Confusing Signs on the Grandeur

I was on the Grandeur in June and found the directional signs on the passenger cabin decks reversed - the Port side was labeled Starboard and the Starboard side was labeled Port. I spent the first few days of my cruise confused about which side was which when I came down some stairs to my deck, until I picked out a piece of artwork on my side.

I complained to RCCL, and they responded, in essence, that I just didn't understand the signs. They told me that the words "Cabins 7514-7656" meant that those cabins were on this side of the ship (actually the Starboard side) and that the next words "Cabins 7014-7156 Port Side" meant that those cabins were on the Port side of the ship.

To me, it looks like I am headed toward cabins 7514-7656 and 7014-7156 and the Port Side.

On a subsequent cruise, I brought home a photo of one the signs. What would you think?:

1590762239_cruise233c.jpg.1e58c1e65b9684ab8daa7b356be755e7.jpg

I'll make you fee at home. I am the happy idiot and would of followed the arrow for all the cabins too! :o

Although, now, I see what they meant. This way for these other side for those.

Heck, I'm still not seasoned enough to what is port side. I only know by which side smoking is allowed on. Then I know where I am!!! :D BTW-what is the smoking side :confused:

I was on the Grandeur in June and found the directional signs on the passenger cabin decks reversed - the Port side was labeled Starboard and the Starboard side was labeled Port. I spent the first few days of my cruise confused about which side was which when I came down some stairs to my deck, until I picked out a piece of artwork on my side.

I complained to RCCL, and they responded, in essence, that I just didn't understand the signs. They told me that the words "Cabins 7514-7656" meant that those cabins were on this side of the ship (actually the Starboard side) and that the next words "Cabins 7014-7156 Port Side" meant that those cabins were on the Port side of the ship.

To me, it looks like I am headed toward cabins 7514-7656 and 7014-7156 and the Port Side.

On a subsequent cruise, I brought home a photo of one the signs. What would you think?:

Actually I would have understood the sign the exact way as RCCL described it. The cabins 7614-7656 are ahead and the 7014-7156 are on the other side of the ship.

Personally I understood it right the first time I saw it and that was before I read the gist of your confusion.

However it is open to misinterpretation and I'm sure you're not the only only to be confused by it.

I don't remember seeing any of those type signs on the Voyager and Freedom ships I'm familiar with. I've only seen the room numbers. It's fun when I get off the elevator and forget which side of ship our room is on which is almost always. I have a great sense of direction on land but on a ship I'm totally confused.

I'll make you fee at home. I am the happy idiot and would of followed the arrow for all the cabins too! :o

Although, now, I see what they meant. This way for these other side for those.

Heck, I'm still not seasoned enough to what is port side. I only know by which side smoking is allowed on. Then I know where I am!!! :D BTW-what is the smoking side :confused:

Port is the left side of the ship when facing the front of the ship, aka the bow for the terminology challenged.

One way to remember: Port has four letters, left has four letters. :)

Happy Cruising

That's what I'm not looking forward to on the ship - I have trouble with right vs. left, so trying to add other terms is gonna be really messy! :( I command my dog with "this way" (right, towards me) and "that way" (left, towards her) and get those mixed up, too. :p I did request an acclimation tour for the both of us, though, so hopefully RCCL will follow through with that. (They're normally for blind ppl, but, hey, it was offered on their sheet I was filling out where service dogs were only listed under accommodations for blind ppl [instead of also for other disabilities like mobility and hearing], so I took 'em up on it! [My dog learns which hotel room is ours.])

I was on the GOS last week and have two comments.

1. I saw a room service waiter trying to deliver a tray to someone. I was waiting for a forward elevator at the time. He went to port and looked down the hall. He went to starboard and looked down those halls. He went back to port and stood staring at the sign indicating which cabins were aft and which forward. When my elevator came, he was still standing there looking very perplexed.

2. On the last night right before the show there was a repeating slide presentation on the screens. One of them was about filling out the comment cards. At the end of the paragraph it said something like "We hope you have enjoyed your vacation on the Enchantment of the Seas."

Go figure.

I was on the GOS last week and have two comments.

1. I saw a room service waiter trying to deliver a tray to someone. I was waiting for a forward elevator at the time. He went to port and looked down the hall. He went to starboard and looked down those halls. He went back to port and stood staring at the sign indicating which cabins were aft and which forward. When my elevator came, he was still standing there looking very perplexed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by the signs - even the crew can't figure them out. I think the signs were installed when the Grandeur was in drydock last April.

Imagine you are on the highway in Missouri and think you are headed for St Louis. You encounter a sign made by the same guy who made the signs for the Grandeur. Here's what you might see:

(Up Arrow)

Interstate 270

Interstate 435

Kansas City

Wouldn't you think you were headed for Kansas City?

If you look at the cabin markers on Grandeur, the "bow" of the ship on the marker is always pointing forward to the "ship's" bow. As long as you can orient yourself to forward and aft, then facing forward, port is left (each has 4 letters in addition to "no more port wine left"), and starboard is right.

Aha! I figured out a great way for me to remember "port side" - I just need to call it "Portie side", since "Portie" is the nickname for my service dog's breed and she is usually on my left, so it'll be the side she is on (when I'm facing the front of the ship)! :)

As for the other side - "starboard", I gather from the posts above - I got nothin'. But, I guess if it ain't on the Portie side, it's on the other side, so it is a good thing ships aren't octagons.

Archived