Just what to wear..........?

fenreed

OOOH Malcolm, when you go further into the site you find that they are SWINGERS!!!!!!!

Sharon,

I tried swinging when I was younger. The first time I had a go I got too high and fell off and hurt my head. The second time, I stayed on too long and got sick.

After that I just stuck to the roundabout thingy and the see-saw. My mum said I wasn't to go on the swings again or she'd slap me.

Jimmy

Sharon,

I tried swinging when I was younger. The first time I had a go I got too high and fell off and hurt my head. The second time, I stayed on too long and got sick.

After that I just stuck to the roundabout thingy and the see-saw. My mum said I wasn't to go on the swings again or she'd slap me.

Jimmy

LOL, I know Jimmy, that can happen!:D

Sharon

Oh dear,

If it's been deleted, some people are going to be angry with us for noticing it and bringing attention to it! I sure hope Sharon keeps mums the word....

And you, have you started packing yet?

Angela, of course I shall keep mum;)

I haven't starting packing yet, but after a day of Christmas & holiday shopping with my sister today (who is off to eygpt 27/12/07!),I think that we are 'packing in our minds', as only a woman would understand.

BTW, mine is about to to self destruct!

Does that answer your question?:eek:

Sharon

Angela, of course I shall keep mum;)

I haven't starting packing yet, but after a day of Christmas & holiday shopping with my sister today (who is off to eygpt 27/12/07!),I think that we are 'packing in our minds', as only a woman would understand.

BTW, mine is about to to self destruct!

Does that answer your question?:eek:

Sharon

This is what I do to sooth the "packing in your mind" pain. Make a list! Either a real spreadsheet or invent one in your head and on a piece of paper. Put down all your potential items of clothing in their proper categories. Then write down each day, what's the dress code, and what you think you'd like to wear in the evening. For during the day, a list of items that you can choose from at your leisure. Use pencil, not a pen. ;)

I did this and freed up all sorts of mental capacity to devote to other things. Before that, I was nearly combustible. :p

This is what I do to sooth the "packing in your mind" pain. Make a list! Either a real spreadsheet or invent one in your head and on a piece of paper. Put down all your potential items of clothing in their proper categories. Then write down each day, what's the dress code, and what you think you'd like to wear in the evening. For during the day, a list of items that you can choose from at your leisure. Use pencil, not a pen. ;)

I did this and freed up all sorts of mental capacity to devote to other things. Before that, I was nearly combustible. :p

Thanks Angela, I shall take your advice. I always make list, but not as organized in the categories as you do. This sounds a great idea & may unscramble my addled brain:D

Sharon

Was this the one (from some time ago) where folks were bitching about people making kissy-face in the nightclub after midnight and the kids might see them> (What in HELL are kids doing in the nightclub after midnight?) There was also something about people getting pretty "cozy" when they had some club or another as a private function, which means if someone walked in, then they were "trespassing" on the private function.

I think the thread was something to do with Do you know what groups may be booked on your cruise?

I have friend who are nudists. they have done nude cruises.

I'd like to have the sunblock concession on this one!

What does one wear on formal night?

JUST the bow tie (manually-tied, of course!)

BTW, speaking of Bow ties. And learning how to tie them.

Here is a little instruction video. There are links to several more, though I didn't watch any of them:

Other than Paul, now none of you gents has an excuse for wearing a nice easy pull the strap around the collar and clip it under the bow type. Nope! You have to struggle frustrated with it for hours! Then you finally miss dinner because you don't like the way it looks, or one end looks bigger than the other or it doesn't lay flat!

Now I understand why Matthew is so fired up about single seating dining. It's the extra time for tying that infernal bow tie! <LOL>

KP

What a good idea. Steve can't tie his, so I do it for him!

Don't tell Matthew, but I take the instruction with me!;)

Last time , I decided to have gel nails put on (first & last time) 4 days before we went. Not only could I not do up my own buttons or put on my own jewellery, but we nearly did miss dinner because it took about 20 mins to tie the bloody bow tie!!!:eek: :D :eek:

Sharon

What a good idea with the clothing list. I am happy that for this cruise I can take 2 suitcases as I am flying with BA direct from Manchester!

I will have 2 days in NY from the 27th - 29th February. Wondering how many warm items of clothing I will need. Also the first and last days on the Ship when we will be sailing in cold weather. Any advice?? Do I need 13 pairs of shoes??

Sue

I always make list, but not as organized in the categories as you do.

Sharon, I always make a list as well and I categorise the items. Here's the last one I did:

IT/Communication Equipment

Laptop

External hard drive

2 x packs writeable DVD's

Marine band scanner

Charger unit for above

Cameras/Optical Equipment

Both SLR cameras

Back-up compact camera

Spare battery for each camera

Battery chargers for each camera

28-300mm zoom lens

18-35mm zoom lens

105mm macro lens

Flash

Tripod

Monopod

6 x 2Gb memory cards

Binoculars

Other Stuff

underpants, socks, clothes

Hope this helps,

Jimmy

Angela--been doing the same for years and it really does work well. Great minds . . . . . .

Bettie

Sharon, I always make a list as well and I categorise the items. Here's the last one I did:

IT/Communication Equipment

Laptop

External hard drive

2 x packs writeable DVD's

Marine band scanner

Charger unit for above

Cameras/Optical Equipment

Both SLR cameras

Back-up compact camera

Spare battery for each camera

Battery chargers for each camera

28-300mm zoom lens

18-35mm zoom lens

105mm macro lens

Flash

Tripod

Monopod

6 x 2Gb memory cards

Binoculars

Other Stuff

underpants, socks, clothes

Hope this helps,

Jimmy

Why does this not surprise me! :) Thank goodness you have Maureen!

Bettie

Angela--been doing the same for years and it really does work well. Great minds . . . . . .

Bettie

Indeed. :) I may have to get a larger sheet of paper, though, if I acquire more dresses....think that will happen? :rolleyes:

....... to remove all this superfluous rubbish and replace it with shoes. Hers:).

Mary

Oh snap!

I used to lug huge quantities of camera equipment around--now my camera can hide under a credit card--priorities have changed, it seems. ;)

Hey, packing fanatics, I've created a clothes planning/packing spreadsheet (Word table actually) specificaly for the QV Christmas Cruise. You could of course easily modify it for other trips. Anyone want one? Email me at

fenreed at hotmail dot com

Pete

Golly,

I hope I've not booked something I will regret! I fully understand the need for a dress code and enjoy dressing up - in the evening but inspite of cruising with Regent and the old Swan Hellenic among others have never come across no shorts in the dining room at breakfast. Maybe I can understand on a crossing but we are going on a Caribbean cruise. My shorts come almost to the knee and DH similar. We would never wear anything embarresing [sp]. Neither do I like the 'if you have to think about the dress code you shouldn't come' type of comment. My word this could be a first and last!

Any further information would be welcome.

Teresa

Golly,

I hope I've not booked something I will regret! I fully understand the need for a dress code and enjoy dressing up - in the evening but inspite of cruising with Regent and the old Swan Hellenic among others have never come across no shorts in the dining room at breakfast. Maybe I can understand on a crossing but we are going on a Caribbean cruise. My shorts come almost to the knee and DH similar. We would never wear anything embarresing [sp]. Neither do I like the 'if you have to think about the dress code you shouldn't come' type of comment. My word this could be a first and last!

Any further information would be welcome.

Teresa

On QE2 recently we asked the Maitre d' if shorts were ok in the Britannia Grill dining room for breakfast when, like you, we were on a hot weather cruise. He had no objections, and many others were also wearing them. We've found the day-time dress code on both QM2 and QE2 considerably more informal than we were anticipating.

Mary

Neither do I like the 'if you have to think about the dress code you shouldn't come' type of comment.

Teresa - I don't think anyone has made that comment. I said:

I feel that if you don't want to have to consider dress codes then you're on the wrong line!:)

And then further went on to clarify it by saying:

Cunard is not the line to travel with if you don't want to have to consider the dress code.

But those are the closest I can see that anyone's come to "if you have to think about the dress code you shouldn't come":) I am saying that Cunard is a line where you should consider the dress code.

Golly,

I hope I've not booked something I will regret!

Teresa,

before my first cruise on QE2, I spent ages on this board (and others) researching all I could find about the dress code as well as several other matters that were worrying me. Long before I got anywhere near the ship I was in a state approaching nervous exhaustion having read all the debates about pre-tied versus hand-tied bow ties, shorts at breakfast, cummerbunds versus waistcoats and all the rest of it.

Before I had spent 48 hours on the ship I couldn't for the life of me imagine why I had ever worried in the first place. Just go with the flow, you'll find there is absolutely no problem whatsoever. And I'm willing to bet that you'll have a fantastic time and will be planning your next cruise long before the one your on has finished.

Jimmy

Teresa,

before my first cruise on QE2, I spent ages on this board (and others) researching all I could find about the dress code as well as several other matters that were worrying me. Long before I got anywhere near the ship I was in a state approaching nervous exhaustion having read all the debates about pre-tied versus hand-tied bow ties, shorts at breakfast, cummerbunds versus waistcoats and all the rest of it.

Before I had spent 48 hours on the ship I couldn't for the life of me imagine why I had ever worried in the first place. Just go with the flow, you'll find there is absolutely no problem whatsoever. And I'm willing to bet that you'll have a fantastic time and will be planning your next cruise long before the one your on has finished.

Jimmy

Absolutely Jimmy. Before we went for the first time, there was a thread on here about what to wear to board the ship. It gave the impression that a jacket and tie for the chaps was de rigeur, and the ladies would all be in summer dresses.

When we arrived in the car park I had a look around, out of interest. Just about everyone about to embark was wearing shorts/jeans/chinos/t-shirts - normal everyday casual wear as seen in the supermarket. Some of what appears on the boards about daywear is just wishful thinking. Evenings are formal, and just about everyone looks fabulous.

One chap spent all day every day in collared shirt, tie and jacket. He stuck out like a sore thumb.

Mary

Archived