Castaway Cay Snorkeling

KY Transplant

Hows the snorkeling on Castaway Cay?

Is it worthwhile off the beaches on the island or would a Catamaran Snorkeling adventure be more worthwhile?

Concerning snorkeling off the beach, would one area be better than another...such as the family beach vs Serenity Bay?

Thanks!

Hows the snorkeling on Castaway Cay?

Is it worthwhile off the beaches on the island or would a Catamaran Snorkeling adventure be more worthwhile?

Concerning snorkeling off the beach, would one area be better than another...such as the family beach vs Serenity Bay?

Thanks!

I was snorkeling off the beach at Serenity Bay yesterday. That's the only place on Castaway Cay I've ever been... so I can't give you a comparison. I can tell you that I saw several sting rays, a ton of sand dollars, a few starfish (all dead), lots of tiny fish, several fish with really pointy tails and giant eyes and several other fish that I'm completely unqualified to identify.

It was very calm and very clear. It wasn't something I'd ever pay for, but it was nice for free. The water wasn't more than 6 feet deep most everywhere I wandered (even really far out by the barriers) but right in the middle out at the furthest point it was about 10 feet deep for a nice large piece. I did a lot of diving to the bottom out there just to pick up random shells or starfish or sand dollars (for the conservationists here... I didn't remove them and I was very gentle with them).

I've seen a lot better snorkeling... a LOT better. This was just relaxing. If you are going for adventure, skip this. If you want cheap and easy, do this.

I agree, the lagoon is quite large, and even for a full cruise ship of passengers, you have plenty of room to roam. When we were at castaway cay, there was a baracuda swimming by the underwater Mickey it left us alone. Made for some nice pictures.

If your going to snorkel I would highly suggest bringing your own gear. The gear at CC is not that great. The masks are old and most leak, the snorkels are not a great quality and do not prevent back flow. You can get a nice set for around $60.00 which includes good fins,mask,mesh bag,and snorkel. Last time I was there it was $25.00 to rent might be more now but for $60 it's a good investment. There is no charge for the yellow snorkeling vests at CC which are required. The gear packs very easily in your luggage. Oh, one other thing bring a rash guard!! You WILL burn if your not covered. I have seen a lot of lobsters at CC snorkeling.

Thanks for the info everyone. I get the drift....the snorkelings not the geatest there but its OK for free.:)

I got my own snorkel gear.My first time snorkeling I rented gear from the vendor on a carnival cruise and swore I would never rent again. BAD!

I wear glasses so I even got a custom mask with the lens ground to my prescription. I love it!:D

Archived