Independent Tours?

dlstex

We are planning on taking one of the tours recommended on these posts. However, there is only my DW and I and we have been concerned with some of the negative reports of the way some operators have handled tours for small groups. I will have no problem backing out at the last minute if we are to be loaded into anything other than what I have arranged for. My question is: are there independent tour operators at the ports that a tour can be arranged with on the spot? We have done this at many of the ports we have visited in the past with no problems. Thanks

In Puntrenas there were several tour guides at the docks ...just go outside the gate & you will be found. It is probably the same at Port Limon

Thanks. I probably should have been more specific about the ports. We will be stopping at Port Limon.

We stopped in Port Limon a couple of years ago and the tour operator that we had prearranged never showed. There were several people selling the same tour right at the end of the pier. We signed up and took the tour. Worked out fine. We have similarly in several ports just waited to get there and then find a tzxi driver or tour operator and have had good tours.

Just returned. There are numerous taxi drivers outside the port gates that will offer any tour you want. One driver approached us that spoke very good english and had a newer model taxi. He took us on a city tour and to the canals for a boat tour (had our own boat and driver/guide). On the way back he offered to stop for shopping. My spouse wanted to purchase a specific type of local fruit juice to sample and our driver happily took us to 3 stores until he was able to track down what we were looking for.

Would recommend the taxi tour as we were on our own and could decide where to go and how long to stay and did not have to follow along with a large group.

Also, when we arrived in port it was raining. The organized tours had to go rain or shine. We waited on ship until the rain stopped and then went on our tour.

The cost for approx. a 3 hour tour was $45.00 per person, which included the cost of the boat tour.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Coral Princess cruise. We spent our day in Costa Rica with Danilo Hall and can't say enough good things about him. He picked us up pierside (bit of a confusion on our part as we did not expect to be able to meet him inside the dock facilities, so if you book with, look for him at the small stand at the end of the pier, before you get to the pax terminal). We booked with him in advance and arranged for a private tour for just the two of us.

Our custom tour started out with a drive to Cahuita National Park. On the way there, Danilo stopped frequently to show us some of the flora and fauna - he seemed to have a second sense for what we would be interested in and we didn't have to urge him to make these stops. His love of his country was apparent in the knowledge he imparted. One such stop was at the home of a man who has some wild sloths in his garden. This allowed us to get a close view of a three-toed sloth. Another stop was near a banana plantation where he took the time to explain how bananas are grown, going so far as to find a flower that had already been cut and showing us the baby bananas inside.

The scenery on the way to Cahuita is fantastic, with the ocean and beaches on one side and a lush rain forest, mangroves and swamps on the other side. The breeze off the ocean made for a very comfortable experience when outside the air conditioned van. At Cahuita, we made a small donation (there is no official entrance fee) and walked the path in search of wildlife - fascinating to watch the leaf cutter ants at work; saw a sloth hidden in the trees, some howler monkeys, and iguanas. The breeze off the ocean was most welcome and the beach scene added an additional element of pleasure to our visit.

From Cahuita, we headed to the Tortueguero Canal, where we had a small boat all to ourselves for an hour-long boat ride. In addition to Danilo, we had a guide and the boat driver accompany us - they were all eagle-eyed and found a lot to show us. I still have no idea how they saw the small basiliscus lizards that are so well-camouflaged. We saw lots and lots of birdlife, including a northern jacana, herons, and egrets; many iguanas; a couple of two-toed sloths; and a couple of basiliscus lizards - to name just a few of the animals we saw.

We then went to Playa Bonita. We had asked that Danilo take us to a seafood restaurant frequented by the locals and with an ocean view - he delivered. We enjoyed a very nice meal - the fresh red snapper especially was excellent - and watched the locals swimming and sunning on the beach.

Last stop on the way back to the ship was Danilo's secret overlook which gave us an excellent view of the city all the way to the port facilities.

Danilo dropped us off inside the port facilities. From there we went inside the cruise ship terminal to use the internet - $2 card for 100 minutes I think. (We gave the card to a crew member on the ship so the unused minutes were put the good use.) And after browsing the crafts market outside the pax terminal, we walked back to the ship.

It was a fantastic day, very much exceeding our expectations. We can't say enough good things about Danilo - and we would highly recommend him to anyone looking to do a private tour in Puerto Limon. (Website: http://www.geocities.com/adventure_caribbean/index.html)

Just back from a cruise on the Coral. One of our stops included Limon Costa Rica.

We booked a tour with Charley Soto of Okey Dokey tours. Great value and lived up to the positive comments we read on CC before the trip. Charlie's staff was waiting near the end of the dock as promised. We told them at the beginning when we needed to return to the ship so there were no surprises. For $94 each we visited a working banana plantation (Del Monte), ziplined through the rain forest, had a great lunch at a sea side restaurant at Playa Bonito (included in price), a stop at a scenic overlook, a 1 hour boat ride through part of a local canal and a visit to a local market to purchase some Costa Rican coffee and vanilla. Our driver Staten and our guide Ray were fantastic. Charlie called to see if we were enjoying the trip. Its $54 if you do not want to include zip lining. A cooler of bottled water, soda and beer was also available in the air conditioned van.

We would highly recommend this company.

There are also other tour companies at the end of the dock where the buses are parked offering similar packages, but I have no personal experience with them.

To elaborate on Dr Crews comment about tour companies at the dock. We spoke to a couple from Alaska who were on the Coral 12/10 cruise. They booked with one of these companies. $100 for the entire day - private, air conditioned vehicle. They went to Cahuita National Park and Playa Bonita. Guide/driver spent the day with them. They were very happy with the service they received.

• 2 weeks later...

We are a week back from our cruise to Panama Canal & Acapulco, en route we had a call into Port Limon. The advice of the cruise ship was NOT to venture out alone!

What rubbish! We had one of our best days there. I was unwell with a head cold and wanted to go to the rain forest, but could not face a 10-12 hour day. We never book tours with the ship instead opt to go it alone or team up with other passengers. So we went ashore and bumped into an American couple from another ship docked alongside us.

We agreed to share a taxi with them. Our driver was Dennis, he spoke fantastic English and had a new clean taxi.

First he gave us a city tour, he loved his city and had very good knowledge. He knew the name of every tree and flower we passed. He stopped alongside one tree and told my husband to pick one of the flowers, the smell was incredible, he told us he called it Chanel No 5!!:D We went to his friends restaurant for the most amazing views, but did not eat there as we had just had breakfast. Then off to the canal where the 4 of us plus Dennis met up with 2 guides who took us on the ride of our lives. It was just beautiful, the bird life was endless, we saw monkeys, sloths (including a mummy holding baby), a turtle, tiny bats, iguanas, lizards, and 2 crocodiles!! We were given the option to hold a croc if we wanted:eek: . The guides also spoke perfect English and went all out to give us a fantastic trip. Then we stopped off to meet Dennis' 3 month old grandson at his home, followed by a trip to the banana plantation. OMG I will never look at a banana in the same way again. We saw them go from tree to box, the operation was truly amazing. I have never seen anyone work like it before, all so happy and probably on a pittance of a wage. I was very disappointed not to be able to taste them but of course they were green.

But Dennis had that covered, we then stopped at a friends roadside stall where we had a water coconut which we drank and then scooped out the contents, baby bananas (best I have EVER tasted), June plums and papaya. We then headed back to the city where we got out and went shopping and to the local craft market. All this for $35 each!!!

The only thing that I was upset by was the massive amount of rubbish around, and we were told this was due to the refuse collectors being on strike due to their request for protective gloves being turned down!

We loved our day in Limon FANTASTICALLY and thanks to Dennis www.exploringtour.com Dennis Bennett Grant

We are a week back from our cruise to Panama Canal & Acapulco, en route we had a call into Port Limon. The advice of the cruise ship was NOT to venture out alone!

What rubbish! We had one of our best days there. I was unwell with a head cold and wanted to go to the rain forest, but could not face a 10-12 hour day. We never book tours with the ship instead opt to go it alone or team up with other passengers. So we went ashore and bumped into an American couple from another ship docked alongside us.

We agreed to share a taxi with them. Our driver was Dennis, he spoke fantastic English and had a new clean taxi.

First he gave us a city tour, he loved his city and had very good knowledge. He knew the name of every tree and flower we passed. He stopped alongside one tree and told my husband to pick one of the flowers, the smell was incredible, he told us he called it Chanel No 5!!:D We went to his friends restaurant for the most amazing views, but did not eat there as we had just had breakfast. Then off to the canal where the 4 of us plus Dennis met up with 2 guides who took us on the ride of our lives. It was just beautiful, the bird life was endless, we saw monkeys, sloths (including a mummy holding baby), a turtle, tiny bats, iguanas, lizards, and 2 crocodiles!! We were given the option to hold a croc if we wanted:eek: . The guides also spoke perfect English and went all out to give us a fantastic trip. Then we stopped off to meet Dennis' 3 month old grandson at his home, followed by a trip to the banana plantation. OMG I will never look at a banana in the same way again. We saw them go from tree to box, the operation was truly amazing. I have never seen anyone work like it before, all so happy and probably on a pittance of a wage. I was very disappointed not to be able to taste them but of course they were green.

But Dennis had that covered, we then stopped at a friends roadside stall where we had a water coconut which we drank and then scooped out the contents, baby bananas (best I have EVER tasted), June plums and papaya. We then headed back to the city where we got out and went shopping and to the local craft market. All this for $35 each!!!

The only thing that I was upset by was the massive amount of rubbish around, and we were told this was due to the refuse collectors being on strike due to their request for protective gloves being turned down!

We loved our day in Limon FANTASTICALLY and thanks to Dennis www.exploringtour.com Dennis Bennett Grant

Archived