Back For More Advice

Molly's Dad

Hello All

We are getting ready for our second cruise and I don't mind saying that I'm just as excited as I was on the first one. I guess the shine hasn't completely worn off the new toy. Last year we were on the Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera and had a blast. You meet some of the nicest people on cruise ships!!! (Cruise Critic Board too) The last time I used this board I got some great tips and advice so I thought I'd try it again.

1. We are flying into LA and was wondering if the members of this board could reccomend a service to get from LA Airport to Longbeach and what we can expect to pay. We are arriving the day before the cruise so won't be going directly to the cruise terminal.

2. I have heard some good and bad about staying on the Queen Mary prior to the cruise .... anyone want to wade in on this?

3. Last year we found out about Rosy's Tours in Acapulco on this board - it was great and reasonably priced and I highly reccomend it. (She still sends me email greeting cards for holiday occasions) I'd like to know if there are any like tour operators in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. If anyone knows about good tours please provide contact info. Also if anyone knows of things to do or "must sees" in any of the ports also let me know.

4. Last year I don't remember reading so many negative posts regarding Carnival. Is Carnival going down hill or are more people becoming jaded with respect to Cruise Lines? In my working life I have stayed in a lot of hotels and ate in countless restarants and never have I recieved the quality of service or food that I did on our Carnival Cruise. I can't say enough good things about "most" of the crew members.

5. I'm not a big drinker but do dearly love a good glass of wine with dinner or a goblet just sitting listening to a good Jazz band (another passion of mine). Am I reading right that Carnival has revised it's policy on bringing wine on board to a limit of 1 bottle per person instead of the subjective "reasonable amount"?

5. We sail January 20/08 on the Pride so anyone sailing on that cruise check in and say hi.

6. All other free advice, tips, and pointers will be greatfully accepted.

This is kind of like "asking the audience" on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire so thanks in advance.

I can help on a few of your questions.....

We used Prime Time Shuttle to go from LAX to the ship. This was Oct. 2006, so the prices may well have changed, but it was around $40-50 plus tip for the two of us as I recall. The only down side was that he van would NOT leave LAX until it was full. We spent about 30-45 minutes just circling the baggage area looking for riders. Just do a Google search on "LAX Ground Transportation" and you will see all of your options.

Last time we were in Cabo, we did the ATV excursion. We wanted to book it independently, but Royal Caribbean had a contract with the vendor that prohibited them from taking cruise customers directly. This was because of the price difference.....Royal marked it up above the normal rate. However, it was an absolute BLAST. It's OK if you have never ridden an ATV - they teach you before you go out on the tour. I strongly recommend that you wear clothes that you would be willing to throw away if necessary. It's an EXTREMELY dusty trip.....but one that my wife and I still talk about!

I wouldn't sweat any negative stuff you may have read - after all, you will find more positive on these boards than there is negative. It's just people expressing their opinions......and you know what they say about opinions and a certain part of the human anatomy! ;) Bottom line, not everyone is going to have a great trip....some people have higher expectations than others. Head out with the attitude that you are going to have a great time, and odds are that you will!

Have a great cruise!

Joe

Here's some input on three of the questions.

In addition to the shuttle mentioned by the other poster, another one is Super Shuttle. Their web site is http://www.supershuttle.com

The advantage of staying on the Queen Mary is that it is right next to the Carnival Cruise Line Termian. The Queen Mary is obviously old and has not been updated in several years. I stayed there a number of years. Another thought is to stay about a mile awa at the Hyatt Hotel in Long Beach. We stayed there in 2006 and it was quite nice. From there you can go over to the Queen Mary for a self guided tour of the ship if you would like. Also, about a five minute walk from the Hyatt is the Long Beach Aquarium. There are also lots of stores and restaurants nearby.

I think in term of sailing Carnival that all of this is a personal decision. If you are pleased with Carnival that's the most important opinion that counts.

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

Here's some input on three of the questions.

In addition to the shuttle mentioned by the other poster, another one is Super Shuttle. Their web site is www.supershuttle.com

The advantage of staying on the Queen Mary is that it is right next to the Carnival Cruise Line Termian. The Queen Mary is obviously old and has not been updated in several years. I stayed there a number of years. Another thought is to stay about a mile awa at the Hyatt Hotel in Long Beach. We stayed there in 2006 and it was quite nice. From there you can go over to the Queen Mary for a self guided tour of the ship if you would like. Also, about a five minute walk from the Hyatt is the Long Beach Aquarium. There are also lots of stores and restaurants nearby.

I think in term of sailing Carnival that all of this is a personal decision. If you are pleased with Carnival that's the most important opinion that counts.

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

I will second the Hyatt and the Aquarium. Really enjoyed both of them. Not sure of the name, but there is a really great seafood resturant that sits across the bay from the Aquarium not too far from the QM. Great food.

Hi!

Can't really help you with a review of the Queen Mary, but my DH and I will be staying on it for 2 nights prior to our cruise in Feb. I've heard that it is a bit "long in the tooth" but we are going to stay there anyway. I guess it'll make us all the happier once we get on the Diamond. It just seems like it'll be a fun place to stay. I can stay at a hotel anywhere. Lots of people seem to go to the Crowne in Long Beach but it isn't our cup of tea. Check out the ports of call section and you'll get lots of ideas.

Susan

Archived