Luggage Forwarders

Has anyone ever used a luggage forwarder in Europe?

After a 10 day med cruise we are going to fly to Paris for 3 days before coming home. On the trip over and back Delta allows us 2 bags per person up to 50 pounds in each. (up to 100 total pounds)

Post cruise we are flying from Barcelona to Paris probably on Air France. With them we can only carry up to 44 pounds TOTAL.

My question is how reliable are the luggage forwarders in Europe? I am considering using one to send 1/2 of our luggage to Paris for the return trip home.

I just do not think that we can pack for 2 weeks in Europe at 44 pounds.

This element of the trip has become the most complicated part of the trip.

Thanks!

I have a similar question (I promise I'm not trying to hijack the thread!). We are planning 7 days travelling on our own in Italy primarily by train and then a 7 day cruise out of Rome. I would like to send or store the "extra" cruise clothes somewhere for the week while we tour on land with lighter loads. I have read you can store luggage at the Rome train station, but I cannot tell how much it would be for a week and how hard the service is to use. It appears that shipping a suitcase overseas is too expensive.

Anyone have any ideas?

When we recently flew to Rome for our precruise stay - we used Continental from Corpus Christi to Houston and Houston to Paris. We then changed to Air France from Paris to Rome. I too was concerned about weight limits being less on Air France.

Here is what I found. Not sure if this will apply to your situation since you will be stopping in Paris for a few days....but perhaps will help others who are flying straight through and worry about their luggage weighing too much. Perhaps you should see about adding the Barcelona to Paris portion of the flight to the flight home from Paris.....with a stopover. Not sure you can do this post 911.....used to be able to.

Since we BEGAN on Continental our luggage allowance ALL THE WAY THRU was 50 lbs each bag with 2 each passenger. Air France is a partner with Continental so they take the luggage that Continental allows. If you BEGIN your trip on Air France you must follow their weight limits.

Hope this makes sense. So the tip is : Check with the carrier you begin your trip with and make sure they are partnered with the airline you will change to for the remainder of the trip. (Or start the return portion with) I do believe Delta is an Air France partner as well.

Luckily we flew Continental back from Barcelona all the way home....

My husband and I returned a few weeks ago from a Med cruise. Before we boarded the ship, we were on a tour of Egypt & Jordan for over two weeks. Because of weight limits, we decided to ship a bag ( mostly cruise clothes ) to Istanbul, where the ship embarked. We used The Luggage Club. They were the only luggage service we could find willing to ship to Istanbul. The bag was at the hotel when we checked in, everything completely intack. I should warn you: this was not cheap! It was over $300 for a medium size bag. Again, It was probably because of the destination. Western Europe would probably be cheaper.

I called Air France. I was told that your carry on could weigh up to 20 pounds.

Does anyone know if they actually weigh your carry on luggage in Europe? I have never been and just don't know. Maybe I could put some of the heavy items in my backpack and carry on.

I did call Delta.....it would be a 200.00 per person change fee AND the price for the one way leg between BCN and CDG was 954.00 per person. "CRAZY" :eek:

I called Air France. I was told that your carry on could weigh up to 20 pounds.

Does anyone know if they actually weigh your carry on luggage in Europe? I have never been and just don't know. Maybe I could put some of the heavy items in my backpack and carry on.

I did call Delta.....it would be a 200.00 per person change fee AND the price for the one way leg between BCN and CDG was 954.00 per person. "CRAZY" :eek:

Nobody weighed our carryon...... and on the return trip we had a really heavy one !!!! Bought a carryon in Florence for souveniers (we had bought some hand painted tiles in Amalfi) as well as a bunch of other stuff. It was H-E-A-V-Y !!! Have heard they sometimes do weigh tho. It's a gamble.

When you called Delta - did they say you can still have a "stop-over" as I previously posted ??? Of course you would want to book it originally that way to avoid change fees...... just curious. For future use. Thanks.

Here's a thought. How about UPS ? We saw "one stop mail" service stores all over the place. One right around the corner from our hotel in Rome. Instead of forwarding luggage to Paris for return flight. Take out and box up some stuff and just UPS it home. Has to be cheaper than 1) forwarding service or 2) overage fees on Air France.

Archived