Pride of Aloha Review 12/12-22 Pt 5 (wild horses ...)

Floppy McTurnriver

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

==================

- this was my first NCL/NCLA cruise. I had set my expectations accordingly based on the Cruise Critic Members Review section for Pride of Aloha. When planning the cruise I was always wondering how there could be such variance between the ratings from some people. You can see the feedback yoyo-ing from 1 star to 4 or 5 stars. Thank god for all those that contribute on these boards so I knew what I was getting myself into. This will not be your typical cruise experience.

- those that give this ship 1 star, I completely understand why. Perhaps they were expecting a regular cruise experience and weren't aware of the NCLA differences. If I went into this cruise blind I would have been one miserable camper.

- for those that give this ship a 4-5 star rating. They either had one hell of a bar tab or were experimenting a different kind of island 'recreation'. :)

- I don't think people should write off all of NCL just based on this ship alone. I would try their International staffed ships in the future as a second chance, I just wouldn't place it at the top of the priority list is all.

THE GOOD:

========

- the Promenade deck is great for runners. No benches so minimal people and wide so lots of room. It's unobstructed all around the ship so great for tracking (yes there is the bad smell at the rear - yes the smell never goes away)

- unexpected port stay extensions. Great for people with their own flexible plans. We got 6 extra hrs between Nawiliwili (+2 hrs) and Lahaina (+4hrs).

- enjoyed the 'wine by the glass' selection. I drink a little and the amount/price/selection was reasonable.

- liked the look of the Plantation Club and Outriggers lounges. Very nice. Too bad live music is not available after 9:30pm though. Also the Kahili (Italian) specialty restaurant has the best layout of any I've seen on any ship. Every seat has window view. The food was tasty and the portions huge (wasted on us but others would enjoy the value for money)

- for a ship this size I thought they were very generous allocating what room they did for the fitness facilities. Good selection of equipment. Too bad none of the TVs seem to work and there never was any staff present when patrons were there.

- getting on/off the ship from beginning to end was never a problem.

THE BAD:

=======

- lack of variety and imagination at main dining and the buffets. Even pizzas cost money (they are only available coupled to beer or smoothies so you must pay other than room service order)

- there is a high turnover rate of staff on this ship confirmed by several employees. This ship is used as a training ship so it's really hit and miss with the service levels. It will range wildly from amatuer hr to very good all the time. So be prepared to double/triple check every answer to your questions for staff. It happened way too many times to us for it to be a fluke.

- I really have a new appreciation for the International staff on past cruise ships. I think I under appreciated how hard they have it because they always managed to put on such a cheerful, helpful attitude. No such disguise here. This was an unhappy bunch and it was noticeable. Can't blame them - you're brought up in a 1st world country with certain expectations and freedoms and now you're forced to work 7x24 for 5 months straight for probably average wages and put up with 2000+ passengers whims and fancies? Disney employees have always been my gold standard for american customer service (but they probably get regular days off like most jobs). The only way to fill this business model is to go after the younger inexperienced cheaper folks and convince them to sign aboard on a contract. Unfortunately the younger ones are usually the ones with most attitude and a chip on their shoulder.

- you will find every dining venue to be understaffed anytime of the day. The ship has a great idea with a dining seat availability status indicator but what the monitor says and reality are completely at opposites. If you poke your head into any venue you will always see >25% of the seats empty but a long line at the entrance because each venue is always chronically understaffed. That means any sit down meal always turns into a dragged out affair due to lack of service. We tried our best to either eat on shore or pay extra to eat at the specialty restaurants just to get some level of service and decent food. The specialty restuarants' quality would equate to what you would normally get at main dining on Princess or Celebrity.

CONCLUSION:

==========

Q: Am I glad I did this cruise?

A: Glad is the wrong word and cruise is the wrong word. Don't go into this as a cruise, just think of it as an all inclusive 2-3 star Caribbean resort. No regrets as no one else has this kind of Hawaii itinerary. My advice would be to only do this cruise if you've never been to Hawaii and you were looking for a convenient primer to the islands. ie) a scouting trip. I can't now ever imagine returning to Hawaii specifically to cruise. You can gather from my review that the focus or star of this trip was Hawaii the island, not the ship.

Q: Would I sail on NCLA again?

A: There aren't enough wild horses on Hawaii to drag me onboard again.

Aloha.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

==================

CONCLUSION:

==========

Q: Would I sail on NCLA again?

A: There aren't enough wild horses on Hawaii to drag me onboard again.

Aloha.

I would never, never, never ride a horse just to go on a cruise! You must of enjoyed it quite a bit, you sure take enough time to write "LONG" reviews!:p

Thanks just the same!

The absolute worst cruise I ever been on, was VUNDERFUL, just VUNDERFUL!:D :D :D

Thank you for the wonderful review. I was on the Pride of Aloha Nov 21 -Dec 1 and I feel exactly the same as you. We were the unfortunate ones to be at the back of the ship and directly under the food prep area for the buffet and had to listen to slamming doors and carts being dragged across the floor every morning starting around 315AM{ish}If anyone is booked in 0140 AFT be moved prior to boarding!!!!! The smell back there was awful. We had read about bad smells and took an air freshener with us and sometimes we could smell it in our cabin over the air freshener. The service in Longboards sports bar was the worst service with the grumpiest bartender on the ship. He was a kid with an attitude. I was in the service industry 10 years so I know how to treat customers and I doubt he would be tipped in the real world. I will never do a cruise again with NCLA. This was my 4th cruise and by far the worst ever. I, like yourself went into it reading the reviews and actually thinking," how bad can it possibly be?" Well if it had been my first cruise it would have certainly been my last. I am not exagerating when I say that EVERYONE that we had spoken to were very disappointed. There were 3 couples that had their "service" charges lowered to half and the one that refused to pay them PERIOD.They tipped they're cabin steward seperately. If I had known you could do that I would have done the same thing. We went into this looking at booking another cruise while on board to take advantage of the $100 on board credit but it will have to be a smokin good deal to get me to go back to NCL again. This was my second cruise with them and we were aboard the " Dream" out of New Orleans the first time with no complaints. After speaking with people aboard Holland America while on shore I'm thinking of trying them out next.

Too many people do cruise NCLA expecting it to be like a standard cruise. It is not -- but it is the best way to see alot of the HI islands in a short period of time. We were off the ship more than we were on, so we did not "miss" the cruise experience at all. We've sailed POAm twice and it would not take even a single pre-historic miniscule horse ancestor to "drag" me onto a third sailing!

I am sorry that your cruise didn't live up to your needs or expectations. We were on PoAm at the same time you were on PoA. And yes, we also were under the buffet (and the noise at 3-6 am was a problem but I had booked an inside cabin on deck 10 aft at about $100/night/pp and was willing to tolerate some noise for that price). We did NOT have any problems with the American personnel, all of whom were friendly, cheerful and helpful. We found the entertainment staff to be the BEST we have EVER had on any line and by planning our on-shore activities (avoiding NCL excursions and doing things we enjoy doing) we had a wonderful vacation.

I'm not into wild horses, but a jet plane and an NCL cruise ship could bring me back to Hawaii in a Waikiki moment.

--My_AZ

I'm not into wild horses, but a jet plane and an NCL cruise ship could bring me back to Hawaii in a Waikiki moment.

--My_AZ

My sentiments exactly, they probably would have been cheaper than DELTA! We're going and I don't care if the horses stable is in the rear, we're going, if I have to plug my nose and go, it's gonna be a blast!

5 more days that's all we got to go

We're gonna have a great time and enjoy the show

I know there are whiners, and they love to post their say

But we're going to have fun and have it our own way!:D

Floppy,

If you're still out there my "wifey" wants to know which excursion your "wifey" took in Lahaina to see the whales. She is also interested in the PWF but times are critical with our schedule.

Also, when is the last tender back to the ship. One hour, half hour before departure?

Mahalo,

Mac:):):)

Hey!! I always wanted to ride a wild horse! HEHEHE>>> I will be there March 5th..with clothes pin for my nose, ear plugs for my ears and what ever else I may need! IT IS HAWAII!!!!!!!!! I bet it smelled very good on the islands with all the beautiful flowers! I will have to make sure my HUBBY orders me two or three beautiful orders of flowers to put in my room! That should help along with an air freshener! Still excited no mater what bad reviews come my way!

I have been reading the comments about NCLA and especially the Pride of Aloha. I am on record as saying that our December 1-12 cruise may have been our best ever. You can see from my signature that we have been on a number of other cruise lines so I have basis for comparison. I hope I am able to express the point I want to make to those who compare NCL/NCLA to other cruise lines. Regardless of expectations and how NCL/NCLA meet those, are you really objective in your comments? What I mean is for example, if on Princess, HAL, RCCL etc. and you got so-so food/service, the weather sucked, your cabin was not so good or what ever, did that affect your overall cruise experience? Or as I suspect, in retrospect you remember that well... after all you were on a Princess, Celebrity, HAL cruise and that the cruise experience/memory was good/great/better than.... So why when you experience the same conditions on NCL/NCLA do you feel the need to use this forum to publicly put down a blanket condemnation of the ship and/or cruiseline? We have had storms you would not believe, surly international (non-American) service, cramped cabins, and food that was not at all up to standards on all cruises but never, ever, have we had a BAD cruise. The cruise experience is what you make it, when things happen we seek remedy but we don't dwell on it or let it ruin a hard earned vacation. We roll with it and say, it's just another crummy day in paradise. On NCL/NCLA, and particularly in Hawai'i, didn't get you a great per-person, per-day cruise fare and didn't you love that itinerary??? If not, so, so, sad for you. Thanks to all that read this for listening to my vent. For those that vow to never take NCL/NCLA again, that means any of our future travel experience on the cruiseline will likely be more enjoyable for us since we won't be feeling your negative vibrations. In the truest sense of the word "Aloha nui loa" to all. Patric. :)

Floppy,

If you're still out there my "wifey" wants to know which excursion your "wifey" took in Lahaina to see the whales. She is also interested in the PWF but times are critical with our schedule.

Also, when is the last tender back to the ship. One hour, half hour before departure?

Mahalo,

Mac:):):)

It was 2hrs (from 11am-1pm). But the ship is there officially from 8am-2pm and they want everyone back onboard at 1:30pm. Since PWF is right beside the ship and the ship does use PWF no reason why you shouldn't use PWF directly. If PWF comes back late from the excursion so will all those that bought the NCL version of the same excursion.

I have been reading the comments about NCLA and especially the Pride of Aloha. I am on record as saying that our December 1-12 cruise may have been our best ever. You can see from my signature that we have been on a number of other cruise lines so I have basis for comparison. I hope I am able to express the point I want to make to those who compare NCL/NCLA to other cruise lines. Regardless of expectations and how NCL/NCLA meet those, are you really objective in your comments? What I mean is for example, if on Princess, HAL, RCCL etc. and you got so-so food/service, the weather sucked, your cabin was not so good or what ever, did that affect your overall cruise experience? Or as I suspect, in retrospect you remember that well... after all you were on a Princess, Celebrity, HAL cruise and that the cruise experience/memory was good/great/better than.... So why when you experience the same conditions on NCL/NCLA do you feel the need to use this forum to publicly put down a blanket condemnation of the ship and/or cruiseline? We have had storms you would not believe, surly international (non-American) service, cramped cabins, and food that was not at all up to standards on all cruises but never, ever, have we had a BAD cruise. The cruise experience is what you make it, when things happen we seek remedy but we don't dwell on it or let it ruin a hard earned vacation. We roll with it and say, it's just another crummy day in paradise. On NCL/NCLA, and particularly in Hawai'i, didn't get you a great per-person, per-day cruise fare and didn't you love that itinerary??? If not, so, so, sad for you. Thanks to all that read this for listening to my vent. For those that vow to never take NCL/NCLA again, that means any of our future travel experience on the cruiseline will likely be more enjoyable for us since we won't be feeling your negative vibrations. In the truest sense of the word "Aloha nui loa" to all. Patric. :)

Gee - and here I thought the posts were here to relate travellers experiences whether they be good or bad. Didn't know I was only suppose to paint pictures of rainbows and lollipops.

Talk about being OBJECTIVE! - did you not READ that I had no regrets as I chose this because of the itinerary? that I wrote I did enjoy my vacation in Hawaii as atested by 4 long pages of review? that I listed the good points of the ship also? that my 1st statements on part 1 were that these were only MY opinions (never stated that they were shared by everyone onboard)? that I do not let the ocassional kink ruin my vacation?

Funny how you NON-NEGATIVE folks focus on the one small negative section of a long 5 page POSITIVE review of Hawaii. Did you even pay attention that this is posted in the Port Call section of the boards and not under the NCL ships' section? Why are you so thin skinned that you feel compelled to defend NCLA if anyone not even remotely related to you had a less enjoyable experience than yourself?

Why do YOU bother to skim past the 4 pages of positives just to focus on the negative?

You're right about one thing though - wouldn't want to cuise with OBJECTIVE, POSITIVE people like yourself.

You're right about one thing though - wouldn't want to cuise with OBJECTIVE, POSITIVE people like yourself.

Talk about objective, yes I am, I read all 5 of your review threads, in the order you wrote them. I am not an NCL/NCLA apologist either. I also am not expecting all sunshine and smiles. We take your review and all others on CC and use that information to make informed decisons on the cruises we take. I believe that there is a current on this board to review a cruise and make blanket declarations similar to your "Wild Horses..." Or am I misquoting you ?? Not that can't be as you used that for the title of all five of your threads. Or maybe it was just a good literary device to hold the audience attention until the final chapter.

Bottom line though you repeated what many others have said about NCL/NCLA and ended by saying you wouldn't cruise with them again. It is your choice of course. Let me re-phrase the point of my post. Having experienced the same conditions on a single Princess, HAL or any other cruise would you write off the whole cruise line?

Talk about objective, yes I am, I read all 5 of your review threads, in the order you wrote them. I am not an NCL/NCLA apologist either. I also am not expecting all sunshine and smiles. We take your review and all others on CC and use that information to make informed decisons on the cruises we take. I believe that there is a current on this board to review a cruise and make blanket declarations similar to your "Wild Horses..." Or am I misquoting you ?? Not that can't be as you used that for the title of all five of your threads. Or maybe it was just a good literary device to hold the audience attention until the final chapter.

Bottom line though you repeated what many others have said about NCL/NCLA and ended by saying you wouldn't cruise with them again. It is your choice of course. Let me re-phrase the point of my post. Having experienced the same conditions on a single Princess, HAL or any other cruise would you write off the whole cruise line?

My understanding is that NCLA only does Hawaii currently. So if I needed to take this cruise only as a scouting for Hawaii and that is now accomplished, why would I need to repeat with NCLA? (they don't go anywhere else!). And if you really did read carefully as you claim then you would've read that I did not write off NCL as I would try them in the future to be objective. I'm not an idiot I don't write off a whole cruise line based on a mediocore cruise (note mediocore - i gave it a 2-3 star rating not a 1 star like those that do rant and rave.). I'm writing off NCLA because it has nothing left to offer me and what little I experienced I on the ship I didn't care for. Get some reading glasses will ya?

So what if other people want to make blanket statements? Why do you feel the personal need to "address" those with "negative" vibes? Don't you trust that the general CC member has the intelligence to distinguish between a rant, a vent, or an opinion? Or are you the only one capable of policing these threads and deciding what is appropriate or not? Chill bro'

It's Hawaii. it's all good.

Thanks for the thorough review, Floppy! I appreciate the time, effort, and thought that you put into it. Your opinions are also appreciated and will be taken into consideration when making some future decisions. That's the great thing about these boards...we all can't have experienced everything. It's nice to gain from other's experiences. In some cases at the very least folks can't say they weren't warned! :eek:

I'm with you 100% on the future Hawaiian trips. It's all about land vacations FOR ME.

Thanks again for your GREAT review!

Aloha

Going in April and my expecations are not that great either, but I want to see Hawaii and everyone says NCL has the best deal. Can anyone recommend a Hotel, we are arriving the day before, but not until 6:30 pm and after a ten and a half hours in the air and the time change we will probably just want a clean place to sleep. Also how early can we get on the ship?

I just got back from Pride of Hawaii. I agree that the NCLA ships have a high turnover and the crew is understaffed and overworked. But they really tried hard to please and only a few things fell through the cracks. What I heard from the crew would indicate that Pride of America would be the cruise of choice if we would do it again, since POH is going to Europe. The food was good quality to us and we were able to get pizza and other items without paying extra. Only alcohol and sodas were extra, besides the fee retaurants-Le Bistro, Cagneys, and Japanese(Jasmine, Teppanyaki, Shabu Shabu). Great pizza was available by room serivce too.

Sorry your cruise wasnt what you expected. Hope you enjoyed the Hawaii part and it turned out to be great.

Going in April and my expecations are not that great either, but I want to see Hawaii and everyone says NCL has the best deal. Can anyone recommend a Hotel, we are arriving the day before, but not until 6:30 pm and after a ten and a half hours in the air and the time change we will probably just want a clean place to sleep. Also how early can we get on the ship?

We did a post (day rate only = <24 hrs) stay at the Wyland (day rate of $99). Converted condos/apts. Dated on outside, but very nice inside. Just off of Waikiki, a short walk. Very happy with it. Here's the web site.

http://www.thewylandwaikikihotel.com/?src=ppc_google_brand

Maybe NCL has special pre-cruise rate. Do ask. About the cruise. Shouldn't let my or anyone else's review deter you. Focus on the important thing - Hawaii. NCLA allows you to see more of Hawaii than anyone else.

Aloha

we've not done this and may or may not, but I appreciate your honest opinions of your cruise. I think some people need to get a life and learn how to read objectively.

Thanks for the comments.

I still maintain that if you've never been to Hawaii and you're a cruiser then at this time the best Hawaii cruise ITINERARY (not ship) is NCLA Pride of Aloha. I believe only the POAl does the 10 & 11 day exclusive inter-island route (not talking about the Fanning Island itinerary). I believe the POH and POAm only do 7 day cruises (even though they are the better ships). I would actually encourage you to take this 10/11 day route before it's discontinued altogether by NCLA. One of the best things was we got 6 extra hours on the islands.

Aloha.

I just got back from Pride of Hawaii. I agree that the NCLA ships have a high turnover and the crew is understaffed and overworked. But they really tried hard to please and only a few things fell through the cracks. What I heard from the crew would indicate that Pride of America would be the cruise of choice if we would do it again, since POH is going to Europe. The food was good quality to us and we were able to get pizza and other items without paying extra. Only alcohol and sodas were extra, besides the fee retaurants-Le Bistro, Cagneys, and Japanese(Jasmine, Teppanyaki, Shabu Shabu). Great pizza was available by room serivce too.

Sorry your cruise wasnt what you expected. Hope you enjoyed the Hawaii part and it turned out to be great.

Thanks for the comments. I wish the POH or POAm did our 10/11 day route. That would've been great. Pride of America would've been my choice for Hawaii but I wanted more land time. No regrets. Life is all about experiences. Maybe one day I'll get to try her when she sails elsewhere.

My admiration to all crew members on all ships who slog it out day-in/day-out with nary a break.

I think your review was pretty balanced. We encountered some of the same issues as you -- slow, indifferent service in particular -- and it definitely isn't a traditional cruise experience. But it is a great way to see the islands!

Archived