CAN APLMAC or another local help with a question please

islandgrandma

Hi there- will be in Barbados Jan.8. Our first visit there. We do plan to rent a car and drive because we have lived in Antigua for 33 years and are accustomed to yielding to goats, cattle and people. We are also accustomed to pot holes that are very deep. I have dreamed for all these years that someday I would see Barbados and now we can. We have only from 7am-5pm. I see wonderful beaches all the time here , shopping is not my thing so I am mainly interested in historical sites and looks like a great walk through Welchman Hall Gully. I would like to go to Sudsbury house and St Nicholas Abbey. I figured to be at Welchman Hall at 9am when it opens (before it gets too hot) and then drive to St Nicholas Abbey. Then we will drive down the East coast to Sudsbury house. With a return to Bridgetown by 4pm so we have a little look at the city before back on board our cruise. Am I being too optimistic? Is that the right way to do these 3 places? ABOUT How long will the drive be from Bridgetown to Welchman Hall and then how long to get across to St Nicholas Abbey? Then how long from there down to Sudsbury? I think I saw on one other post that it is about 25 min. from Sudsbury to Bridgetown. But at 3:300 pm will we have heavy traffic headed back that way? Sorry for the profusion of troublesome questions but you seem so helpful I thought I'd ask. :-) I am open to alternative suggestions- you know your island . Many thanks, Barb

We have only from 7am-5pm.

I am mainly interested in historical sites and looks like a great walk through Welchman Hall Gully. I would like to go to SuNbury house and St Nicholas Abbey. I figured to be at Welchman Hall at 9am when it opens (before it gets too hot) ===> Good idea!

and then drive to St Nicholas Abbey.

Then we will drive down the East coast to SuNbury house.

With a return to Bridgetown by 4pm so we have a little look at the city before back on board our cruise.

Am I being too optimistic? ===> No, I don't think so

Is that the right way to do these 3 places? ===> Pretty much

ABOUT How long will the drive be from Bridgetown to Welchman Hall ===> half an hour?

and then how long to get across to St Nicholas Abbey? ===> 1/2 hr. of twisty turny

Then how long from there down to Sunbury? ===> Allow for an hour: you might get lost a bit

I think I saw on one other post that it is about 25 min. from Sunbury to Bridgetown. ===> make that 35. I'm not driving, you are

But at 3:30 pm will we have heavy traffic headed back that way? ===> no, you're cool.

Sorry for the profusion of troublesome questions but you seem so helpful I thought I'd ask. :-) I am open to alternative suggestions- you know your island ===> bin here awhile..

Your well-planned day can only be marred by getting lost..

..roads are circuitous here, but getting lost(for 10 mins.) can be fun mostly.

Carry a map, don't be afraid to stop and 'axe for direckshunz'

and you should be okay for the day.

Bridgetown traffic can be time-consuming

and I might leave out the Bridgetown Shopping For The Last bit

but it depends on how your time is running:

you can shop right there in the Port..they have a fair bit of stuff to offer

plus you can shop a lil bit at Nicholas Abbey gift shop,too

(not sure about Sunbury...don't think there's any retail there)

You are a gem! Many thanks for the insight. All this helps me feel like I am not totally in the dark. I know folks are surprised here when we tell them to get from one side to the other on our 10x12 mile island can take 45min. or more , but then they have no idea of the road challenges. Distance does not translate the same from place to place. :-)

Have a great Day! Barb

Archived