To what level do you plan your vacation?

In my eyes you are just fine. ;)

I have an expanding file that I bring along with me on each cruise with maps, coupons, and all documents in order of when I will need them. I also have copies of important emails that pertain to the cruise .. TA and excursions.

I am an over planner too!! I have a folder with all of my schedules, tickets, everything I need. I started packing a few weeks ago and we still have 16 days to go!!!! We have 7 people in our group (4 kids), so I have to plan everything out.

Sometimes things don't go as planned though...2 days ago my youngest 9 year old (I have twins), got a cast on his foot for some foot problems. So our first excursion is kind of messed up (for him and I, at least). Everyone else is going but we are staying behind:( Not in the schedule...

If this is what makes you happy, go for it! If we're in a place that we really want to explore, a plan of action is good! (Aside from beaches, we really don't care about the history of any of the islands! They're all about the same!)

So, basically, on a cruise, it's whatever "floats your boat"!!!

So our first excursion is kind of messed up (for him and I, at least). Everyone else is going but we are staying behind Not in the schedule...

I am sorry to hear about your sons foot. Did you check to see if the excursion has a spectator price? Depending on what you are doing some places let others go and just watch, not participate.

I am an over planner too!! I have a folder with all of my schedules, tickets, everything I need. I started packing a few weeks ago and we still have 16 days to go!!!! We have 7 people in our group (4 kids), so I have to plan everything out.

Sometimes things don't go as planned though...2 days ago my youngest 9 year old (I have twins), got a cast on his foot for some foot problems. So our first excursion is kind of messed up (for him and I, at least). Everyone else is going but we are staying behind:( Not in the schedule...

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened. And right before the holidays too!

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

That is exactly what I do also. And for most ports come up with alternative plans, incase something unforseen happens. Once in Grand Cayman, the water was too rough for the stingray excursion, so had plan B. this last weekend, a combination when we got back to Port Canaveral of late docking, my wife wrenching her knee and the cool temps, changed all plans down to plan c. But it was all covered.

So keep planning.

A lot of research and pre-planning... we have a 4 port cruise coming up and we have two snorkeling trips planned out. I do a ton on planning, but once I am on the cruise I let go and relax, and let it flow where it will... I believe in being as prepared as possible, as the more I know about my options ahead of time the better choices I will make when I am there.

I always plan ahead, pretty much to the degree you have described, just because all the planning makes waiting for the cruise that much more fun.

My plans are never set in stone, though. If another interesting opportunity presents itself, or if we simply don't "feel" like doing whatever I've planned, we'll just wing it. Completely eliminating the option to be spontaneous does take a little fun out of it, in my opinion.

For DH and I, planning is part of the cruise experience. I too bring a 3 ring binder with info on ports of call, coupons, receipts, deck plans, magnetic door sign etc.

While on the cruise, this is where I keep a copy of the cruise compass and a menu from the specialty restaurant we ate at. We also place our final bill from the cruise in there...we love going back and looking/laughing at our alcohol consumption:D . Upon arriving home, we have a wonderful momento.

Plan away!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Check with your excursion. Last time we were on the NOS, I had broken wrist the week before. I booked river tubing in Jamica with a private company. I called and told them what happened. They said that while my family was on tubing the tour, I would get a private tour around the island. It was amazing. I had almost as much fun as them family did. I also walked up the dry side of Dunn's River Falls. It was fun to take pictures of the family climbing.

Check with your excursion company maybe the can accomodate you someway. Doesn't hurt asking. Have great time.

Archived