solo over Christmas

anaslile

Anybody with experience going solo over the holidays? I will be flying down to New Orleans for a 5 day on the Fantasy. Have a terrific roll call with 3 meet and greets already planned and was upgraded from a 1a gty to a 4B front of the ship, everything ready and everything booked.

However, I just can't help but wonder if I'll stick out like a sore thumb, with all the families on the ship. Do you find people are more receptive to a solo since it's the holidays or are they apt just to keep to themselves.

Let me add that I have no problem with doing things solo, it's just...the holidays. i want to have all kinds of fun without thinking people are feeling "sorry" for me.

PS: I don't think anybody in my roll call thinks this way, so hopefully nobody else does.

Hope this all makes sense.

No one will feel sorry for you, so don't worry about that. Personally, I don't think Christmas cruises are particularly solo friendly because those cruises are generally loaded with kids, but with people in the holiday spirit, it should be just fine. Go with an open mind and don't worry about anything. It's Christmas, and no matter what, you're on a cruise !!!!

I've been wondering that myself. I have a cruise booked next December over both Christmas and New Year's. I love traveling solo, but I wonder if the cruise will be so family oriented that I will end up being a little uncomfortable.

I tried starting a roll call, but no one responded to it. I haven't given up hope on that. The cruise is over a year from now.

I would love to hear other people's experiences going solo over the holidays.

On my last cruise I was at a table with about 8 other solos and three were continuing on to the next leg, which would be over the Christmas holiday, so I know that quite a few people must do it. This was the Crystal Symphony, which turned out to be very solo-friendly and had no kids. I don't know if the holiday would bring out a different demographic, but at least on that ship it was apparently not uncommon for solos to be on a holiday cruise. (I don't have any personal experience myself, unfortunately.) I understand your concern, but I suspect it won't be a problem. Enjoy your special holiday cruise!

Anybody with experience going solo over the holidays? I will be flying down to New Orleans for a 5 day on the Fantasy. Have a terrific roll call with 3 meet and greets already planned and was upgraded from a 1a gty to a 4B front of the ship, everything ready and everything booked.

However, I just can't help but wonder if I'll stick out like a sore thumb, with all the families on the ship. Do you find people are more receptive to a solo since it's the holidays or are they apt just to keep to themselves.

Let me add that I have no problem with doing things solo, it's just...the holidays. i want to have all kinds of fun without thinking people are feeling "sorry" for me.

PS: I don't think anybody in my roll call thinks this way, so hopefully nobody else does.

HELLO,,

I have been there done that & getting ready to

do it again.....

So far I have never meet anyone that feels sorry

for me.......

People will ask,'are you traveling with family.........

I say,I am a solo cruiser,,They may say,you are

a brave person.........

In the dining room most of the time you will be sitting with a family,,,,,,

One time I was sitting with three couples & their

teenage girls.........Ask to be moved..

One time I was sitting with a Mother and her grown

children........I think I went two nights.....

One time I met two ladies,,,,,And I ask to be moved to their table,,,,........

I have been told that most single solo cruisers eat

the late seating,& the families eat early.........

I like eating early........So if I really don't care for

my table mates I just skip the Dining room.......

There has been afew times the table was all solo

cruisers........

I do'nt know if I have helped you any at all.......

A cruise is the best vacation................

I enjoy cruising at Christmas........

This is my gift to me from me...........

Have a great cruise..........

I cruised on the Dawn Princess last year for 11 nights over Christmas and New Years. I had a good time. My only real complaint was that most of the entertainment and movies were geared to families.

I lucked out with a good table at late seating. People were friendly and there were 2 meet and greets at the beginning of the cruise for us solos.

I would cruise again over the holidays. Like Barbara, if I'm not crazy about my tablemates, I just give up on the dining room. I pretty much just go with the flow. I bring plenty of reading and 'work projects' with me but usually find I spend most of my time chatting with others/people watching and enjoying the sea.

I suggest you give cruising a try over the holidays.

Faith

Have a great time.

As your will be traveling with Carnival, they are great at putting solos together at a large table. They put me at a table with all singles and/or non marrieds travling togeather like moms and daughters/fathers and sons. I really appreciate the way Carnival matches up dinner mates.

Again have a great Christmas cruise.:D Wish I was with you but can't affored the rates at that time of year:(

flag fan, there's a huge difference between cruising Crystal during the holidays and a mass market. Crystal doesn't cater to families, they are much smaller ships, and they are known to be very solo friendly. I have 16 solo cruises on Crystal, and no matter the time of year, solos are a huge part of their demographic. But I still maintain, at least for me, that cruising on a huge mass market ship during Christmas would have somewhat a depressing factor for me. Seeing all the married couples and families really would be a downer for me, personally. It obviously doesn't bother some solos, but for me, I find it could be a little depressing being all alone on a holiday.

:D

I just came back from an 11-day southern, port intensive (9 ports) cruise and loved it. I NEVER felt as if I were a solo as I met many interesting people who I enjoyed talking to you. I never went with the intent of someone feeling sorry for me by no means. I really don't care what other people think. It was a very relaxing time for me as I could come and go as I pleased. I, too, did not like the choice they gave me for dining companions so, therefore, I did not go to the dining room at all, ate all my meals in the Windjammer. I never had to worry about getting "gussied up" to eat as I can do that any time at home.

I took my excursions, except for one, by private taxis with other couples I met who shared the expense and we had an excellent time. If you are open to people, they DO respond to you. If they don't, it's their loss.

Go and have a wonderful cruise as I did. I returned on Friday and left with friendships that I will keep forever.

These postings have been very helpful! I'm looking forward to my Christmas/New Years cruise next December. I don't think that I will be too bothered by all of the family activities. It might be fun.

In 2 weeks I'm off to Hawaii on NCL with their freestyle dining. I think I'm more nervous about that (even with the great roll call I've been involved with) then traveling solo over the holidays.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all-

Sorry for my late posting. So, solo over Christmas wasn't bad. I was seated at a table with 2 honeymooning couples (both awesome) and one other solo, a man native of NoLa.

I can't really comment on the number of singles on the ship, as I was too exhausted to attend the singles meet up.

A lot of families and such, most people were more just interested in why I was all alone, a lot of comments on my bravery, and wondering why I had come all the way from NH just to cruise. I personally didn't end up hanging out or meeting anybody really, but that could be due to the fact that I'm a bit introverted and frequently had a book or some knitting with me.

Since it was a holiday cruise there were a ton of kiddos around, so if you're not one to deal with the kiddos you may want to avoid holiday cruising. I work in an elementary school, so I barely noticed them.

I did experience people who thought that they could move my stuff or "push" me around as I was just a single person. But these incidents were isolated (only happened once or twice on the whole cruise).

All in all, it was terrific not to have to deal with the hustle and bustle of having family around and making everybody happy. I think I definitely prefer being on vacation for the holidays than hanging around at home. I'd cruise every Christmas if I thought I could afford it! While it wasn't perfect due to a few issues, it was terrific.

Now, if I could find a way to go someplace exotic and bring the dog it would be even better!

A lot of families and such, most people were more just interested in why I was all alone, a lot of comments on my bravery, and wondering why I had come all the way from NH just to cruise.

They obviously have never been to NH in the winter! My dad's cousin lives in NH and was down to my house in VA over Xmas and she was happy just to see a few flowers :) I'm sure she would have LOVED to go on a cruise!

I personally didn't end up hanging out or meeting anybody really, but that could be due to the fact that I'm a bit introverted and frequently had a book or some knitting with me.

I'm the same way. And even with that, I still manage to have a great time! It's great to make "friends 4-ever" when on vacation, but I would never go there expecting it. I know lots of people say that's what happens, but there are plenty of us where it doesn't, and that doesn't mean we don't enjoy the cruise!

I'm glad you had a good time and boy do I wish I had gone on a cruise over the holidays. I love my family...really...but...um....I was really wishing I could get away by the time New Years came around! :)

They obviously have never been to NH in the winter!

I'm the same way. And even with that, I still manage to have a great time! It's great to make "friends 4-ever" when on vacation, but I would never go there expecting it. I know lots of people say that's what happens, but there are plenty of us where it doesn't, and that doesn't mean we don't enjoy the cruise!

I'm glad you had a good time and boy do I wish I had gone on a cruise over the holidays. I love my family...really...but...um....I was really wishing I could get away by the time New Years came around! :)

Obviously they haven't at all! I think I nearly gave a few people heart attacks when I explained that I was delighted just not to be around 4 feet of snow and temps over 32 F!

So true about those of us who don't make friends for life on cruise ships. I talked to and met a lot of nice people, but I'm just not that social butterfly. Which in a way I think is good! Regardless, it was a great time.

Question for you Dianna--I would love to try out RCL sometime from a comparison standpoint, but the price of solo fares (or lack there of ;)) drives me away as I'm definitely a CCL 1A traveler. What's your solo experiences on RCCL? Worth the money? How is the onboard activities on sea days?

What's your solo experiences on RCCL? Worth the money? How is the onboard activities on sea days?

I'm probably not the one to comment since I've only been on RCCL and I don't have anything to compare it with. :) However, I will say I LOVED the big ship, Liberty of the Seas! Majesty was okay, but too small IMO. LOS had a ton of things to do. It was $$ though, but mostly because I had to get a balcony. If I was going to be on a cruise for a week, I wanted to spend some of that time out on my private balcony.

I think it was worth every penny. But then, I don't want to use too much vacation time during the year, so I only have so much time, and I do put about 2000 to 2500 aside for a vacation. Though in the case of the 9 day coming up, it's actually 2500 just for the cruise, and that doesn't cover excursions, parking or pet-sitter (though thankfully I won't have airfare!). But I still think it's worth it--I don't have to worry about a roommate, and I get my own private balcony...AND I can drive to this port!!

I've made different priorities in life. Some people may spend 2500 on furniture, whereas I live with what I have. I also don't spend money on clothes, so I have a bit more to spend on vacation.

However, if I didn't have the funds, I might go for the more inexpensive cruises or non-balcony rooms.

Archived