Safe to bring a child to Tulum?

Candibill

Going on a Carnival Western Carribean cruise Nov 04. Is it safe/acceptable to bring a 5 year old to Tulum? Never been there so I am not sure of the terrain

or if there are other safety issues for young kids. Anybody with any alternate suggestions of a good shore excursions for young kids? Is seeing Tulum worth it? This is our family's first cruise. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

Here's what you'll be dealing with - you decide. The tour buses stop some distance away from the actual site of the ruins. There are some shops and snack bars there. From there it is about 1/2 mile walk to the ruins. The ruins themselves are fairly easy to get around. There are a few rocky places near some of the larger structures. The site is quite small and does not require too much walking. The location is perched on a cliff above the ocean.

There is almost no shade within the Tulum site itself, and it can get very hot. Restroom facilities are available, for a fee, back at the main plaza. The number of visitors there can be very large. There is no need to be concerned about personal safety, just take the basic precautions you would anywhere else.

Personally, I'm not sure how exciting this trip would be for a 5 YO. Your child might be fascinated, or just bored beyond belief.

My husband and I went to Tulum on our own from our stop in Cozumel in July. It's a long day's trip, that's for sure, but for us, it was well worth it because of the beauty of the site. Are you thinking of taking the ship's excursion? With a young child, that might be a better alternative, especially if they have toilets on the bus. I don't know how the weather will be in November compared to July, but my main complaint was the oppressive heat. However, there is a small sandy beach right among the ruins and when we were there, many families with small children were swimming happily there. Maybe you can forgo the tour of the buildings and just swim with your child; that way you can see what Tulum looks like and your child can have fun! At least there are shops and restaurants in the plaza (even a Subway!) so you can get plenty to eat and drink. There is also a trolley that will take you from the plaza to the entrance for a small fee to avoid the 1/2 mile walk in the heat. If you plan carefully and make sure you have plenty of water, hats and sunscreen, I don't see why you and your family couldn't have a memorable adventure to an exquisite location!

I'm a history buff and love ruins but this one was a disappointment - especially after seeing Tikal and Copan. These ruins are much smaller and not very interesting in comparison. My son was 12 when was went and was bored to tears as the tour guide was very dull. The beach is small and the tour was not worth it IMO.

We where there Nov of 03, our 5 year old had a good time. She did not mind the walking, she had fun looking for the Iguana's. She still talks about the ruins today. I think it more depends on your child and what you make of the trip. We are going back in Jan 06 and are looking at the ruins in Costa Maya.

Archived