Port Libery is the Pits

NJGRANNY

Just got home from our 12-day cruise on the Explorer. (What a beautiful ship.)

Cape Liberty is just not ready for a large cruise ship (or a small one for that matter). It is disorganized beyond belief.

When we embarked, it was configured one way (where you drop off luggage, etc.). When we debarked today, they had changed everything around.

The lack of signage is astounding. The workers directing traffic scream and yell at the people in the cars.

I directed some people who were embarking because there are no signs telling you which way to go after you leave the long-term parking lot.

If you go to pick up your car, there is NO place where you can collect your luggage and the rest of your passengers.

It is the port from hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strange when we used it it was very well marked and easy...I saw the Explorer in the Harbor today and it looked like it was forward of where it normally docked but that may just have been an illusion.

also I went and got my car drove back and picked up my luggage and my wife...

It was not good today. I think the lateness of the ship's arrival has a lot to do with the bedlam. It was really bad when we arrived 12 days ago. It only took one hour for us to get to the port but it took an hour and a half after that to get on the ship. We arrived as the muster alarm rang and had to go get our life vests and come down.

We have had two good and two bad embarkations or debarkations.

When we came back today, they had changed the baggage drop off from when we embarked. They weren't allowing cars to stick to the right and drop off the luggage there. You had to go into the road where you get into the long-term parking, but stick to the right. They had the luggage things there.

If they had any place to stop and pick up passengers and luggage, we sure didn't see it. They were yelling at people who tried to do that.

Sorry to hear you guys had so many horrible issues.........seems if the ship is off schedule it throws the whole port out of wack.........Hopefully it won't happen when I board in 9 days......but I will be prepared.

Even with the problems at the port, it didn't detract from a great cruise. Wishing you happy sailing - it's a beautiful ship.

I am surely not worried about not having a great time.....the only issue I am worried about is rocking and rolling like I have been hearing about. As long as my family or myself does not get seasick I know we will have a awesome time regardless of what happens at the port. I am prepared. Thanks for you well wishes of happy sailing.

I am surely not worried about not having a great time.....the only issue I am worried about is rocking and rolling like I have been hearing about. As long as my family or myself does not get seasick I know we will have a awesome time regardless of what happens at the port. I am prepared. Thanks for you well wishes of happy sailing.

That's something to watch out for, you're going across the Atlantic and it's rough anyway, I'm not sure which itinerary you're on, but if I'm glad to (sea) that your prepared. We're pretty seasoned but we respect the Atlantic and all it's streams. Enjoy your trip and Merry Christmas.

I have to agree the layout for getting your car and going back to pick up your fellow passengers and luggage at "the tent" is very disorganized. The staff was yelling at all the drivers when we were there also but I understand why... they were very frustrated because nobody was listening to their instructions. (also remember that at this time of year most people have their car windows shut so they have to yell to be heard).

Hopefully, when they build the new terminal it will have a better traffic flow.

Listen to the weather report before sailing. Take a boninne or ginger tablets before you set foot on the ship. Finally listen to the captain's report and if he calls for high winds or rough weather take your tablets before the weather starts. You could see people who weathered the storm or people who looked like laundry.

Sounds like RCCL could use communication as a tool to contain the frustration. People want to do the right thing, but when communication breaks down, and they don;t know, they get frustrated.

as they say... A little Information goes a long way.

Listen to the weather report before sailing. Take a boninne or ginger tablets before you set foot on the ship. Finally listen to the captain's report and if he calls for high winds or rough weather take your tablets before the weather starts. You could see people who weathered the storm or people who looked like laundry.

I will do that....do you swallow Bonnine or chew it? Where do you get Ginger tablets? Are they in the vitamin aisle?

Sounds like RCCL could use communication as a tool to contain the frustration. People want to do the right thing, but when communication breaks down, and they don;t know, they get frustrated.

as they say... A little Information goes a long way.

What some people forget to think about is that RCCL does not operate the ports, the local port authority usually does. RCCL pays for the services in the ports, but it is the officials who determine which direction to come in, when to allow cars to go to the terminal to drop off luggage. Take a look at the name tags of the port employees (not the ones checking you in at the desk) and you will see that it says port liberty, or port of miami, etc etc....

What some people forget to think about is that RCCL does not operate the ports, the local port authority usually does. RCCL pays for the services in the ports, but it is the officials who determine which direction to come in, when to allow cars to go to the terminal to drop off luggage. Take a look at the name tags of the port employees (not the ones checking you in at the desk) and you will see that it says port liberty, or port of Miami, etc etc....

It still falls upon RCCL to encourage more communication, and work as OUR agent to effect change at the port. My contract is with RCCL who contracts with the port. So my avenue of communication is with them. I want to see RCCL do more to let people on board know what is happening and a way to stage people coming into the port, so that the two flows don't cross, which from casual observation only servers to make the cluster even worse. Because of the lack of good logistics, any delays in arriving turn into snowball of compounding issues.

I am not stomping mad or whining... I'm complaining... whining is yapping about something that cannot be fixed... I am hopefully encouraging anyone at RCCL to take some action at Liberty to smooth the flow, and communication when it all falls apart.

Continued issues at the port will have a negative long term effect... as was mentioned the last time.. the first and last experience of a successful cruise should not be hours of delay and no communication..... I want all cruisers to have the best experience possible. I believe that with some effort, delays need not turn into clusters.

:D

I will do that....do you swallow Bonnine or chew it? Where do you get Ginger tablets? Are they in the vitamin aisle?

I easily get seasick and I swear by Bonine. You can either swallow it with water or chew it if no water handy. One pill every 24 hours works for me. Never tried ginger tablets.

On one cruise (Miami) it was really rough leaving the port, and DH (who usually doesn't get seasick) felt slightly queasy and refused dessert at dinner. I ate two! So those pills really work. I find mine at both Walgreens or Wal-Mart. Have a great cruise!

Taking first crusie in July 08 to Bermuda. Figure I will buy the ginger tablets and take one or two that morning before we get on the ship and carry along some bonine just in case.

BTW, ginger tablets aren't in a lot of drugstores but I know our Walmart has about 100 for under $4. Otherwise, should be able to get at GNC or other health food/vitamin place.

I easily get seasick and I swear by Bonine. You can either swallow it with water or chew it if no water handy. One pill every 24 hours works for me. Never tried ginger tablets.

On one cruise (Miami) it was really rough leaving the port, and DH (who usually doesn't get seasick) felt slightly queasy and refused dessert at dinner. I ate two! So those pills really work. I find mine at both Walgreens or Wal-Mart. Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much it is good to know you can swallow them because they taste gross and that makes me nausious so it defeats the purpose. LOL

I believe ginger is soothing on the stomach can never be to careful......4 in a cabin loosing it at one time could be nasty.

Port Liberty is in a state of being modified. I would expect, although I haven't had these problems, that drop off and pick up places are moved around from time to time.

Currently RCCL is planning to dredge the area near the terminal so that ships can pull through and dock righ at the terminal. This has been planned for over a year so far but when government get involved it moves slower.

Some of the original plans, I saw an artist conception of the final product, there will be stores, shopping, hotel (I think), parks, etc. If it ever gets done it will be a great pier

As I recall reading RCCL has a 30 plus year contract to use the pier. Money to fix it up will be supplied by RCCL, State of NJ, and Bayonne city

I recall reading RCCL bought the pier, named it cape liberty- I will look to see if I have the article from way back bookmarked and post the link. :rolleyes:

We have left 3 times and both embrakation and disembarking was hassle free........actually they were all great experiences except for last July watching a piece of luggage fly out of one of the bins. As for picking up your party and luggage waiting if you park at cape liberty, when we parked there we had a porter graciously and carefully take our luggage directly to our truck in long term pkg. When a limo picks us up, we remain in the tent area for seconds until the driver pulls aorund......I can picture some loud tones but I dont think the porters are actually yelling @ pax, but trying to maybe control the flow of traffic. I guess better signage could help. We have even seen Bayonne police directing traffic, I wonder what happened to that? In any event, I'm sure it has to do with modification of the ship sailing in..if it is late there is disruption...I hope this sail out now, Explorer......has smooth sailing!!

The worst part about the port is that cell phone reception stinks and there are no pay phones anywhere to be found!!

really?????????oy which service do you have? Maybe one works better then another. I need to know because I have to call when we are ready to get off the ship

Thanks so much it is good to know you can swallow them because they taste gross and that makes me nausious so it defeats the purpose. LOL

I believe ginger is soothing on the stomach can never be to careful......4 in a cabin loosing it at one time could be nasty.

Bonine is actually a raspberry flavor.

Archived