Do people not goto the dining room on the last night because they don't want tip?

awinner

There have been many times I have been on ships, when the last night in the dining room , it seems rather light...I wonder how many people actually stiff the staff because they feel they will never see them again.:confused:

Some people do avoid the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping the wait staff, but others are busy packing or using the last opportunity to go to the alternative dining venue. Personally, I wouldn't make assumptions about anyone, "assume" makes an ass out of u and me.

Who's to say some of the people haven't already tipped their staff the evening before if they knew they wouldn't be coming to the dining room the last evening?

Also, some may feel more comfortable tipping through the automatic daily tips on our charges paperwork. That is what we've done, upped our automatic tips not just for dining staff and housekeeper, because we felt they did a wonderful job during our trip.

We like to dine in the specialty restaurant on our last night onboard. We always visit the dining room on the way to dinner to give the wait staff their tips in person, thank them, share hugs, take pics, etc. It's hard to believe that folks spend all that $$ for a cruise vacation and go out of their way to not tip, but I know it happens....

I don't think that move ever crossed our minds....

Our group of 10 had received such great service in the dining room during our cruise, we decided that in addition to the auto-charge for general gratuities, we took up a separate collection for the team and presented the envelopes to them at the evening meal.

We detected a bit of a surprise from the team (maybe acting;) ) when we made the presentation but it was well received.

Okay… your timing on asking that question is perfect! We just returned from lunch with two waiters off a ship currently docked in Miami. We met them a restaurant to buy them lunch as a little Christmas “thank you” since we have cruised with them in the past. During the course of the lunch one of the waiters lamented that the cruise just ended was very “rough”…. Asking for clarification the response was…. On first seating I had a group of 19 and only 6 paid the gratuity. On second seating I had a group of 10 children with 8 adults…. Gratuity was give only for the adults… and the children were much more time consuming…. I believe the truth was spoken, since there was no value for this person to lie. The second waiter agreed that many people don't show up the last evening to avoid the gratuity and many simply come... but do not present one.

Since you asked.......

Carnival used to close their lido restuarant the last night just becuase of this-now they charge automatic tipping. Most lines have went to the automatic tipping and I imagine this is very much the reason why-stiffers.

People can still stiff-but they must go to the purser's desk and have this charge removed. A few jerks will do this but most jerks do not want it known they are jerks so they won't.

Im not really surprised that people stiff the servers in the dining room, some people are just really cheap. Im amazed because I am a server and there are lots of times when I work really hard for people and they give you next to nothing! Cruisegoers have to remember that this is the way these people make a living, just like me. :)

Im not really surprised that people stiff the servers in the dining room, some people are just really cheap. Im amazed because I am a server and there are lots of times when I work really hard for people and they give you next to nothing! Cruisegoers have to remember that this is the way these people make a living, just like me. :)

I see you are from Texas- awhile back I read a post that said it Texas you only needed to tip 10%-that that was all that was expected. another person form NJ said they would remember that next time they were in Texas. That sounded pretty low to me and my guess is that person has never worked in food service.

I posted I live in Georgia and I always tip 20% for good service, if it was not so good 15% and I would only tip 10% if the server was awful ( and I MEAN the server not if the food was not cooked correctly since the server has nothing to do with that.)

But if the server keeps my drink poured yes I tip 20% if I have to ask them for more coffee/tea more then once, or if they make me wait 10 minutes or longer after asking-yes they get 15%, if they never fill my glass after I asked several times-yes then they get 10% and they better be glad they got that.

It happened our last night of the cruise with the Mariner. We were late seating and one of the tables of 8 our waiter was serving all week during main seating never showed...poor guy was heart broken and it was noticeable. DW and I added a little extra just to take care of him.

• 2 weeks later...

These automatic tips kinda pee me off a little....i might just be old fashioned but if someone dose a good job for me i like to personally hand them the tip they deserve and shake their hand(i tried to give our table waitress a cash tip last year she said she could not accept i had to do it through the desk to increase)...and if the person dose a poor job i want them to know on the spot that they screwed up and were not getting a tip ( another example i ordered a drink in the theater last year took 20 min to bring it to me told him i wanted the tip to be remover again was told i had to dispute the charge at the desk)...i know why they do it because people do stiff these folks all the time but it just seem so impersonal plus what is the motivation for these workers to go above and beyond they all just figure they are going to get the tip anyways like one said even if it was justified you would feel like an @$$ going up to decrease any tip

• 3 weeks later...
These automatic tips kinda pee me off a little....i might just be old fashioned but if someone dose a good job for me i like to personally hand them the tip they deserve and shake their hand(i tried to give our table waitress a cash tip last year she said she could not accept i had to do it through the desk to increase)...and if the person dose a poor job i want them to know on the spot that they screwed up and were not getting a tip ( another example i ordered a drink in the theater last year took 20 min to bring it to me told him i wanted the tip to be remover again was told i had to dispute the charge at the desk)...i know why they do it because people do stiff these folks all the time but it just seem so impersonal plus what is the motivation for these workers to go above and beyond they all just figure they are going to get the tip anyways like one said even if it was justified you would feel like an @$$ going up to decrease any tip

I have to agree. For some people it's a year or two of saving their hard earned money as well. We all don't make 100K a year. If members want to call other members cheap maybe they should come and live your life !!!

I have to agree. For some people it's a year or two of saving their hard earned money as well. We all don't make 100K a year. If members want to call other members cheap maybe they should come and live your life !!!

Well said. We've worked really hard, saved and done without other luxuries to finance our forthcoming cruise but we are most certainly not cheapskates, thank you! We've also paid much, much more than our US friends through making our booking in the UK. :(

In England, if a service charge is included then no extra tipping is expected. If not then 10% is the norm, but it is optional depending on the quality of the service received.

We are fully aware that tipping is expected during our cruise, (when in Rome etc) and have budgetted for this, but there is no way that I am prepared to tip for poor service, no matter where in the world I am.

Carol

Well said. We've worked really hard, saved and done without other luxuries to finance our forthcoming cruise but we are most certainly not cheapskates, thank you! We've also paid much, much more than our US friends through making our booking in the UK. :(

In England, if a service charge is included then no extra tipping is expected. If not then 10% is the norm, but it is optional depending on the quality of the service received.

We are fully aware that tipping is expected during our cruise, (when in Rome etc) and have budgetted for this, but there is no way that I am prepared to tip for poor service, no matter where in the world I am.

Carol

Thanks Carol. We are a single family income and have NEVER had a vacation. We didn't even have a honeymoon. I wish people would

think about their comments before posting. We are not going to "stiff"

cruise staff either. I would like to tip staff who gave me great service.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise, I won't be your last, even if you have a wait a few years to take another. Our last cruise, there was only 1 other couple that eat with us at a table for 8. The others were No shows the whole week. Our biggest peve was the late comers to the tables. Be on time. Hopefully you get a great wait staff they can make or break a medocre menu. You only have to ask. Try new things.

So, I am confused here. My upcoming cruise (7 days in Alaska) is only my second cruise and I am auto tipping (I find it easier). The first cruise was a 3 day about 15 years ago. Are we expected to give out tips on the last night? If you don't, are you considered some kind of pariah for not tipping at the last dinner?

Now that they charge the 10.00 pp/per day thing, the cruise lines have made it optional to wether or not you need to leave an additional tip and no one should be made to feel guilty one way or another.

I agree that some really earn the extra tips. I at least can tip that person what I feel is appropriate.

We tip very well in general and the only thing that really gets me is the automatic15% gratuity that is included with the overpriced drinks. But that’s another argument altogether I guess.

• 1 month later...

I don't see a problem with tipping automatically at the end of the trip on the credit card.

Some nights I don't feel like getting dressed up and feeling overstuffed because I ate for 2 hours straight. Sometimes I rather be running around the ship than at the dinner table. I didn't think anyone cared! Now going the the boards I am more aware of the cruise culture.

Still I tipped everyone appropriately even I only went to formal dinner one time. Casual dining is fine for me too some nights.

Hmmm, interesting, I never even thought of that but I think this might happen more on the short 3-5 day cruises than the 7 day cruises. Personally it is very rude and inconsiderate and even if I received poor service I would still tip.......and then write a letter to the line explaining the situation. We have spoken to several waiters who told us that they can tell right off the bat who will tip and who doesnt....I guess they just know.

The 10.00 pp/per day does NOT "just get divided up" among the crew. Far more complicated. It covers the cost of crew salaries, flights home, etc.etc..at the end little is realized as "extra money" for them. The cruise industry gets away with this and lack of maritime laws by saying "it's for the convenience of the passenger".

So who's needs are being met here?

My ex worked for NCL..he used to bring home several hundered a month in tips before they changed the policy. Now it's more like 20.00 so people, please don't be cheapskates and tip accordingly. If you ask a crew member this, they will deny it as they are also under scrutiny to "not tell the secrets" so as to spoil the dream of the passenger's perfect vacation. It's very sad, but true.

Now that they charge the 10.00 pp/per day thing, the cruise lines have made it optional to wether or not you need to leave an additional tip and no one should be made to feel guilty one way or another.

I agree that some really earn the extra tips. I at least can tip that person what I feel is appropriate.

We tip very well in general and the only thing that really gets me is the automatic15% gratuity that is included with the overpriced drinks. But that’s another argument altogether I guess.

We like to dine in the specialty restaurant on our last night onboard. We always visit the dining room on the way to dinner to give the wait staff their tips in person, thank them, share hugs, take pics, etc. It's hard to believe that folks spend all that $$ for a cruise vacation and go out of their way to not tip, but I know it happens....

Ditto for us - we always try to book the specialty restaurant on the last night as a memorable "send off." We just tip on the night before... would never skimp on the tip, especially when there's great service!

Archived