Formal nights

YellowTJ

Well, you have posted hre enough to know that this will probably be a thread with more than 100 replies. I do not think the dress code is "tighter" from ship to ship in the Carnival fleet. The recommended attire encompasses all of them.

Like you, I am not going to wear formal attier this time around. WE are going on the Valor on January 6th. But, I would not think of going into the dining room dressed casual on formal night. We respect the request of the ship to dress appropriately. WE knew the recommendations when we booked. But, I do not want to wear it and lug it around.

We will eat on the Lido which is the appropriate thing for us to do.

We just got off the Triumph and I think you'll be fine. We had no intentions of going to formal nights because we didn't want to pack the clothes. However, after seeing others show up on casual nights in shorts, tanks, and even camisoles, we decided to go and enjoy the evening. My hubby wore pants and a polo and I wore capris and a nice blouse. You'll be fine and do not sweat it--- you will not be the only one dressed down. We even saw a lady in s t-shirt and shorts on formal night. Enjoy your trip!!!!

Yeah I know this could get outa hand I'm just looking for an answer not a debate. Like I said there are a few reasons why I can not. I do remember on RC last year not going but also seeing about 1/2 and 1/2 in formal vs business casual. Not asking right or wrong just asking whats the occurrence is.

I hope the OP is kidding.:rolleyes:

But, just in case he's serious, my observation is that on my recent Conquest cruise I don't remember seeing anyone dressed that casually on formal night. You will see people dressed that way on the lido decks and in all the public areas, because these are people who are planning to eat in the casual venues or who have a different seating and have either not dressed up yet for dinner, or who have had dinner and then changed.

I really don't remember seeing anyone IN the dining room on formal night dressed that casually.

The people who are telling you that "everyone" does it, are the people who refuse to honor the dress code and who are trying to recruit people of similar ill-breeding. :D

i can't believe this. anybody else that replys to this is sick.

sick0021.gif

Honestly, I would say well over 90% of the diners on our recent cruise were "properly" attired.

That being said I don't think OP would likely feel too out of place in khakis and a polo. Just please don't wear tennis shoes, sandals, and/or a baseball cap!:eek: :D

Sometimes we dress up and go to the dining room on formal night and sometimes we dress casually and eat on Lido deck on formal night.

We were pleased on our NCL cruises to find that one dining room is designated "Formal" and another "casual".

They both serve an identical menu and those who want to dress and experience the formal atmosphere are able to and those who don't want to dress up can still experience the more special meal that is usually served on that night. Seems to make everyone happy.

On the Conquest will I be conformable in Khakis and a polo on formal night? There are a few reasons I can't do more none of which really make a difference. Just how many people wear that on formal night.

Yes you will be fine. I was on the Valor a couple weeks ago and I wore exactly that.I will not wear formal anymore as most people DO NOT follow the dress code.They like to interpret it for their own doings. A woman not waering a gown, cocktail dress,or pantsuit is not in compliance. A skirt is not OK, but many seem to think it is.

Just walk in to your table and enjoy your prime rib and lobster.

sick0021.gif

Honestly, I would say well over 90% of the diners on our recent cruise were "properly" attired.

That being said I don't think OP would likely feel too out of place in khakis and a polo. Just please don't wear tennis shoes, sandals, and/or a baseball cap!:eek: :D

Was your last cruise on Carnival? 90%:rolleyes:

You saw no women wearing skirts? They were all in Ball gowns,pantsuits and Cocktail dresses?

Ok Im getting worried now-we are doing 4 days on the Fantasy eight days from now and DH was planning on wearing a tux and I an evening gown--On casual nights I wanted to wear a party or "after 5" time dress each night just for fun and DH in khakis and nice Polo style shirt or Navy pants with button down. Dressing up is fun but now Im worried that we will be more out of place than the ones who dont abide by the Formal dress code.

Just my 2 cents

We just got off the Triumph and there was no one there that even bothered to show you to your table, even on the first night. We had to wander around and look for our number. Honestly. If you get to the dining room on time, there is a free for all with everyone just bustling in trying to get to the tables, I never even saw a maitre'd. I suppose if you want to come in wearing a Mumu and curlers, no one would even notice.

Seriously, on the Triumph people were dressed nicely but not overly formal. A few men had jackets and no ties, some had no jackets and ties. Some had no jacket or tie.

I don't think it is that big a deal.

Ok Im getting worried now-we are doing 4 days on the Fantasy eight days from now and DH was planning on wearing a tux and I an evening gown--On casual nights I wanted to wear a party or "after 5" time dress each night just for fun and DH in khakis and nice Polo style shirt or Navy pants with button down. Dressing up is fun but now Im worried that we will be more out of place than the ones who dont abide by the Formal dress code.

Short cruises are more casual but you need to see for yourself. Put your gown and tux on and get some pictures,then go change after you get a feel for the croud.If you are late seating,then be in the atrium around 6 and see what everyone else is wearing.

Short cruises are more casual but you need to see for yourself. Put your gown and tux on and get some pictures,then go change after you get a feel for the croud.If you are late seating,then be in the atrium around 6 and see what everyone else is wearing.

The problem is that DH wil already have a tux he rented for a holiday party a few days before our trip and wont have a suit with him. and I bought a new dress as well. I took all the advice I read on these CC boards now I just dont know what to do. I dont want to stand out but Formal night should be just that-Formal--no where in any of the Carnival web sites, brochures, capers or etc does it say-if cruise is short it is more casual. Im frustrated now. Dh will kill be if he has on the only tux. It is a Holiday Cruise, I would think it would be a little dressier. Gosh people-eat the buffet if you dont want to abide by a dress code!

The problem is that DH wil already have a tux he rented for a holiday party a few days before our trip and wont have a suit with him. and I bought a new dress as well. I took all the advice I read on these CC boards now I just dont know what to do. I dont want to stand out but Formal night should be just that-Formal--no where in any of the Carnival web sites, brochures, capers or etc does it say-if cruise is short it is more casual. Im frustrated now. Dh will kill be if he has on the only tux. It is a Holiday Cruise, I would think it would be a little dressier. Gosh people-eat the buffet if you dont want to abide by a dress code!

Don't get stressed about what everyone else is wearing...there will be plenty of people who understand what "formal" means and are excited to dress up for the event...even on the short cruises. I do 4-5 day cruises on the oldest and smallest ship in the Carnival fleet and formal night is still formal. Does everyone adhere to the dress code? No...but I don't pay much attention to what everyone else is doing...I dress for myself and my husband. You and your husband will be dressed perfectly fine...have an awesome time!

Archived