Port Libery is the Pits

NJGRANNY

Port Liberty is in a state of being modified. I would expect, although I haven't had these problems, that drop off and pick up places are moved around from time to time.

Currently RCCL is planning to dredge the area near the terminal so that ships can pull through and dock righ at the terminal. This has been planned for over a year so far but when government get involved it moves slower.

Some of the original plans, I saw an artist conception of the final product, there will be stores, shopping, hotel (I think), parks, etc. If it ever gets done it will be a great pier

As I recall reading RCCL has a 30 plus year contract to use the pier. Money to fix it up will be supplied by RCCL, State of NJ, and Bayonne city

When we sailed out of Bayonne in 05, we were told they obtained (I don't recall if they bought or leased) the port and were going to rehab the whole port over the next 5-7 years...also heard or read that there would be shopping and such...I personally had no problem in and out but we drive...and the last time we just waited to be the last off so when we got off there was our luggage all by itself and porters waiting for us...but I could see major potential for problems from the layout...especially the one way around the old warehouses if no one is moving at all........

When we came back today, they had changed the baggage drop off from when we embarked. They weren't allowing cars to stick to the right and drop off the luggage there. You had to go into the road where you get into the long-term parking, but stick to the right. They had the luggage things there.

If they had any place to stop and pick up passengers and luggage, we sure didn't see it. They were yelling at people who tried to do that.

That is how it worked when I sailed from Port Liberty and I thought it was quite convenient. Just dropped the luggage and drove straight to park.

When we sailed, it was one of the best experiences I've had at a pier. Sorry you didn't find the same.

Archived