Do people not goto the dining room on the last night because they don't want tip?

awinner

I don't normally tip the Maitre D, either.

However, on my last cruise, we were scheduled for late seating and wanted early. Early was full, and the MD found a temp table for us the first night and made sure we had a good table from then on, after an early group transferred to late.

That's what tipping him is for--extra service.

I enjoy the convenience of automatic tipping; it's one less thing to worry about, and who needs to pack a suitable amount of small change or stand in line to get change? (And I'm sure the ATM has an additional charge.)

As for the cultural issues of pre-tipping... may I ask why some people here think the guest should have to learn this? It's nice if we do investigate the issue, such as through this thread, but let's look at a comparison:

::The service staff comes from dozens of countries with different cultural interpretations of tips. The guests come primarily from one nation, or nations with similar cultures.

::The service staff receives training on how to serve guests. The guests don't receive training on what to do on a cruise.

Given this, the staff should be taught that pre-tipping is not an insult.

And the passengers should be taught what to do and behave on a cruise as well! The crew are not receiving copious amounts of money by the auto tipping..next to nothing at all..as the majority of the "convenience pre tipping" dubbed by the cruise line offsets the cost of the crew..they just dub it that way to make it sound like it's better for the passenger when it's a cost cutting measure for the ship.

I enjoy the convenience of automatic tipping; it's one less thing to worry about, and who needs to pack a suitable amount of small change or stand in line to get change? (And I'm sure the ATM has an additional charge.)

As for the cultural issues of pre-tipping... may I ask why some people here think the guest should have to learn this? It's nice if we do investigate the issue, such as through this thread, but let's look at a comparison:

::The service staff comes from dozens of countries with different cultural interpretations of tips. The guests come primarily from one nation, or nations with similar cultures.

::The service staff receives training on how to serve guests. The guests don't receive training on what to do on a cruise.

Given this, the staff should be taught that pre-tipping is not an insult.

So, I am confused here. My upcoming cruise (7 days in Alaska) is only my second cruise and I am auto tipping (I find it easier). The first cruise was a 3 day about 15 years ago. Are we expected to give out tips on the last night? If you don't, are you considered some kind of pariah for not tipping at the last dinner?

And I thought it was just we Brits who got into a flap about tipping. I personally think it is a perfectly iniquitous way of paying someone for a job, making them rely on the generosity or guilt of the customer. But that’s the system and we have to bear with it. We all know that the tip is part of the wages, all cruise lines I’ve been on suggest a minimum amount. If the service is so bad that you don’t wish to give this minimum then you should complain as he/she is not doing their job. I like to tip personally but the automatic method is convenient and I don’t feel the least bit awkward about leaving the table on the last night without giving an envelope. For extra service I give personally and I tell the person that I have paid the gratuity in the hotel bill and that this extra is for them. I heard just recently on the QM2 that even if you ask for the automatic charge to be removed and give to the individuals then they have to turn in this money and if they are caught keeping it back then they are fired.

My philosophy is this, if you tip be as generous as you can and give graciously not grudgingly. If you don’t tip for whatever reason, then have the courage of your convictions and just walk away from it without making a lot of pathetic excuses.

(As a callow youth, on my first trip to the US, I walked out of a New York diner without leaving a tip. I was followed onto the pavement of 7th Ave by a screaming waitress. My Spanish is not good but I remember the words 'madre' and 'puta' seemed to occur a lot. I bear the mental scars to this day.)

Garigoun

As a dining room regular..

Here's my opinion on last night tipping...

It looks really bad when the Dining room is lighter that night and gives the impression that people are stiffing the waiters you know some will. I personally don't see ANY reason why you would avoid the dining waiters that have served you throught the week and give a last chance to say goodbye to them and your tablemates. Enjoy a last dinner and hand them them their envelopes in person it's common courtesy... all of you in your party not just DH so you can skip out.

Specialty Restaurants.. doesn't fly you had other nights to do it and give your extra $$$ to the cruiseline. Plus by using them you are just encouraging many more future Pay for exclusive opportunities.

Packing...please! You still have to eat dinner.

Pre-tipping simply doesn't exclude common decency. IMO.

And you all wonder why food and service decline each year...

look in the mirror.

• 2 weeks later...
There have been many times I have been on ships, when the last night in the dining room , it seems rather light...I wonder how many people actually stiff the staff because they feel they will never see them again.:confused:

thats lame

My family and I always make sure we go on the last day to the dining room - the waiters are always so helpful and so accomodating - its almost part of our ritual as a finishing touch to thank waiters, tip them and that will preset our future trips to be as amazing!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I use to believe this but with auto tipping, now I'm not so sure......

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

As a dining room regular..

Here's my opinion on last night tipping...

It looks really bad when the Dining room is lighter that night and gives the impression that people are stiffing the waiters you know some will. I personally don't see ANY reason why you would avoid the dining waiters that have served you throught the week and give a last chance to say goodbye to them and your tablemates. Enjoy a last dinner and hand them them their envelopes in person it's common courtesy... all of you in your party not just DH so you can skip out.

Specialty Restaurants.. doesn't fly you had other nights to do it and give your extra $$$ to the cruiseline. Plus by using them you are just encouraging many more future Pay for exclusive opportunities.

Packing...please! You still have to eat dinner.

Pre-tipping simply doesn't exclude common decency. IMO.

And you all wonder why food and service decline each year...

look in the mirror.

YOU PRESUME alot. We could not get a reservtion for the specality resturant except for the last night of the cruise. As our reservation was 7pm and our normal dinner time-6:15-we were able to go to the dinningroom hand our waiters their envelopes and tell our tablemates goodby.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting subject and very useful for first time cruisers such as ourselves from the UK. We're going to be sailing in October and our tips are "auto paid". Now you all know that the "tipping" culure is very different in the Uk so no need for me to go into that but I will say that I have NEVER tipped poor service, that's my choice and I make no apologies for it. When I visit your lovely country I always follow the rules and culture to the best of my ability as I would expect you to do the same in mine :). This forum has raised one or two questions for me, so, if you can help out I would be most grateful.

1) Am I correct in understanding that besides the auto tip it is the "done thing" to tip the restaurant and cabin staff extra on the last day?

2) Am I also correct in understanding that additional tips for bar staff are not necessary as there is a 15% charge added for each drink? As we are not big drinkers and generally have soda's is this still the case? I'm not nit picking here but as explained previously, we like to get things right.

3) Finally, (I know you're thinking thank God) other than any little extra gestures a member of the crew may wish to do for us (and so be obviously tipped) is there anyone else that I should keep in mind or is customary?

Ok, I'm finished now

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Archived