Atlantis Med cruise - Millennium review 8/28-9/6

HotlantaCruiser

No time to post much of a review, still having fun in Barcelona :eek:

as for High Roller (the twit who didn´t understand why you would pay the markup for a gay cruise, well, he missed the absolute best of the 6 Atlantis cruises I have done. This one was just amazing.

Ship was great, food exceeded my expectations (Fear not regarding recent reviews about food quality being poor in the Med this year), the crew were excellent, I have found a new favorite cruise line. Way too many positive things to say about X and the Millie.

Sushi bar was great, but very short hours. Say hello to Roselio the sushi chef for me!

Downsides (besides this damn european keyboard that I can´t use :) ):

Messina is the butthole of Europe. Either take the bus to Taormina or STAY ON THE SHIP. Honestly, the worst port I have ever visited. What street wasn´t littered with trash and dog ****, had other more vile items (yep, and not just one of them, dozens of them. YUCK. ) No shopping whatsoever, I mean none!!

I understand that it´s not the normal port that is used for cruise ships. We decided not to get up early and take the bus to Taormina (after our Rhodes fiasco, and the fact that we were too damn tired). Don´t waste your time in Messina though, get to Taormina, as everyone told us that we missed something really wonderful.

Rhodes: Don´t bother with an organized tour, just get off the ship and explore the fabulous old town. We did the Scenic Rhodes excursion and that´s what we saw, ROADS. Instead of having the day in the old town we drove 1.5 hours out to some pile of rubble that wasn´t worth the effort. Spend the day in the old town, it was wonderful (at least the 1 hour we had there).

We did also notice the "smell" that others have commented on. It wasn´t prevalent on top decks, or in restaurants, but certainly was overpowering when getting on/off the ship. WHEW ! :mad:

Aqua spa cafe food was very good (makes me wonder just how healthy it is, as it tasted really good. Vegetable sushi in the Aqua spa cafe was not good, very bland)

More to come when I have time to do a proper TR.

B

Everything was great with Celebrity and Atlantis. The only downside was for me in that I lost a case containing $400 worth of CD+G's on the ship by accidentally leaving them in the theater, and was quite disappointed that neither the crew or guests were honest enough to take 5 minutes and bring them to the front desk, as they never left the ship and some are not replaceable (limited editions)... maybe it was the same person who stole Shann Carr's shoes, LOL.

Otherwise, amazing! ... almost too much to see for one day each. Would love to spend more time in Mykonos and Rhodes, and maybe visit the black sand beaches in Santorini. Would like to visit Venice & Barcelona again when there is more time too. I have lived in these places but that was 30 years ago and was strange coming back after all this time!

One final note: This was DEFINITELY a couple's cruise. There were a lot of times I felt lonely or had to do stuff alone (not too thrilled with my roommate). Everyone was partnered or with a group or entourage from their city. People were friendly and polite, but when it came to actually DOING things (especially excursions) most were spoken for or had a companion already. I would go again only with a partner or good friends. : )

Archived