Atlantis Sub vs. Nautilus Semi-Sub, which is better?

spaghetti

we prefered the Atlantis. We did not feel confined and actually settled on the bottom of the sea! They turned off the engines and we started floating to the top. They were demonstrating the bouyancy off the sub. We had plenty of room to move from one side to the other. We went over 100 feet below!

...no question. You see more interesting sites (two shipwrecks) and it's a much better option all round. Definitely much better value for money.

One of the best things is Nautilus departs from Rackams' deck in the town and the sightseeing trip starts right there, Atlantis tender you out to their sites.

Submarine vs. Semi-Submersible in Cayman

Which is better to do in Cayman, the Atlantis submarine or the Nautilus semi-submersible?

Is there any claustraphobia with either of these?

Anyone have the contact info for the Nautilus? I googled it and got some reviews but no link. The reviews said you are 6 feet underwater and that is why you can also be on top of the sub as well. Is only 6 ft. underwater much different than snorkeling? Are there boats that will take you to the shipwreck and then you can snorkel near them or is this limited for safety concerns?

• 7 months later...

When you ask for a comparison of the "two different semi-subs, I'm assuming you mean comparing the semi-sub to the actual sub. I apologize ahead of time if I'm about to give you an answer to something that really wasn't your question:

I have done both, the semi-sub (Nautilus) and the Atlantis sub (100' dive). Though I enjoyed them both, if I had to choose which one to do again, it would be the semi-sub for a couple of reasons. First, the price is considerably lower, especially if you are paying for a whole family. Second, it was brighter (more sunlight) since you are closer to the surface, which I thought made viewing fish, coral and the shipwrecks better. You still get the underwater effect, which is awesome, especially for people who don't snorkel or scuba dive.

Diving in the Atlantis sub was fun and a good experience, my kids loved it. I'm glad we did it but I was just as happy (if not more so) with the semi-sub.

After doing some reading and visiting websites, I see now that there are 2 semi-subs in GC... the Atlantis Seaworld Explorer and the Nautilus. I'd also be interested to hear if there is much of a difference.

When we did the Nautilus we also got to snorkle off of it too. It was great, however I tucked my fingers in my vest. Those big fish are used to being hand fed by the Nautilus staff. I did not want any of the fish to nibble my fingers! The semi is fine for here since many wrecks and reefs are very shallow.

We have done the Atlantis submarine at Cozumel and St. Thomas. At Coz it was especially cool. I will not be scuba diving at that depth, but inside the sub I could safely be that deep underwater.

Sorry, no help, but we have the same question. On the Inspirations list of things to do, there are 2 semi-subs--Atlantis & the "Ultimate". The Atlantis is cheaper, but actually looks like it offers more--mentions the shipwreck & the reef, whereas the Ultimate doesn't, but mentions shopping. Has anyone done the "ultimate" tour? Is it the same as the Nautilus? TIA!

My wife and I did the "real" submarine in St Thomas a year or so ago and the Nautilus quite a while back in Cozumel (I don't think it's changed much) For the Money, the experience, the scenery and the pictures (ours came out just fine in the sub not so good in the nautilus) and no sign of claustrophobia.... our money is on the Atlantis submarine it's at this website (accept no substitutes:D )

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/index.cfm

Have a great cruise!

Andy

• 1 month later...
You could try to email them. I did about the other tour and was told it was for a certain cruise line only. Why is it even on there if only those cruisers can book it?? I'm not sure why they don't have prices listed either.

okay thanks, did that already... hopefully they will return my email.. if so, i'll post the info back on this thread.

:D

I also find it annoying when a website doesn't list prices, times, etc. Quick way to lose business, if you ask me. But... I emailed them to ask about prices. Here's their reply dated August 12, 2008:

1-hour Nautilus Undersea Tour will be going out at 11:00am from Rackam's Bar in Georgetown. The cost will be USD 39.00 for every adult and USD 19.00 for kids 3-12 yrs. of age.

The latest departure is at 1:00pm but this trip comes with snorkeling and it takes an hour and a half. It costs USD 45.00 for adults and USD 25.00 for kids.

Hey check out this site... It gave me a cheaper quote than any other I checked for the Atlantis semi-sub. I'm still trying to figure out which semi-sub tour to take, or if I even should. I have a 3 yr old and an 8 yr old and we're heading out next month. Let me know if you find out anything interesting. This is for the Grand Cayman Seaworld Explorer Semi-Submarine.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Cayman-Islands/Grand-Cayman-Seaworld-Explorer-Semi-Submarine/d31-3822SEMI

Archived