Car Seats on a Carnival Cruise

NikSmiles

So I have tried to see if someone has asked this question before me and I have not been able to find the answer I am looking for.

We are going on Carnival Liberty in Apr 2008 we are taking our two childern who will be 4 and 11 months when we cruise. Which means on the plane/and in the car in FL they will both need carseats.

So my question is what do I do with the carseats once we are on the ship? Is there room to store them in out cabin??!!:confused: My son will likely be in a booster by then but I am unsure of what size my daughter will be...she may still be in her infant seat or she may be in a convertable seat...

We just got back with our 5 month old and we kept in on the floor since the closet was loaded from our over backing. We used it in the dining room every night since our daughter can't really sit up well in a high chair yet.

I'll be able to answer this question in a week or so!

But I thought I would mention about the booster seat.. You cannot use a booster seat on an airplane. I've been debating which seat to bring for my infant and while hunting online that is the one thing that kept coming up - boosters are not allowed to be used on a plane. Depending on weight your 4 year old might be big enough to safely use the lap belts though. If you check your airline's website it should give you the weight requirements.

I wouldn't even try to put a 4 year old in a car seat on a plane. There just isn't enough room. His feet and legs will be up against the seat in front of him - very annoying to the person seated in the seat in front.

Just check his regular car seat for use in the car in FL.

You can't use a booster on the airplane, that is so crazy:eek: thanks for the tip I had no idea. He is about 36 pounds now I can't imagine he will gain much more weight in the next four months, we are flying Frontier to FL I will check about going w/o a carseat.

Thanks for the advice about the carseats on the boat, it is good to know there will be room in the closet. How about strollers on the boat? My 4 year old I think will be fine...but my little one will be just under 1 year...I am sure if she can walk by then it won't be for very long....

I looked it up and he does not have to have a car seat on the plane, now that I think about it, he has flown without a car seat a few times with his grandparents. So I guess we will just check his booster, or maybe just pack it in one of our suitcases to save a piece of checked luggage....

But if any one has any strollers tips.....I have a double umbrella type stroller but I think it may two wide for the ship? But I am not sure how we are going to make it thru the airport with two kids with out some sort of stroller...Its our first trip with two kids and I am a little stressed...:( :confused: I am sure I am overthinking it...but any advice would be greatly appreciated!:D

You can't use a booster on the airplane, that is so crazy:eek: thanks for the tip I had no idea. He is about 36 pounds now I can't imagine he will gain much more weight in the next four months, we are flying Frontier to FL I will check about going w/o a carseat.

You may want to look at getting an actual car seat for him anyway. Most booster seats aren't good for kids until they're 40 lbs. And there are a lot of 5-point harness car seats that can hold a child up to 50-65 lbs. now. Just a thought, I used to be a car seat technician...

But if any one has any strollers tips.....I have a double umbrella type stroller but I think it may two wide for the ship? But I am not sure how we are going to make it thru the airport with two kids with out some sort of stroller...Its our first trip with two kids and I am a little stressed...:( :confused: I am sure I am overthinking it...but any advice would be greatly appreciated!:D

On board, the stroller shouldn't be any wider than a wheelchair. I've seen people use the side-by-side umbrella strollers, but you might want to consider bringing two singles instead for the most flexibility, or borrow a front/back or sit n' stand. But I would absolutely have a stroller for both kids - the long walks can be too much for an adult, let alone a cranky child!

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Thank you for the advice! I figured my stroller would be too wide! We will probably just bring two singles we have all our family going so we will have lots of stroller pushers!:) I think we will bring our snugli backback too to carry the little one. Give me some extra exercise buen off all the yummy food!:p

Thanks again

Nik

Pricey but totally worth it in my opinion- we have the SafeGuard Go seat. It's perfect for travel because it folds into a bag that I can either check or carry on (you CAN'T use it on the plane). I can install it in any car LATCH or otherwise in under 30 seconds, as long as it has a top anchor tether. We take it everywhere when we travel- after being left high and dry by two rental car companies who promised us rental seats and then didn't have them.

I NEVER NEVER put my 4 year old in a car seat on the plane anymore. He's 45 inches tall and in his seat, all he can do is kick the person in front of him. I learned that just after he turned 2. It wasn't his fault, that's just where his feet landed. I put him in the lap belt and make sure he stays in it.

Our car seat (infant carrier) ended up fitting fine under the bed with the rest of our luggage (3 large suitcases, one small).

We used our full sized stroller since it went with our car seat (travel system). It worked out fine but the back wheels did not fit through the cabin door - so we would have to fold the stroller down to get it in and out of the room.

Archived