Aurora & Oriana Advice Please

Neilius

Oriana and Aurora are visiting Australia in 2008.

While they're here, I've decided to take some family and friends on a couple of short coastal cruises, so we can experience these wonderful ships first hand.

I've sailed on P&O's Australian ships before, and have a pretty good idea of what's acceptable to wear at dinner time on an Australian cruise, but I understand that the expectations may be different aboard Oriana and Aurora.

To help my travelling companions and I enjoy our evenings on board, would you please let us know what sort of clothes to take for evenings? On the Aussie cruises I'd wear trousers, and an open-necked shirt on the smart casual evenings, and add a tie, and maybe a jacket on the formal evenings.

Would I need a bow tie?

One other thing. The cruises we're taking are pretty short. I'd like my companions to have wonderful memories of their time on board. Can you recommend any places on board that we should make an effort to see?

Neil

Not sure what the "norms" are for short legs on the World Cruises ex.Australia.

On a 14n ex.UK cruise one can except circa 4 Formal, 5 Semi-Formal and 5 Smart Casual evenings

The norms for ex.UK P&O cruises are:

Formal: DJ or dark suit with a bow tie.

Semi-Formal: Suit or jacket and tie

Smart Casual.

(On fly-cruse ex.UK to the Caribbean there are no Semi Formal evenings).

Oriana and Aurora are visiting Australia in 2008.

While they're here, I've decided to take some family and friends on a couple of short coastal cruises, so we can experience these wonderful ships first hand.

I've sailed on P&O's Australian ships before, and have a pretty good idea of what's acceptable to wear at dinner time on an Australian cruise, but I understand that the expectations may be different aboard Oriana and Aurora.

To help my travelling companions and I enjoy our evenings on board, would you please let us know what sort of clothes to take for evenings? On the Aussie cruises I'd wear trousers, and an open-necked shirt on the smart casual evenings, and add a tie, and maybe a jacket on the formal evenings.

Would I need a bow tie?

One other thing. The cruises we're taking are pretty short. I'd like my companions to have wonderful memories of their time on board. Can you recommend any places on board that we should make an effort to see?

Neil

Neil,

What you would wear on a formal evening would match what we would wear on an informal evening, jacket tie etc.

For a formal evening in P&O UK, gentlemen would wear a DJ, black or white. However you could get away with a dark suit. If you wished to conform fully then you will find that 95% of men on a cruise ex UK would wear a DJ and I suspect this would be higher on the world.

So to fully enjoy the ambiance you may wish to follow suit and wear a DJ.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

We have done short legs of the world and its the same as UK cruises.

Formal is dinner jacket and bow tie

Semi Formal is a Jacket, shirt and tie

Casual is no jacket requried... open neck shirt etc

how ever the number of each all depends on the sea/port days, you will find port days are casual and sea days are formal or semi formal. It is possable to have two formal nights together on a worldee which dosnt seem to happen on a regular Southampton to Southampton cruise ( two weeks)

:)

Neilus

As to what not to miss

Oriana Rhodes restaurant, alternative dining with a small cover charge but a great experience.

Aurora Cafe Bordeaux similarly does an alternative dining experience, not quite as "fine dining " but a lovely meal.

Crow's Nest on both ships.

Rear terraces on both ships.

Just being onboard either of my 2 personal favourites!!

Hi Neilus, what sectors are you doing? As for what to wear for formal, informal nights if the sectors are short with back to back ports you probably won't need formal. We did fremantle to Southampton on Adonia in 2004 and many gents on the short sectors wore a dark suit and ordinary tie on formal nights and the same for informal, no one is going to kick you out of the restaurant for not having a bow tie. We had someone at our table in a t shirt and jacket on a formal night. IN 2006 we did a short sector to singapore and took friends who hadn't cruised before and he took a dark suit and just bought a bow tie to wear with it. Most of the regular cruisers do wear the dinner jackets and bow ties and many english gents wear the cream tuxedos so my hubby went out and bought one, which hopefully means lots more cruises.

Also enjoy your videos, they are great and shipwatcher

Hi Neilus, what sectors are you doing? As for what to wear for formal, informal nights if the sectors are short with back to back ports you probably won't need formal. We did fremantle to Southampton on Adonia in 2004 and many gents on the short sectors wore a dark suit and ordinary tie on formal nights and the same for informal, no one is going to kick you out of the restaurant for not having a bow tie. We had someone at our table in a t shirt and jacket on a formal night. IN 2006 we did a short sector to singapore and took friends who hadn't cruised before and he took a dark suit and just bought a bow tie to wear with it. Most of the regular cruisers do wear the dinner jackets and bow ties and many english gents wear the cream tuxedos so my hubby went out and bought one, which hopefully means lots more cruises.

Also enjoy your videos, they are great and shipwatcher

Hi Witchymob

Thanks for the advice.

We're doing Auckland to Sydney (4 days) on Aurora, and Brisbane Sydney on Oriana (3 days).

The Cream Tuxedo sounds like a good idea, since I could wear a pair of my existing dark trousers with it.

I'm glad you like the videos and website. If you've got any suggestions for a cruisecam video, please let me know. Just post a comment on the blog.

The website has about 90 cameras on it now, and it's hard for me to keep an eye on all "my ships" :)

Neil

"We're doing Auckland to Sydney (4 days) on Aurora, and Brisbane Sydney on Oriana (3 days)."

Hope you enjoy both cruises. We adore the Oriana having just had our 6th cruise on her. We're joining the Aurora for the first time in SanFrancisco in January and getting off at Auckland, spending a week in New Zealand and then 2 weeks in your lovely country. Planning to drive the Great Ocean road.

Caryl

Archived