Pearl Harbor - paid tour necessary to go?

LegalCat

Is it necessary to book an actual tour to go to see pearl harbor? We would like to go on friday morning. We are willing to go early early. We are staying at the Wyland Waikiki... shore trips charges 254 which includes transportation etc... but it says the driver will drop you off and tell you where to get tickets... it sounds like they just take you and your on your own and then when you are done they bring you back... we just want to go and walk around and see whats there

We just got back from our cruise to Hawaii. We rented a car the day we were there and did Pearl Harbor on our own. You do not have to pay anything to do it unless you want to do the audio tour. For $5 you get a headset and you can stop it and start it yourself whenever you want and it will tell you where to go next and explain everything you are looking at. You will see a movie and then they will take you by boat out to the Arizona. You do have to stand in line to get tickets but they are free. And they will tell you what time they will be announcing for your tour. We had to wait like 2 1/2 hrs so we walked over to the Mighty Mo (Missouri battleship) and paid to do a tour on it while we were waiting for our time. If you do that just make sure you get back before they call for your tour. Hope this helps.

Rita

• Administrators
Is it necessary to book an actual tour to go to see pearl harbor? We would like to go on friday morning. We are willing to go early early. We are staying at the Wyland Waikiki... shore trips charges 254 which includes transportation etc... but it says the driver will drop you off and tell you where to get tickets... it sounds like they just take you and your on your own and then when you are done they bring you back... we just want to go and walk around and see whats there

Admission to Pearl Harbor is free; everyone stands in line for tickets to the Arizona Memorial except actual survivors of Pearl Harbor. For more information, you can check out their website at http://www.nps.gov/usar.

So i just shot an email to my hotel asking them what they would recommend for transportation. I dont think we will rent a car but I will look into it.

It definately seems like it would be a huge waste to pay $254 to shore trips to take us there just to drop us off...

It definately seems like it would be a huge waste to pay $254 to shore trips to take us there just to drop us off...

That's an understatement. You're basically paying $254 for a $15 cab ride. The previous posters are right. Everyone (tour groups and individuals alike except PH survivors of course) all stand in the same line to get tickets for the launches that take you to the memorial. The entire complex (visitors center, movie, memorial) are all free admission.

RUN away from that tour company.

Thanks everyone!!! Well I feel a lot better. We will definately just do a taxi if we decide to go. We arent sure if we are going to go yet because we are getting married that day and my husband kind of wants to go but he thinks we maybe should just lounge and relax and maybe do a driven tour of the island or something instead so we are nice and relaxed for our wedding in the afternoon... everything is still up in the air.... not sure what we are doing yet.. only a couple of days into planning

Thanks everyone!!! Well I feel a lot better. We will definately just do a taxi if we decide to go. We arent sure if we are going to go yet because we are getting married that day and my husband kind of wants to go but he thinks we maybe should just lounge and relax and maybe do a driven tour of the island or something instead so we are nice and relaxed for our wedding in the afternoon... everything is still up in the air.... not sure what we are doing yet.. only a couple of days into planning

Congrats! Where are you getting married at?

Ugh!!!!!!!!! Thats the million dollar question. LOL... we just got engaged on Saturday and sicne then Ive planned the airfare, the cruise, the gift registry, the pre cruise hotel... every time I pick a wedding ceremony company, some one says, oh i used this one and its fantastic, lol... its just the two of us so we are just doing a beach wedding, we have it narrowed down to May 30 but cant decide to do it in the morning or evening, what else to do that day, and what company to use, i think im going back to the first company I looked at lol

That's an understatement. You're basically paying $254 for a $15 cab ride. The previous posters are right. Everyone (tour groups and individuals alike except PH survivors of course) all stand in the same line to get tickets for the launches that take you to the memorial. The entire complex (visitors center, movie, memorial) are all free admission.

RUN away from that tour company.

Just a minor correction. A taxi from the Waikiki hotels to PH is about $30 (could be a bit more due to fuel costs) one-way, not $15. If you have a full day or multiple days, then a rental car is the best bet (IMO). Otherwise, a taxi is your best bet.

I'm boggled that a tour company would charge $254 just to take you to PH and drop you off. If it was a full-day excursion that included an island tour and admission to some of the other PH options and lunch and, well, you get the idea, then it would be one thing. But to just take you to PH, ridiculous!

beachchick

Just for interests sake, this is the description of the tour that is $254 (for 2).

Travel to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial, where you will spend the morning or afternoon reliving the important historic moments that took place at this fascinating site. Your driver will drop you off at the Arizona Memorial Visitors Center, and give you all the information you need on where to get tickets for tour. He will also let you know the location of the souvenir shop and museum, as well as a set pickup point and time for when you have completed your time at the Memorial.

You will wait at the Visitors Center until it is your turn to tour. When your turn is called, you will view a moving film depicting the events of the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack. Then you will board a Navy launch for the short ride to board the Memorial itself. Spend some time exploring this somber site, the resting place of 1,102 of the nearly 1,200 sailors killed on the USS Arizona during the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. Dedicated in 1962, the Memorial consists of three main parts, and spans the sunken hull of the battleship.

Due to the high interest of Pearl Harbor (Arizona), wait-time from the time you arrive to the actual tour itself is now about 1 ¾ hours to 2 ¼ hours. This is based on number of visitors. Please be aware that the later your departure time from the cruise ship pier, the longer you will have to wait (you also run the risk that tours could be closed for the day). If Arizona Memorial sells out, the cost will still be the same since rate is based on the duration of tour and Arizona Memorial is a free venue.

Special Instructions

Transportation, your chauffeur, tax, tip, and soft drinks are included in your tour. The duration of your tour may vary. It depends on how long it takes you to get through the Arizona Memorial tour.

Please note that bags, purses and large cameras of any kind are prohibited inside the base. You are welcome to leave your belongings inside the limousine, where your driver will watch over them. Or there are also lockers available.

Just for interests sake, this is the description of the tour that is $254 (for 2).

I'm in the wrong business.

This ...

and give you all the information you need on where to get tickets for tour. He will also let you know the location of the souvenir shop and museum,

really cracks me up. You can't miss the museum and shop.

Well, I guess they had to say something to fill up the description, lol

Well I'm glad the idea of just taking a taxi will work. It looks more and more like we are going to get married friday at 1, so probably will go to the DOH on Thursday late afternoon depending on where it is in relation to our hotel or first thing friday morning, then the limo will pick us up at 12:30 for the wedding, then at 3:30-4 we might do a luau... then on Saturday morning we are either going to do pearl harbor or a tour of the island which is 5 hours but leaves at 7 am... I figure we would get to the ship around 1ish....

Archived