Surfing in Cozumel? & Dolphinaris vs. Dolphin Discovery?

spaghetti

We'll be in Cozumel next week and are wondering about the following:

Is there any place that is good to rent a board and go surfing?

If we want to swim with the dolphins, which would be the best choice: Dolphinaris OR Dolphin Discovery at Chakanaab?

I've been trying to get some firsthand info on Dolphinaris, too, but haven't had much luck. This is a very new facility, so I guess not many Cruise Critics have been there yet. If you find out anything, let me know!

As for surfing, I am NOT a surfer, but I wouldn't think the waves were high enough at Cozumel for surfing. I've never seen anybody attempting to surf there before.

A surf web site that has a listing for Cozumel...

While reading a number of other sites that popped up, sounds like the surfing opportunities are few and those that are there are on the dangerous side of the island with strong currents, undertows and rock beaches..

http://magicseaweed.com/Cozumel-Surf-Report/642/

A surf web site that has a listing for Cozumel...

While reading a number of other sites that popped up, sounds like the surfing opportunities are few and those that are there are on the dangerous side of the island with strong currents, undertows and rock beaches..

http://magicseaweed.com/Cozumel-Surf-Report/642/

That's pretty accurate assessment of the situation, with perhaps an exception of there being some very nice sand beaches there. There are waves large enough for surfing on the East side of the island, along with dangerous currents and no lifeguards.

Just thought we'd ask about the surfing, since we've heard that the area is so beautiful and the water is so clear there.

I appreciate the info., think we'll just stick with our California coastal surf spots and choose different activities on this trip.

So, if anybody has info. we can use for comparison on the 2 dolphin swim places, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I was in Cozumel earlier this month and did the Dolpinaris excursion through Carnival. From the research I did, I really wanted to go to the Dolphin Discovery, but they were booked the day I need, so I went with Dolphinaris. At Dolphinaris its OK, I guess I wasn't extremely satisfied with their service level. We paid $165 each, and I got way better service on an excursion the day before when I only paid $50. The experience itself was really cool. We were in with the dolphins for apprx. an hour, but we only really had one-on-one time with the dolphins three times. Once when we got to "shake hands" with the dolphin, then the dolphin gave us a kiss on the cheek, and the grand finale was riding belly-to-belly while holding on to the dolphin's fins for about 15 yards. (If you want photos of any of this, they are only $17 each and come in 8x10 only with a silly border only) From reading about Dolphin Discovery center, their "Royal Swim package" sounds much more exciting. I would just look at both of their websites and make the decision from there. My experience at Dolphinaris was awesome (I swam with dolphins!), but I think it could have been much better at the Dolphin Discovery. Hope this helps...

Well, we ended up booking the dolphins at Chanakaab Park instead of Dolphinaris. After looking at the website for Dolphinaris my daughter was very excited to go to this new park. After a discussion with hubby, we decided having a location with multiple options for the family would work better.

Since daughter was the only one swimming with the dolphins we paid the day rate and stayed at Chanakaab for swimming, snorkling and drinks in the sun.

We did pass Dolphinaris on the way to Chanakaab. I was unable to find the exact location from their website so I was surprised to see it on our way to Chanakaab - I had no idea it was so close to port.

Sorry I don't have a first hand accounting for you - I see though someone else has! ;)

Lastdon and Eemrald, thanks for your input. I think I'll stick with Chankanaab for now. Maybe Dolphinaris will improve in the future. For the same price when booked through Carnival, you get transportation and admission to Chankanaab, where you can choose from multiple activities, as Eemrald pointed out. Therefore, Chankanaab is a better deal. Thanks!! I can't wait to swim with the dolphins again! Last time at Chankanaab, we swam with the dolphin Mussah. She was awesome! :D

Spagetti,

I leave on the Norwegian Sun on 1/5/08 and will be in Cozumel on 1/9. I was just researching the same question you were. I'm already booked for the dolphin swim at Chankanaab through NCL, but I accedently stumbled on the website for Dolphinaris. It would be less money to do the swim at Dolphinaris, $119 vs. $155.

I'm anxious to hear about your experience upon your return.

Just got back from doing the dolphin swim through Dolphin Discovery. Absolutely amazing experience. I did the royal swim. Chankanaab is beautiful with a lot of opportunities to walk around, swim, snorkel. Free loungers under palapas, mayan ruins and botanical garden. Taxis were $20 round trip. I paid $139 for the royal swim booking through dolphindiscovery dot com. You can also book once at the park, however you might be disappointed if they're sold out.

10 minute movie on how to place your arms and legs etc. about 1 hour in the water with the dolphins, got to see the movie afterwords and buy pics. It cost me $90 to buy all the pics and the dvd of the experience.

Ate lunch at Chankanaab, chicken enchiladas with mole sauce and 2 delicious strawberry margaritas for only $18.

I would recommend Chankanaab only for the sheer amount of stuff to be done there in addition to the swim. You could easily spend all day there. Do the royal swim, it simply is a superior experience. Some people from my roll call were there, and they did the dolphin swim, and didn't get to do as much.

Don't know much about Dolphinaris, but from what I've heard/read they don't have as much at their location as Chankanaab has.

Archived