Shore Excursions........help!!!

We are going on our first cruise ever and have no idea what to do as far as excursions. We are on AOS hitting Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, we are looking for any suggestions.

In St. Thomas we ususally do our own thing. There are PLENTY of open aired vans right outside where the ship is docked. Some van drivers with make a deal with you and drive you to Charlotte Amailie in the morning for shopping, pick you up at a set time and bring you back to the ship for you to eat lunch and get beach supplies. Then they give you an hour tour of the isalnd and will drive you to a beach for 3 hours and drive you back to the ship for a flat rate. Ask for Raymond or his mother Maggie. Coki Beach is nice. The water is beautiful http://www.ultimatetaxi.com/vacation_photos/st_thomas_coki_beach2.htm

It's calm and clear and either great for snorkeling or just fun to feed the fish. We usually bring dog cookies or bread from the ship and an underwater camera.

I would recomment the BOSS adventure in ST. Thomas. It is a very enjoyable and unique experience. You operate your own personal underwater scooter. There is decent snorkeling too, while you are waiting for your turn. We enjoyed this excursion very much. Fun to do at least once.

We usually do our own thing in Curacao. Be sure to walk across the floating bridge and visit the floating market while you are there.

Aruba is the greatest. It is hard to fins a bad excursion or beach there.

Eric

Excursions really depend on you and what you like to do! Beaches require no excursions! Do get a guidebook either at a bookstore or library so you'll know the how's and where's of the beaches! Also, you will find info about shopping, restroom facilities, safety, etc.... invaluable info!

If you're into "active" excursions, definitely book through a company.

1st timers tend to do more excursions than repeat cruisers--they feel a need to see and do it all!

Sometimes, just staying on the ship during a port day can be a relaxing experience! The ship will feel like your own private yacht!

But--read up on all of your ports and then decide, what, if anything, you want to do!

In St Maarten, on one trip we booked massages at the spa at Little Divi Bay resort, then had lunch at a restaurant recommended to us by the receptionist at the spa, Kangaroo Court, near the courthouse, just off Front Street.

Another trip, a whole bunch of us booked the Pirate Day Cruise on the Lord Sheffield.

Totally different experiences, both wonderful!

In St. Martens, you can get one of the shuttles to Orient Beach. When you get there, you can make arrangements for the driver to return to pick you up. Before you choose an area to "settle," check the prices for chairs, umbrellas, etc. (they have signs up). It costs 1/2 the price of a beach excursion from the ship.

In St. Thomas, Magen's Bay is a really nice beach. They'll be buses right outside the ship. This month, it costs $8 per person each way and $4 each to get into the beach area.

We usually wait until we get back to the ship to eat lunch - just because we're cheap. ha, ha.

Have you read up on what excursions are available on the RC website for your sailing? I'd suggest doing that first. Next, check out the forums for each port. Once you've narrowed down your ideas, ask specific questions to get the best answers and opinions.

In St. Maarten we did the sailing regatta excursion. It was so much fun and we felt it was worth the money. The water was absolutely beautiful and the crew was great. We would definitely do it again. You still have time to go to the beach after or before the excursion!

We are going on our first cruise ever and have no idea what to do as far as excursions. We are on AOS hitting Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, we are looking for any suggestions.

are you on the March 2 cruise???

In Curacao---Sea Lion swim--once in a lifetime!

I believe this excursion is in St. Thomas my husband and I did it. It's called B.O.B underwater adventures. It was so much fun I will attach a link so you can see.

http://www.bobusvi.com/BOB_Guestbook.asp?page=flash

We just got back from AOS 12-9. Loved the shore excursions. We went on the sail/snorkeling tour in Aruba--very fun but the lunch was awful. In Curacao we went Kayaking--great fun but some work. In st. maarten we absolutely had a blast on the america cup regatta then we hung out on the beach $10 for 2 beach chairs and 2 heinekins it was a perfect day. In St. Thomas we went on the snorkel tour of St. John's love Trunk bay but you only get 2 hours there. Have fun.

There is so much choice depending on what you want to do. Sometimes we take the opportunity to do something we haven't done before, with someone who knows how to do it.

My two favourite excursions in St Thomas are the Eco Hike on St. Johns (after the hike, you spend about 45 minutes at Honeymoon beach which is just beautiful and not crowded). The hike itself is interesting and you learn a bit about the island and some of its history.

The other is the Kayaking/snorkeling in the marine sanctuary. They do a good job explaining the "how to's" to people who haven't kayaked before and the snorkeling is great for beginners because the water is so calm and clear.

But again, there is so much choice and I am rarely disappointed. Just be sure to book early so you get what you want.

Have a great trip!

If you want to snorkel at St. Maarten I recommend the Pinal Island excursion through RCCL. You get teh same island tour that you get on the way to Orient beach and it is a really nice snorkel spot. Last spring we say spotted eagle rays, baracudda, and the usual reef fish along with some eels and octopus.

hi we just booked the Turtle cove sail and snorkel for ST. Thomas! Sounds fun and my girls will enjoy hanging with the turtles! Looking out the window...all the snow already...I can not wait for the sun.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!!!:) :)

I can tell you what excursion NOT to take. That would be Blackbeards Castle excursion. First of all there is no castle. This was made up as an excuse to get tourists interested. You take a tour of some old houses, get a little rum punch and you finish at the shopping district. What a waste!

Do the beginner's scuba diving excursion in St. Maartin! (Offered through RC.) Definitely worth the $100/person or whatever it is. You don't have to have a license or any experience. The instructor folks are very kind and patient. I was way more freaked out than I thought I would be (it took me 15 minutes to work up the courage to even go all the way under water), and my instructor ended up working with me one-on-one and never left my side during the entire dive. It was a wonderful, memorable experience. Remember an underwater camera!

Archived