worried that I had burned because I didn't ever reapply, but it all turned out fine. This stuff just plain works!

Archived