Approach to Packing

RMVET

Our cruise goes into two different seasons, and packing warm and cool clothing but not overpack is getting harder and harder. One method that I've come up with is to get one of those free-standing aluminum clothes hanging racks. I've started hanging all of the clothes that I plan to take on it and have placed accessories nearby. Seeing it visually hanging there shows me how much I am taking, what may not be essential, what doesn't coordinate with anything else, what needs a pair of shoes that I may only wear once or twice, what's a duplicate, etc.

Trying to do this in my closet wasn't working real well, neither was putting them on a spare bed. Once I get my clothes sorted out, then DH will do his. I told him that if he doesn't want me a nervous wreck that he has to be essentially packed two days before we leave. Anyone have hints about how you get your clothes organized for a cruise?

On a different note, as recommended by several other posters, I got a pair of pop-up clothes hampers. They are perfect. Found them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $14.99 for two (one black and one white). Only about the size of a lunch plate and about an inch thick, they won't take up much room in my case, and when opened will be perfect for carrying clothes back and forth to the laundry room. Thanks to all who recommended them.

I've used a rolling garment rack to pack from for years now, it works great for me. I have it in the living room, that way I'm not tempted to add extra uneeded clothing. Plus, I put all accessories with each outfit, that way I know I'm not forgetting anything, nor am I packing extras that have already been packed.

I've never taken along a hamper of any kind, though. I think of things like that as extra "stuff" that is not really needed. My clothing gets hung up back onto hangers even if they are dirty, we just throw the dirty underwear on the floor of the closet and either have it laundered (mine by hand, his sent out) ever couple of days. I've only had the occasion to do laundry a couple of times when vacationing and I've used my pareo (sarong) to carry clothes to and from the laundry room.

I like to pack exactly the same way for the return trip as I have on the outbound direction. That way I know everything will fit precisely back into our cases.

I've used a rolling garment rack to pack from for years now, it works great for me. I have it in the living room, that way I'm not tempted to add extra uneeded clothing. Plus, I put all accessories with each outfit, that way I know I'm not forgetting anything, nor am I packing extras that have already been packed.

I've never taken along a hamper of any kind, though. I think of things like that as extra "stuff" that is not really needed. My clothing gets hung up back onto hangers even if they are dirty, we just throw the dirty underwear on the floor of the closet and either have it laundered (mine by hand, his sent out) ever couple of days. I've only had the occasion to do laundry a couple of times when vacationing and I've used my pareo (sarong) to carry clothes to and from the laundry room.

I like to pack exactly the same way for the return trip as I have on the outbound direction. That way I know everything will fit precisely back into our cases.

For shorter voyages, I probably wouldn't bother with a hamper. But the hampers appealed to us since we are going to be gone for three months, and we will be doing quite a bit of laundry on the ship during that time.

I use an Excel spreadsheet and list all tops, all bottoms, all jackets, and all shoes, to plan what will be mixed and matched with which other items. I have a column for jewellery and one for lingerie, also for miscellaneous [bathing suits, scarves, etc.]. I keep it on the computer till it is finalized, then print it, and highlight the item with a highlighter as I pack the item. Sometimes when I am in the packing process, I end up removing some of the items as I see things that will not be used enough on the trip.

Like you, I too try to put the items in 1 location so I can see how things will look together.

Archived