A really stupid sun screen question

WinnieinWA

Coming from the Pacific Northwest where sunburn is never a problem......(overcast and cloudy most of the time)........does sunscreen applied to the body prevent sun BURN in the E. Carribean?:confused:

Thanks

Winnie <-----------> not wanting to experience sunBURN pain

Thanks bunches but I'd like to know if it prevents BURN?

I honestly do not know so I guess I'll call or visit my pharmecist.

I just do not want to burn and be in agony.

Thanks for the info! :)

Winnie<--> pale as can be

Thanks bunches but I'd like to know if it prevents BURN?

I honestly do not know so I guess I'll call or visit my pharmecist.

I just do not want to burn and be in agony.

Thanks for the info! :)

Winnie<--> pale as can be

It all depends how long you plan to be in direct sun.

We in Queensland Australia, have the highest incidents of skin cancer, and melanomas in the world(I had one, malignant, but was saved ... blame the ever diminishing ozone layer, and my mother telling me to play in the sun, when I was a kid.)

Our motto here is SLIP, SLOP, SLAP

SLIP ON A T-SHIRT

SLOP ON SOME SUNSCREEN

AND SLAP ON A HAT..

It is on all our media every summer.

You will burn , if you are out there long enough, put on heaps of 50+

and be sure to do the parts that you think will miss out. underarms, soles of feet, ears etc etc...re apply, re apply, re apply.

have fun in the sun

The key is to put a sunscreen on with a high spf rating as noted by cruizingwithkids, and also to put it on several times during the course of the day if you are out for long times at a time. Other factors include your complextion. If in doubt wear additional clothing, and a hat and do not stay out for long periods at a time

Keith

DH and I usually go to the tanning beds a couple of weeks before we cruise.

I tan well but have burnt before in the Carribean so please be careful.

The tanning bed gives you a base tan but even with the base tan use at least a 45 spf. After about 5 days we usually drop down to a 30.

Make sure to reapply often. I did get a horrible burn on my back when we were on an excursion that had 3 snorkel stops. I reapplied after each stop but forgot the back after the last stop. That 30 minutes I got completely fried. It sure made the flight home horrible, couldnt lean back in my seat the entire 6 hours of flights.

DH and I usually go to the tanning beds a couple of weeks before we cruise.

I tan well but have burnt before in the Carribean so please be careful.

The tanning bed gives you a base tan but even with the base tan use at least a 45 spf. After about 5 days we usually drop down to a 30.

Make sure to reapply often. I did get a horrible burn on my back when we were on an excursion that had 3 snorkel stops. I reapplied after each stop but forgot the back after the last stop. That 30 minutes I got completely fried. It sure made the flight home horrible, couldnt lean back in my seat the entire 6 hours of flights.

If you go and speak to any Dermatologist they will tell you that the base tan is nothing but a myth and in many cases a dangerous one. Any tan, burn or whatever is not good for you skin. Please, don't do a base tan.

For sunscreens the higher the SPF(sun protection factor) the greater the protection. But there aresome caveats to remember. They should be applied 30 to 45 minutes prior to sun exposure to allow proper absorbtion and drying on the outer layer of skin. Putting on a shirt directly after applying or toweling can remove the sunscreen. ( I cannot tell you how many times we treat kids faces who get out of the pool and wipe thier eyes thus removing the protection). Next reapply often.. every 2 to 3 hours at a minimum... Here are bullet points I give my patients:

1-suncreen with UVA and UVB coverage

2-best to get one that says it is towel proof (Most sport sunscreens stay on better)

3-apply a good coverage 45 minutes before leaving (and leave exposed to air 15 minutes before putting shirt/cover etc)

4-reappy every 2 to 3 hours (if light skinned apply additional if swimming toweling and sweating)

Don't forget a good pair of sunglasses to protect those eyes

(Also as a side point don't forget the back of the legs while snorkeling)

For sunscreens the higher the SPF(sun protection factor) the greater the protection. But there aresome caveats to remember. They should be applied 30 to 45 minutes prior to sun exposure to allow proper absorbtion and drying on the outer layer of skin. Putting on a shirt directly after applying or toweling can remove the sunscreen. ( I cannot tell you how many times we treat kids faces who get out of the pool and wipe thier eyes thus removing the protection). Next reapply often.. every 2 to 3 hours at a minimum... Here are bullet points I give my patients:

1-suncreen with UVA and UVB coverage

2-best to get one that says it is towel proof (Most sport sunscreens stay on better)

3-apply a good coverage 45 minutes before leaving (and leave exposed to air 15 minutes before putting shirt/cover etc)

4-reappy every 2 to 3 hours (if light skinned apply additional if swimming toweling and sweating)

Good advice, I would also add if your bald like me, make sure you cover the top of the head especially if snorkeling...

I really do appreciate all of the knowledge on the subject of sun and sun screen you have provided me. Thank you so much for your time and tips.:)

Winnie <----> off to store to exchange SPF 30 for 50 SPF Sports weight, towel proof suncreen with UVA and UVB coverage and a wide brim hat. :p

I got my Foster Grants packed already. ;)

The one area I know people forget about is their feet. They go to the beach (or on a cruise) and forget to put sunscreen on their feet. The rest of them is fine because they are constantly reapplying the sunscreen but their feet are burnt to a crisp.

Base tans do NOT prevent sunburn although this is a common notion. Even people with naturally dark complexions can b. to the instructions on the label and always when you come out of the water - be especially careful of nose, ears, tops of feet (especially when wearing sandals which is when people often forget) and other areas that are not often exposed to sun. As an RN, I can attest to seeing both severe burns and malignancies caused by the sun. Please be careful.

You need to use 2 ounces (about a shot glass) to get the protection listed on the label and reapply every two hours, especially after being in water. Even the "waterproof" products are really only water resistant. In general, if you're wondering if you need to reapply, you probably do. Also, the lotion needs time to bind to your skin cells to provide protection. That's why you should apply it at least 20 minutes before sun exposure.

One other packing suggestion: Aloe Vera Jell with Lidocaine - just in case!

I packed some on my last trip and didn't need it (thankfully) but met a girl who got a bad burn and couldn't find anything on the ship to help. I lent her my bottle until we could get into a port where she could buy some for herself.

• 5 weeks later...

Another spot people tend to forget is the part in their hair. In the water you can't really wear a hat to protect your head. There are products made for hair but I use Banana Boat Sport Stick SPF 30, it's like a glue stick, is meant for the face. After I do my face and ears with it I swipe it down the natural part in my hair and reapply often. I have had my scalp burnt and it's NOT FUN!

Also my teen daughter wears a swim tee, also called a Rash Guard. It's the first layer that scuba divers or surfers wear under a wetsuit, it has UV protection and is short sleeved so it covers her milky white neck/shoulders/chest very well. Hers is by Body Glove and was actually cheaper than many other full swim suits. She pairs it with boy's board shorts and has a great looking bathing suit with full coverage and protection from the sun.

I'm very happy to report that I arrived back to the Pacific Northwest......sigh.... without any sunburn thanks to all of you great CC members :D

I was very pleased to find that there were tables under cover for us to enjoy the Pool Deck experience without getting burned. DD did go in the sun for 30 minutes and even with sun screen she got a little pink....that's how hot the sun is! :eek:

The tip we appreciated most was the one about putting sun screen in the part of the hair! Never would have thought of that but it came in handy....DD has thin hair.

Thanks so much to all of you CC Members who answered. I'm sure this thread will help a lot of people.

Winnie

• 2 weeks later...

Aloe vera and vitamin E cream are good for sunburns (the aloe sooths, the vitamins heal). There are also other products you can buy that are made to help soothe and heal sunburns, I think one is called "After Burn" or something.

Yes, please don't forget the tops of your feet! I did that once! :) Nothing compared to the time I got third-degree sunburn on my face and tops of legs (knee to where my shorts began) sitting at a football game, though.... :eek: Now THAT was painful!!!! It hurt to put the aloe and vitamins on 'cause it hurt if anything lightly brushed against it. And that's the only time my skin has ever tanned - after the burn went away I had a tan on my legs (shorts line to knees) for a few years. Otherwise, I either get burned (red) or nothing.

Archived