Alaska on RCCL?

After reading around a bit it seems there aren't many people that use RCCL for Alaska cruises. I have to use them as they are the only cruise line I have seen that leaves from Seattle, WA. I am planning for the May 23rd, 2008 Alaska on the Rhapsody? Now reading the endless threads I see bascially 0 that talk about Alaska on this cruise line. I have sailed with RCCl and want to stick with them if possible, but am getting worried now...

After reading around a bit it seems there aren't many people that use RCCL for Alaska cruises. I have to use them as they are the only cruise line I have seen that leaves from Seattle, WA. I am planning for the May 23rd, 2008 Alaska on the Rhapsody? Now reading the endless threads I see bascially 0 that talk about Alaska on this cruise line. I have sailed with RCCl and want to stick with them if possible, but am getting worried now...

I wouldn't worry about the lack of Alaska posts here. It may have something to do with the fact that cruising to the Caribbean is year round and Alaska only limited (May - September). I posted a few questions in regards to Alaska (for 2009) and have always gotten great info from my fellow CCers and not one has had a negative word about cruising RCI in Alaska.

Just start a topic and you will see that the experienced Alaska cruisers are more than willing to chip in.

:D;)

I did Alaska round trip from Vancouver on the Serenade with RCCL and it was WONDERFUL. If you want to talk a lot about Alaska you should visit the Alaska port of call board which is extremely active. Click on the link in my signature for pictures.

We're booked on the Rhapsody on May 30, 2008. We chose that sailing because we really want to try that ship, and we want a round-trip cruise out of Seattle.

Since the Alaska sailings are in the summer, you aren't likely to find many reviews of those sailings posted on the boards right now. However, the Rhapsody was a very popular ship when she was based in Galveston. We saw her there when we sailed on the Carnival Conquest, and I have to admit, when we saw her, we were jealous of the pax that got to sail on her.

Since you posted on the RC board, you are likely to get a favorable response from people regarding RC sailings to Alaska. If you check out the Alaska boards, the opinions might be a little more balanced among the cruiselines. Before we booked our cruise, I remember reading that some people believe RC is great for sailing the Caribbean, but not so great for Alaska. The favorites seemed to be Princess and HAL. We still chose RC, however. I know I like them, and the itinerary and departure port were appealing to us.

Keep in mind that the Rhapsody will be sailing Tracy Arm Fjord with a possible viewing of Sawyer Glacier depending on the waters at that time. From what I've read, it isn't always possible, and the late June and July sailings have the best success. This didn't really matter much to us. We just want a taste of Alaska this time around, then in a few years we will go on another cruise one-way from or to Anchorage on a Radiance class ship.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip! Oh, and check out the Roll Call / Meet & Mingle for that sailing. Seems like there are some fun people already booked!

We have sailed to Alaska twice.....once on the Splendour and once on the Radiance. Both trips were absolutely amazing. When ranking our many cruises.....Alaska is right there at the top, even above the Caribbean cruises.....so go and enjoy. RCI does a nice job with their Alaskan cruises.

Hi, I'm on the May 23rd sailing on the Rhapsody and really looking forward to it. Please come join our roll call http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621215

A lot of the reason people talk up HAL and Princess is that they have been doing Alaska longer than other lines. They also have a lot more ships doing Alaska than RCCL so you will hear more mention of them.

Rhapsody's a good little ship, with a great Captain, and as long as you realize we may or may not actually be able to get into Tracy Arm to view the glaciers you'll still have a great cruise. There is so much to see in Alaska that really just one cruise isn't going to be enough.

jonnyc020385 - I was just reading your other post about your brother. Keep in mind that the Rhapsody sailing does stop in British Columbia which is out of the country. Not sure if this is an issue or not, but I figured I would throw it out there...

After reading around a bit it seems there aren't many people that use RCCL for Alaska cruises. I have to use them as they are the only cruise line I have seen that leaves from Seattle, WA.

Holland America also does Alaska trips out of Seattle. I did one on the Noordam this past May and had a great time. It was my first Holland America cruise after three with Royal Caribbean. Although I found that Royal Caribbean has more action / night life, for Alaska I was looking for more of a relaxing cruise and was more interested in taking in the scenary than partying. To me Holland America provided somewhat of a more upscale experience which is what I was looking for in an Alaska cruise.

jonnyc020385 - I was just reading your other post about your brother. Keep in mind that the Rhapsody sailing does stop in British Columbia which is out of the country. Not sure if this is an issue or not, but I figured I would throw it out there...

I think that all Alaska cruises leaving from a U.S. Port make at least one stop in the port of another country.

I spent 2 weeks on Radiance in AK and then another 2 weeks on land earlier in the year. I had a great time doing both. Just some comments for whatever they are worth:

> Compared to HAL and Princess and even X, RCI has a relatively small presence in AK.

> HAL & Princess have been cruising AK for much longer and both have a significant land presence.

> RCI is banned from Glacier Bay, one of the more popular glacier viewing stops.

> It's tough for me to recommend the Rhapsody because I'm just not a big fan of the itinerary. You really only get 2 true AK stops.

> Check on the AK boards about going to Tracy Arm that early in the season. There might be floating ice issues that prevent you from actually seeing the area.

> If you really have to sail from Seattle, you might try the NCL Pearl. I am not a fan of NCL at all, but the itinerary is a bit better, and some trusted folks recommend her for AK.

We sailed Rccl Serenade of the Seas last July r.t from Vancouver as well.

The ship has glass all around, including glass elevators that look out to the ocean, so pretty. Don't worry about a thing, just enjoy the beauty of Alaska and all it has to offer. By the way, check out the Alaska board often, it helped me plan for our group of 16, got great tips and advice ;)

Why is that?

Polluting and illegal dumping. It happened years ago and supposedly on a small scale, but there are some who think RCI will never get those permits again, though they are desperately trying to.

I posted a link with more info somewhere on here a few months ago. I'll see if I can find it.

The incident actually helped bring about the "Save the Waves" campaign we see so much of now...

Polluting and illegal dumping. It happened years ago and supposedly on a small scale, but there are some who think RCI will never get those permits again, though they are desperately trying to.

I posted a link with more info somewhere on here a few months ago. I'll see if I can find it.

The incident actually helped bring about the "Save the Waves" campaign we see so much of now...

So all Carnival owned lines are allowed? I assume they are the only ones. I smell corruption. :D

We also sailed the Serenade last year out of Vancouver and had a wonderful time. RCI did a bang up job, as usual, and our trip was most memorable.

As for the comment on "Why RCI is not allowed into Glacier Bay?" I believe it has to do with limiting the number of ships into a US National Park which is why only Holland America goes there.

As for the comment on "Why RCI is not allowed into Glacier Bay?" I believe it has to do with limiting the number of ships into a US National Park which is why only Holland America goes there.

They do limit the number of ships, but HAL, Princess, and NCL all have itineraries that go there.

That being said, some people prefer Hubbard Glacier (which RCCL does go to on their itineraries out of Vancouver) over Glacier Bay. A lot of it seems to be personal preference.

So all Carnival owned lines are allowed? I assume they are the only ones. I smell corruption. :D

I'm not an expert on the history, so I can't comment more. I think other lines have been cited, but just not to the extent as RCI was.

There are AK residents on the AK board; they may know more.

We also sailed the Serenade last year out of Vancouver and had a wonderful time. RCI did a bang up job, as usual, and our trip was most memorable.

I believe the park service has a limit of 2 ships / day.

They do limit the number of ships, but HAL, Princess, and NCL all have itineraries that go there.

That being said, some people prefer Hubbard Glacier (which RCCL does go to on their itineraries out of Vancouver) over Glacier Bay. A lot of it seems to be personal preference.

Never did Glacier bay, but boy oh boy was Hubbard a sight to see! There was an earthquake the night before we reached it and there was a lot of calving going on. It was so beautiful and breathtaking. The captain got us within 700 yards or so.......so lucky. It was something I will never forget (that and the dog sledding of course:D)

We did the Seattle Round-trip last June on the Vision. I would highly recommend this sailing. We had a wonderful time. We were able to make it through Tracy Arm (the picture in my avitar is of the glacier at the end). It was breath taking.

I know that many have said the RCL lacks something in the Alaskan sailings. My in-laws sailed on HA the week before us and it really seemed like we had a better time.

I believe that it is impossible to see all of the sights in just 1 sailing. Overall, that is why we chose the Tracy Arm sailing. It was easier to get to Seattle and with the more port intensive itiniaries on other ships, next time we will not be disappointed due to high expectations after our June 07 cruise.

I would not recommend Prince Rupert, however. Not really much to do there and if we were to go again, probably would not get off the ship.

Debbi

Nmcrzer,

This was the only one we found that was close to US only, and we got special permission for him to go but not get off the boat there, he is okay with it.

NCL also sails in and out of Seattle. Check the itineraries of the different ships. I am taking Daughter and grandson and wanted them to see what I think are the 3 biggies for first timers: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway. NCL fills the bill, wish Rhapsody did. Would have preferred it. However, DD and GS are thrilled about any time dining and not having to dress up so much. So there is a lot to be considered. I'm sure you wil find the right ship, time, itinerary that is just right for you if you keep looking.

My wife and I recently booked our fist Alaska trip for Aug. 08 on the Serenade. We will be taking my mother (she doesn't know yet) for her first cruise ever!

I did get concerned a bit since our booking that a couple of TAs have recomended Princess over RCL for Alaska! As of now we have not altered our booking!

Archived