What NOT to pack

xcluex

So, we are starting the packing list for our much anticipated cruise - only what 22 days to go:D. We've scoured the the site for all the helpful "didn't think of that" items to pack, but have wondered how many have found duct tape, bungee cords, power strip, and the like have been useful.

As always, I'll probably pack too many clothes and too many shoes - I'm hoping for just 3-4 pairs of shoes but history has proven me wrong - how many do seasoned cruisers pack and for what (1 pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair of comfortable sandals, and 2 dressy for formal nights is what I have)?

Finally, we have our own snorkel gear and floaty thingees that take up a lot of space; I'm torn between knowing that our own gear will have only our germs, and the space that all this stuff takes.

Only 22 days and you have not started packing yet? :eek:

By now we would have packed & unpacked about twice.:D

As far as what & not to take...... Well sometimes you just have to live & learn. We have always taken duct tape but only used it once. Never used bungee cords, or a power strip though, although we still take them. :confused:

I agree though the snorkel gear would definitely take up extra space.

yeah i try to pack clothes that i can wear more than once, like some black capris , you can change the shirt but wear the capris more than one time,

as far as shoes, i usually bring one pair of tennis shoes, 1 dressy show and 1 sandal, i usually wear the most bulkiest shoes on the cruise so they dont have to be packed, like the tennis shoes,

same with the suit for my husband i pack him one suit and 2 different shirts and ties for a 7 day cruise,

and we use a garment bag for formal dress , suit and alot of shirts, we fit alot of stuff in it,

that saves room in the suitcase.

We don't take the duct tape(figure I can find some to borrow if needed), bunge cord (never needed), or power strip (we leave most of our electronics at home so we have no problem plugging in what we need when we need to) and have always been just fine. I do always manage to take 4 pair of shoes: tennis-good walking shoes, comfortable sandals, one formal dressy, and one other good pair. I'm getting better at taking less clothes and hope to keep improving on that ;)

Can't help much on snorkel gear or floaty things as we don't own them, but I guess I'd take if I ended up with enough room and leave home if space was a problem and just take disinfective wipes and rent the gear when on the islands.

About snorkel gear...

My husband never takes his snorkel gear when we fly. I am a total germ freak so if I have to leave some things at home, it would be shoes and not my own mask and snorkel!!! Those don't take up nearly as much room as fins (or shoes). I guess I'm not as picky about feet as I am about someone else's spit on my mask and snorkel. Ewwwww.

Forget the power strip, bungee cord, never used them.

Don't forget flip flops, I live in them on the ship - I wear them as slippers in the cabin, (never know what's been on that carpet) I wear them on deck, to the buffet on the Lido etc.

"Things" I am always REALLY glad I have... a few clothespins, battery alarm clock and my mini pharmacy!

Have a great cruise!!

Jan

So, we are starting the packing list for our much anticipated cruise - only what 22 days to go:D. We've scoured the the site for all the helpful "didn't think of that" items to pack, but have wondered how many have found duct tape, bungee cords, power strip, and the like have been useful.

As always, I'll probably pack too many clothes and too many shoes - I'm hoping for just 3-4 pairs of shoes but history has proven me wrong - how many do seasoned cruisers pack and for what (1 pair of tennis shoes, 1 pair of comfortable sandals, and 2 dressy for formal nights is what I have)?

Finally, we have our own snorkel gear and floaty thingees that take up a lot of space; I'm torn between knowing that our own gear will have only our germs, and the space that all this stuff takes.

We take duct tape and last cruise, my daughters suitcase split while the handlers where moving it and it came in VERY handy. We took bungee cords but find that if we want out on the balcony, we just go out and the power strip we do use. I usually take about 5 pairs of shoes. A good pair of tennis shoes, comfortable sandals, water shoes, & 2 pairs of dress shoes that can match anything. We still love taking big covered cups we can fill up and take to the cabin at night because we drink a lot at night.

What I REMOVED from my recent list. I'm not taking beach towels. I'll fight with those trying to take my Carnival towels....lol. I'm also not taking the "extra" backpack for things I buy or any type of extra purses to "match" things I wear, yada yada....We no longer take the snorkel equipment just because it is bulky and although I've only cruised twice, we've travelled alot and I've never gotten sick and we love to snorkel. I take santi-wipes and wipe ours down beforehand. We take 1 sun tan lotion, not 3 different strengths, we tuck little things into shoes, etc. I could go on forever! lolol

Only 22 days and you have not started packing yet? :eek:

By now we would have packed & unpacked about twice.:D

As far as what & not to take...... Well sometimes you just have to live & learn. We have always taken duct tape but only used it once. Never used bungee cords, or a power strip though, although we still take them. :confused:

I agree though the snorkel gear would definitely take up extra space.

Ok, sorry, I gotta tease you on this one. You are a guy right? You pack way ahead of time? I packed the night before our 7 day cruise. I threw warm weather clothes in my bag and I was packed 2 hours later. I will admit that I made a list of a few things I knew that would be very helpful (1-2way radios, 2-surge protector, etc,,,) but I didn't pack those until the night before also. You're a guy and you pack earlier than the night before leaving? Man.:p :D

WHAT NOT TO PACK

1. Beach towel. the ship supplies clean fresh ones daily.

2. too many shoes. A dress pair, (Black good for anything.) tennis shoes(or what is comfortable for you), and slippers (mossican type to wear on the ship)

3. More than 2 dressey dresses. More than 1 suit for men.

4. more soda than you normally drink at home. Pack in a hard suitcase or get bottles and send on with checked luggage.

5. A robe if you have an ocean view cabin.

WHAT TO TAKE

1. Air freshener for the room, spray or flameless candle by glade.

2. CLOCK WITH ALARM.

3. fanny pack (leave the purse at home)

4. plenty of camera cards or disposable cameras. I take 6 sd cards usually use 2. and plenty of disc for your video camera.

5. sunscreen and aloe incase you get burned

6. mesh laundry bags (aviable at walmart, walgreens, etc) walgreens is 2/5$ though.

7. A night light.

Thanks to all, will probably bring the power strip, not the bungee cords, and still on the fence about the snorkel gear.

Note: my fiance, who started this thread, brought about 16 pairs of shoes on the last cruise. They required their own suitcase. And she complains about our snorkel gear!!! :p

And to my dear fiance who revealed my unfortunate shoe packing habit to all, you are at the top of my list of what not to bring:p.

Note: my fiance, who started this thread, brought about 16 pairs of shoes on the last cruise. They required t heir own suitcase. And she complains about our snorkel gear!!! :p

16 pairs of shoes? How can someone use even half those shoes in 7 to 8 days. My DW packed 3 pairs of shoes. Maybe that's one reason why I married her...or maybe its because she'll watch sportcenter and baseball tonight with me.:D

WHAT NOT TO PACK

1. Beach towel. the ship supplies clean fresh ones daily.

2. too many shoes. A dress pair, (Black good for anything.) tennis shoes(or what is comfortable for you), and slippers (mossican type to wear on the ship)

3. More than 2 dressey dresses. More than 1 suit for men.

4. more soda than you normally drink at home. Pack in a hard suitcase or get bottles and send on with checked luggage.

5. A robe if you have an ocean view cabin.

WHAT TO TAKE

1. Air freshener for the room, spray or flameless candle by glade.

2. CLOCK WITH ALARM.

3. fanny pack (leave the purse at home)

4. plenty of camera cards or disposable cameras. I take 6 sd cards usually use 2. and plenty of disc for your video camera.

5. sunscreen and aloe incase you get burned

6. mesh laundry bags (aviable at walmart, walgreens, etc) walgreens is 2/5$ though.

7. A night light.

We didn't find the air freshener needed at all

The clock wasn't needed.....the phone in the room worked fine for alarm

Aloe is a must

Night light isn't necessary unless you're in an inside cabin

If you're gonna go commando, ya better pack those grenades.:eek: LOL Just kidding!

I find that I don't need a nitelight, just leave the light on in the bathroom and crack the door, it is plenty of light if you need to get up in the night. And what does anyone need with an alarm clock? You can get a wakeup call so you don't miss and excursion, otherwise I just sleep until I wake up. I'm on vacation, and sleeping is my favorite hobby.;)

Ok, sorry, I gotta tease you on this one. You are a guy right? You pack way ahead of time? I packed the night before our 7 day cruise. I threw warm weather clothes in my bag and I was packed 2 hours later. I will admit that I made a list of a few things I knew that would be very helpful (1-2way radios, 2-surge protector, etc,,,) but I didn't pack those until the night before also. You're a guy and you pack earlier than the night before leaving? Man.:p :D

:cool: :cool: I am a woman with a husband and 22 and 20 year old children - they all pack their own stuff. I pack the night before, I cannot afford to buy just for a cruise, so I just go 7 or 8 days worth of outfits from top to bottom, runners (I wear on the flight), sandals, one pair of dress shoes and flip flops for pool and room. I have a small suitcase that all of our toiletries etc go into. If we forget something, don't sweat it, buy it and remember for next time. Only must on my list is Aloe gel, sun cream and Sambuca. Happy cruising. Cindy:cool:

Archived