Better month for Galcier Bay....?

Texas_firefighter

We are planning to cruise Alaska on Princess, probably Coral, Is there a better month weather wise for viewing in Glacier Bay and Prince William Sound. I mean,where our chances of accomodating weather might be greater? Or,is it hit and miss throughout the entire season?Any help appreciated.

Like you said it can be hit or miss anay month of the season. We are doing a B2B in May. have been to Alaska 2 times in May and in fact I think it is the best month. Sure you might have a drizzle or two but when we went in July one year it rained alot more. You just do not know about the weathere. I just always comee prepared for anything.

marilyn

We've been four times in both May and August. Got great weather all four times, but that is unusual because it usually rains quite a bit in Alaska. All things considered, mid-season (July and August) are best for the following reasons:

1. Less likely to be too much floating ice that could prevent you to going all the way in.

2. If you want to do a glacier walk, the snow on the glaciers likely will have melted so that you can walk around more because you will see where the crevasses are.

The only downsides are that it will be more crowded and more expensive as it is the "high" season in Alaska.

If you go to Glacier Bay in September your ship might get close to Johns Hopkins Glacier which is off limits earlier in the season due to wildlife activity.

I was on a cruise in Glacier Bay in July 2006 and had excellent weather most of the trip.

I am going back to Glacier Bay next July for 2 nights (Gustavus and Bartlett Cove) since I loved the area so much. As was noted, no matter when you go, be prepared for all types of weather.

John

I have never known Glacier Bay not to be fully accessable for glacier viewing, so any time during the cruise season is a good choice, same with College Fjords. Sept. 1 the Hopkins inlet does open due to a Harbor Seal sanctuary, but even without sailing there, Glacier Bay is fantastic.

ANYTIME, you go, you need to be well prepared in your attire, meaning- have layers, knit hat, gloves, rain gear.

My husband and I went on our first cruise (to Alaska) this past September. We were on HAL's Noordam and visited Glacier Bay. The day started out a bit overcast, but it wasn't cold by any means, and apparently we were lucky enough to get closer to Johns Hopkins Glacier than any cruise earlier in the Alaskan cruising season. We have a return trip planned for May just so we can experience a "snowier/icier/colder" time of year. Have a great trip no matter what month you decide to cruise. The link below contains a few pictures from Glacier Bay if you'd like to take a look. :)

Jill

My husband and I went on our first cruise (to Alaska) this past September. We were on HAL's Noordam and visited Glacier Bay. The day started out a bit overcast, but it wasn't cold by any means, and apparently we were lucky enough to get closer to Johns Hopkins Glacier than any cruise earlier in the Alaskan cruising season. We have a return trip planned for May just so we can experience a "snowier/icier/colder" time of year. Have a great trip no matter what month you decide to cruise. The link below contains a few pictures from Glacier Bay if you'd like to take a look. :)

Jill

Your pictures are beautiful !!! Thanks for sharing them. Well we have decided to go in EARLY May :eek: as a B2B with our Hawaii cruise.BRRRRR !!! I can't wait to see what you have shown in your pictures !

Your pictures are beautiful !!! Thanks for sharing them. Well we have decided to go in EARLY May :eek: as a B2B with our Hawaii cruise.BRRRRR !!! I can't wait to see what you have shown in your pictures !

we went in early may, and the weather started out cool and misty in Vancouver, but was downright balmy in Glacier Bay, and HOT in Fairbanks, with temps near 80F!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise to Alaska (and Hawaii for that matter). How on earth will you pack for B2B cruises in such drastically different climates? Good luck, and I hope the weather cooperates for both of us since we'll be in Alaska the second week of May, probably close to the same time you'll be there. :)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise to Alaska (and Hawaii for that matter). How on earth will you pack for B2B cruises in such drastically different climates? Good luck, and I hope the weather cooperates for both of us since we'll be in Alaska the second week of May, probably close to the same time you'll be there. :)

Thanks ! will you be there in '09 as well ? As far as the packing...:confused: Thanks Whale - watcher ,that's encouraging !:D

Sorry - I totally missed that your upcoming cruise is in 2009. I will say, however, that until we get bored with Alaska (which I really don't believe could ever happen), I think that will be our yearly cruise of choice for quite some time. Then we'll work on saving for our #2 dream destination - Australia/New Zealand. :)

. Then we'll work on saving for our #2 dream destination - Australia/New Zealand. :)

As only a note- Australia/New Zealand is a significantly discounted cruise area sometimes. Perhaps get on some discounter web sites for emails.

I picked up a 14 day sailing and went a month ago, with air from NYC for about $2100. :) Touring was cheap and excellent with a couple rental cars and walking tours.

Budget Queen - thank you so much for the heads up. Maybe we'll be able to bump that dream cruise up to next year sometime. I'm not even sure what the so-called "shoulder" months for cruising to that area might be, so I'll have to do a little research in that regard.

Archived