Underwater housing

SheilaNC

I'm really interested in an underwater housing for my new Canon SD 870 to take on our cruise which stops in French Polynesia. Obviously, would love to take shots when we snorkel there for the first time. The regular Canon housing costs about $165 but I just came across this one http://www.accessorygeeks.com/dicapac-waterproof-cases.html?selectBrand=Canon&selectModel=null and wonder if anyone knows anything about the quality of the case and of pictures taken using on. The price is compelling but not if it would not adequately protect my camera :)

Sheila,

I have looked high and low and finally just decided to buy the housing for my SD800 from Canon.

They are rated to way deeper than I will ever take it and allow full access to the controls. It has a flash diffuser and above all, it's made for my camera!

Buy the best and cry once, eh?

I know that this didn't answer your question, but I thought I'd explain my surrender!;)

Dave

Thanks, Dave...I've been struggling with the same decision. So far, I haven't been able to convince myself that the price is worth it....but there's still 50 days to go and, who knows what I'll be thinking after paying bills for the holiday season. Thanks, as always, for your considered opinion. Happy Holidays to you and your family - looking forward to new holiday pix!

If I were buying again (I have a three year old case) here is what I'd do:

1. Consider buying an Olympus SW 770 (the model that is Ok to 10 meters deep, or if concerned about cost:

2. Look on eBay for an underwater housing in new or like new condition for a camera a few years old. More than a few mega-pixels won't make a difference and it will definitely be more Continent to have a second camera for underwater. Look for something for a smaller Minolta (dimage), canon or such for around $40 or $50, you then can likely buy the camera used for another $50 on eBay. Result is for around $100 you'll have a decent underwater set and won't need to take your better camera into the deep or have it in a case. Might take some looking but I've seen such deals from time to time.

Personally I would never buy a pac like that. I've heard too many horror stories. It makes me too nervous. I would pay the money for the housing if I were you... I have one for my Olympus Stylus 600 and I used snorkeling, diving and without the case on land.... Works great.

Thanks, Larry and Debbie....appreciate your opinions. Still mulling it over but will let you know what I decide.

Tick, tock Sheila...tick, tock! :D

Here's an option: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Olympus-Stylus-725-7.1MP-Blue-Digital-Camera/2520345/product.html

I keep waffling...

I may end up buying another SD800 and the housing so I can share batteries and memory.

Too darn many options!

Dave

Thanks, Dave...just keep me confused. I'm getting close to thinking the Canon Housing for the 870 is the way to go. DH (who spends more readily than me :)) says 'do it'. I'm just having a hard time making the decision when I'm not convinced I'll use it enough to warrant the purchase....but who knows if we'll ever get to the So Pacific again. Decisions, Decisions....

I'm not convinced I'll use it enough to warrant the purchase....but who knows if we'll ever get to the So Pacific again. Decisions, Decisions....

I'll second the "do it!"

You can use it snorkeling, rafting. hiking (dust and drops), when it's raining, in high humidity....is that enough?

Heck, I convinced myself and ordered my SD800 housing!

One less decision before we go!

Dave

If the money isn't a major issue for you I'd say just go for the proper housing. I have more underwater fish pictures than I need, but I love taking them. For some reason it's one of the things I really enjoy on a cruise - so while for economic utility it was hard justifying my underwater case - I've gotten enough enjoyment out of it over the past three years that it was a good decision. Think of all the money you'll spend on your cruise vacation (or the next few of them) and if this really adds to your enjoyment then it is worth it to spend a very small percentage of that budget on the case. I actually lost my original case and was lucky enough to buy a replacement on eBay for $40 unused and with all instructions and original materials. That is where my idea of hunting for a case for a camera a few years old came from.

Oh - and the Olympus 725 - I'd stay away from any underwater camera that isn't rated to a minimum of 10 meters, and preferably more. The ones that only go shallow are probably great for taking to the beach, and OK for snorkeling if you NEVER dive down at all. But if you dive down a little at all then 5 meters (16 feet) doesn't leave enough cushion for me. All these are based on O ring seals, and the water is generating a lot of pressure and trying to squeeze through that seal.

Archived