Spirit veterans: talk with me about electronics please

SunniLicious

OK, sorry to rehash things, but just to make sure I'm understanding everyone correctly (this post has gotten confusing for me with all the wattage/adapters/etc talk)...

if I bring a surge protector, I can plug it into the US outlet near the vanity area (outside the bathroom) to recharge my/bf's ipods and the batteries for my digital camera without blowing a fuse or destroying our expensive gadgets, right? Also, if my curling iron is LESS than 500 watts, I can use it in the US outlet without needing an adapter?

Thanks for your patience! :o

yes, i had my laptop plugged to the outlet strip. i use a surge protector as my outlet strip...since i have several:D . i had my camera batteries charging, at the same time. no problems. just hair dryers or other things that draw too much power.

OK, sorry to rehash things, but just to make sure I'm understanding everyone correctly (this post has gotten confusing for me with all the wattage/adapters/etc talk)...

if I bring a surge protector, I can plug it into the US outlet near the vanity area (outside the bathroom) to recharge my/bf's ipods and the batteries for my digital camera without blowing a fuse or destroying our expensive gadgets, right? Also, if my curling iron is LESS than 500 watts, I can use it in the US outlet without needing an adapter?

Thanks for your patience! :o

Yes to everything. Does not need to be surge protector. Simple power strip or even extension cord with multiple outlets on end. Plug hair dryer or curling iron direct to outlet since they do take a bit more power than that other stuff.

Since the Spirit is going into drydock this fall, wouldn't it make sense to overhaul the electrical system? Is that something that is done during a dry dock?

I'm trying to make some sense of all of this. I can use any wattage dryer/straightner IF I bring an adapter and plug it into the "European" plug? Is that right? If so, I'll go buy an adapter.

We just got off the Spirit 2 weeks ago. And, being new to cruise critic, I did not get the information on the electrical plug ins being different. We did have the note about not using any more than 500w. My dad who is an electrician said I should not use my hairdryer because it has the possibility of blowing up. I opted for the ship hair dyrer which did fine. But, you can imagine my horror when he said if my hair dryer is more than 500w my chi flat iron would also be more. I can live without my hair dryer but not my chi - otherwise I will look like a cocker spaniel. I made the decison to plug the chi in - at risk of it being the 3rd time I would blow it up. It did PERFECTLY fine.

We sailed on the Spirit twice.

The 1st time I did not bring my my blow dryer but found that I did not love the "blower" in the bathroom. I am used to more velocity than that.

The 2nd time I brought my 1800+ blower and had no problems.

We also travel with a battery charger for our digital camera and the last night charge our cell phones.

We had no problems at all.

Here's some basic Ohms Law at work to answer your question.

Power in Watts (P) = Current in Amps (I) x Volts (E)

Therefore I = P / E

I = 1875 W / 120 V

I = 15.6 Amps.

Most electrical circuits in the USA feeding living rooms, dens, bedrooms and bathrooms receptacles have 15 Amp circuit breakers. The rating of the circuit breaker is based upon the size wire used to wire the receptacle. 15 Amps for 14 awg (gauge) wire. Since the hair dryer isn't on continuously (all the time) you don't trip the circuit breaker.

Let's look at the Amps required for European 240 volts.

1875 / 240 = 7.8 Amps. Half the amps means you can use half the gauge wire, probably 18 awg or less.

The Spirit, being designed for the Asian market using 240 Volts, with no intention to ever sail in North America, was wired with smaller gauge wires to every cabin. That's why there is a 500 Watt limitiation in every cabin.

To rewire the entire ship will take weeks, possibly months. There must be hundreds of miles of wiring aboard it. It would cost a small fortune to rewire the ship.

The 1875 Watt hair dryer is okay to use with the 240 Volt Asian or European receptacles. But it's not okay to use with the American 110 Volt receptacles.

The more Amps you have, more heat is generated in the wires. The purpose of the circuit breakers is to prevent the wiring from over heating caused by too much current, which can cause shorts and electrical fires.

Here is the deal. The ladies that you are answering questions for don't care about ohms law. They also don't want to know what you assume or think. They are only interested in facts. If you are married or have a long time girl friend you will know this.

Can they use the high wattage hair dryer yes or no. I have read many posts on this subject. Some say yes some say know. But you have to look at the date of the post. And then you have find out how powerful the appliance was being used.

My wife is bringing her mack daddy hairdryer. I think I could use it to take the paint off the house. If it shuts down the hall way we will let you know. If not we will let you know. I will all so be charging batteries for 2 camcorders, and 2 cameras, 2 cell phones.

Fill you in, in a couple of weeks!~;)

Since the Spirit is going into drydock this fall, wouldn't it make sense to overhaul the electrical system? Is that something that is done during a dry dock?

I'm trying to make some sense of all of this. I can use any wattage dryer/straightner IF I bring an adapter and plug it into the "European" plug? Is that right? If so, I'll go buy an adapter.

Have you ever watch how they build cruise ships. There is a good one on Discovery and Natgeo also, about building RCCL's Freedom class. Each, cabin is built off site, as a module, pre-wired and finished. Then they truch them to the were the ship is being built and slide them in place. Rewiring a ship is not an option to still make a profit. It would just take to long.

Come to think of it Electricon, with the small fortune that they are charging us for the cabins, they should rewire the Spirit. I'm sure they can afford it.

How long is a ship in drydock for usually?

Can somebody post what the adaptor thing looks like from Walmart?

Am I reading this right. Are you actually complaining about the cost of a cabin! Either you are a bum the lives on the street and shouldn't be taking these types of vacations or you like so many other americans has yet again over extended yourself.

A cruise is problable the cheapest vacation you will ever take. Try go on a vacation and rent a car, rent a hotel room, eat 3 or more times a day, see entertainment. For less than $600-$1200 per person. It just ain't gonna happen!

Here is the deal. The ladies that you are answering questions for don't care about ohms law. They also don't want to know what you assume or think. They are only interested in facts. If you are married or have a long time girl friend you will know this.

Can they use the high wattage hair dryer yes or no? I have read many posts on this subject. Some say yes some say know.

Fill you in, in a couple of weeks!~;)

My previous reply answered the main question clearly.

"The 1875 Watt hair dryer is okay to use with the 240 Volt Asian or European receptacles. But it's not okay to use with the American 110 Volt receptacles."

Whether your wife's hairdryer will trip the circuit breaker depends upon two factors?

(1)What wattage it is rated at?

(2) How long she uses it?

The higher the wattage, and the longer she uses it, the higher the chances are she will trip a circuit breaker.

Am I reading this right. Are you actually complaining about the cost of a cabin! Either you are a bum the lives on the street and shouldn't be taking these types of vacations or you like so many other americans has yet again over extended yourself.

A cruise is problable the cheapest vacation you will ever take. Try go on a vacation and rent a car, rent a hotel room, eat 3 or more times a day, see entertainment. For less than $600-$1200 per person. It just ain't gonna happen!

Wow! Strong words from an ignorant/stupid person. Just for the record pally, I'm far from a bum! Your stupid response shows what kind of person that you are. Sounds like you have problems with Americans. If you even bothered to look at my siggie, I'm more than familiar with vacation cruising. As far as I'm concerned, you are on ignore.

Electricon - you wrote about the Spirit outlets being "240". I understand 220 but am not familiar with 240. I have a converter (with several adapter plugs) that allows me to plug into a 220 line and convert that to use with a 110 device. Do you have any idea whether that type of converter will work with the Spirit outlets or do I need to take that back and pick up a converter that specifically states it converts from "240" to 110? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Archived