FT.Lauderdale hotels

robbie2201

I would recommend New Zealand House.

I must admit I haven't been there yet but I was very impressed with how they handled my reservation for February. The website looks nice and it gets raving reviews on tripadvisor compared to the other gay guesthouses.

Will give a full report in March :)

Reint

I stayed at the New Zealand House a number of years ago. While my room was quite nice and I had no problems, some of my friends had problems.

The bed in their room sagged badly, to the point where neither of them could not sleep on their side of the bed. Additionally, their shower (which was held together with duct tape) collapsed on one of them while they were showering. Luckily my friend was not hurt.

Since the New Zealand house is still open, I would assume that they have improved the condition of some of their rooms over the years.

Reint, I look forward to your March review.

Last January I stayed there for several nights. The room was lovely, and along with the grounds immaculately kept. It's also very convienient for watching ships come and go into Port Everglades. The beach and swimming pools were quite nice too.The major down side though was the inatentive dining room service and the lackluster fare. It was quite a let down after dining in the Princess Grill on the QUEEN MARY 2 and then having such poor food and service at the hotel.

When I was back in Ft. Lauderdale later in the year, I did not stay in the Lago Mar for the above reasons. Would I go back again? The answer is maybe. As the property is in a quiet residential neighborhood the nearest restaurant is over at the Hyatt Pier 66 which is about a mile walk. If I had a car and could drive to other restaurants and activities, then I'd think about staying there again.

Hi Calliope,

I think we might be acquaintances. We met when I lived in Cincinnati and we were both members of a Catholic based GLBT group. Drop me a line when you have an opportunity and we can compare notes. My email is: gmhohio at yahoo dot com

Hi Calliope,

I think we might be acquaintances. We met when I lived in Cincinnati and we were both members of a Catholic based GLBT group. Drop me a line when you have an opportunity and we can compare notes.

Hi Gregg, how are you? I think that you are right, and the last time we saw each other was on the NORWEGIAN WIND's 2000 Mardi Gras cruise. Bye the way did you make your flight in Miami after the cruise was over? We didn't and had to stay overnight there. I've never seen a more poorly organized disembarkation. The ship was late into port. Two thousand queens, some already missing their flights home by hours, trying to get the few taxis that were available. It was a mess. Luckily, I called the airline and found a hotel from a payphone at the pier. I changed Chuck's and my flight to the next day, and found a nice place to stay, so we made lemonade from lemons!

Frank

Does anyone have any photos of the Grand as the website does not really offer to many. We will be staying there 4/4/08-4/7/08 and have booked a poolside suite...............

Thanks again for everyones help.

Rob & Dave.

Does anyone have any photos of the Grand as the website does not really offer to many. We will be staying there 4/4/08-4/7/08 and have booked a poolside suite...............

Thanks again for everyones help.

Rob & Dave.

Sorry, no pictures. However, there are some posted on Trip Advisor. We too always stay in a poolside (junior) Suite. The website bedroom is quite accurate, there is also a small kitchenette with full sized refrigerator, that is stocked with snacks and refreshments. (for a fee) Hope you enjoy your stay.

To Tom who asked about gyms close to The Grande, The Zoo is located about 1/2 a mile south of the resort. Popular with the local beach residents and known for the open air roof top weight area, it is often used for mens health and fitness magazine photo shoot

I live in Ft. Lauderdale Beach and there are many restaurants in the area that are easy walk. Casablanca cafe as mentioned previously, is a great people watching spot and very gay friendly, as is Coconuts just south of las olas off of Seabreeze(A1A South) The St. Regis Hotel has a great wine bar and restaurant, Spazio on AIA and Las Olas is also popular and right next to elbo room, one of the best spots for watchin the bois at the beach.

My husband and I had an extremely pleasant experience at The Liberty Suites. It's in Dania Beach just south of the airport and not far from the cruise port. The hosts, Jack and Joe could not have been more accommodating. They now have pre/post cruise packages at their all-suite property.

We found them when we were looking for pet-friendly accommodation on a previous driving trip, btw, not that you're likely to bring a pet on a cruise holiday, but for any future trips.

Tell 'em George and Ian from Toronto sent you.

Archived