Anyone know if RCI will allow 5 in a room?

sdmike

I got a huge sticker shock trying to book a Disney cruise from LA to Mexico this summer ($14k to put 5 people in a 260 square foot cabin!) and started shopping RCI. The Vision has the same itinerary as the Magic, and I can get into an Owner's Suite for half what Disney wanted. The only issue is, there are 5 of us and at least on-line it will only allow you to book 4 in a room. Will they put a 5th (our kids are 13, 11 and 6) in one of the big rooms like a Grand Oceanview or Owner's??

One more question, does the Vision have any connecting rooms in any of the ocean-view categories? Another option for us is to get two lower level connectors for the family, which I've done before on other lines (two baths..yay!). I'm just not sure if the Vision has any connecting rooms like this.

Finally, I'm assuming that the Grand Oceanview and Owner's suites are still only one bathroom, right?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the OS will sleep 5, 2 in the king bed, 2 on the sofabed and 1 on the rollaway. The room is so huge that you will not feel crowded. Yes it does only have 1 bathroom though.

There are several grades of connecting rooms on Vision - cat I,H and F Ocean view and also D1 balconies.

I got a huge sticker shock trying to book a Disney cruise from LA to Mexico this summer ($14k to put 5 people in a 260 square foot cabin!) and started shopping RCI. The Vision has the same itinerary as the Magic, and I can get into an Owner's Suite for half what Disney wanted. The only issue is, there are 5 of us and at least on-line it will only allow you to book 4 in a room. Will they put a 5th (our kids are 13, 11 and 6) in one of the big rooms like a Grand Oceanview or Owner's??

One more question, does the Vision have any connecting rooms in any of the ocean-view categories? Another option for us is to get two lower level connectors for the family, which I've done before on other lines (two baths..yay!). I'm just not sure if the Vision has any connecting rooms like this.

Finally, I'm assuming that the Grand Oceanview and Owner's suites are still only one bathroom, right?

Thanks in advance!

We also have three kids (13, 11, 8...all boys). We have never sailed anyone but RCI so we haven't had the option of stuffing into a single room. That being said, the connecting rooms on RCI ships are great. The floor plans on the website show which ones connect. They have connecting rooms inside and outside...both balcony and oceanview. You get more space for the money and 2 bathrooms. Plus, you can close the door for some privacy. We have considered getting an inside across from an outside but haven't made that plunge yet....soon though.

We have always done 5 (3 kids) in a Grand Suite. I know there is only 1 bathroom but the balcony is to die for!! We never see our kids because they are so busy with the kids clubs so there is always privacy for us. :) .

Have a great cruise no matter what you choose!!

The Family Suite starts at 5 people. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living room area.

Sounds awesome. I searched around and couldn't find this available for any cruise this summer down to Mexico. Must be a popular choice that goes fast!

Sounds awesome. I searched around and couldn't find this available for any cruise this summer down to Mexico. Must be a popular choice that goes fast!

The Family Suites are limited and you have to call Royal Caribbean for pricing. On rare occasions it will be made available on the website just prior to the sailing.

I know that because I inquired about one just yesterday. :D

Sounds romantic............:)

If you have 3 or 4 kids.......you learn to find time........We have always put our 3 kids with us.......but found plenty of alone time. We are alone every other night of the year.......on vacation.......we can find a little bit of......as Borat would say........'Sexy time' if we feel the urge. :eek: ;)

The fun the kids have with each other is priceless!! And our kids are not.....kids.....they are older teens.....or were the last cruise we shared a room. Our two youngest are 16 and 17.........and wouldn't go out with each other and their friends at home......but on vacation......we are a family......they have each other........and some of our funniest 'family' moments are in those tight quarters.......and we have never had anything more than a balcony room!

Bathroom time is not hard. The one that primps the longest (17 year old daughter) goes first. Mom goes next..........usually son goes third.....as he has to get the dress clothes thing going.......(Dad does it daily.....but son doesn't) Dad naps on the deck while girls get ready.....son either goes out there....or is out and about and comes in the room at whatever time we tell him to be back to shower.

I am a spoiled brat....don't "need" to have us all in one room cost wise....and yet......I want my kids in my room. We could afford a seperate room for our kids but we enjoy our time together.......because at home.......we get under each other skin!!! (And I hope that comes out correctly.....we are a normal family.....but our family vacations are just that.....family vacations......and honestly....I don't think our kids would want it any other way......they would not want to share a room together.......16 year old son.....17 year old daughter.) Newly married daughter is still jealous of the couple cruises she has not gone on this year with us as a family.

Bottom line is ............you know your family. I know mine. Our three do nothing but laugh and rag on each other when we go on vacation......but they wouldn't change it at all........that is what childhood memories are made of.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you chose.......enjoy!!!:D

If you have 3 or 4 kids.......you learn to find time........We have always put our 3 kids with us.......but found plenty of alone time. We are alone every other night of the year.......on vacation.......we can find a little bit of......as Borat would say........'Sexy time' if we feel the urge. :eek: ;)

The fun the kids have with each other is priceless!! And our kids are not.....kids.....they are older teens.....or were the last cruise we shared a room. Our two youngest are 16 and 17.........and wouldn't go out with each other and their friends at home......but on vacation......we are a family......they have each other........and some of our funniest 'family' moments are in those tight quarters.......and we have never had anything more than a balcony room!

Bathroom time is not hard. The one that primps the longest (17 year old daughter) goes first. Mom goes next..........usually son goes third.....as he has to get the dress clothes thing going.......(Dad does it daily.....but son doesn't) Dad naps on the deck while girls get ready.....son either goes out there....or is out and about and comes in the room at whatever time we tell him to be back to shower.

I am a spoiled brat....don't "need" to have us all in one room cost wise....and yet......I want my kids in my room. We could afford a seperate room for our kids but we enjoy our time together.......because at home.......we get under each other skin!!! (And I hope that comes out correctly.....we are a normal family.....but our family vacations are just that.....family vacations......and honestly....I don't think our kids would want it any other way......they would not want to share a room together.......16 year old son.....17 year old daughter.) Newly married daughter is still jealous of the couple cruises she has not gone on this year with us as a family.

Bottom line is ............you know your family. I know mine. Our three do nothing but laugh and rag on each other when we go on vacation......but they wouldn't change it at all........that is what childhood memories are made of.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you chose.......enjoy!!!:D

Thank You...We are the exact same way:)

Us too

Wings fan......me, too.........can you tell by my screenname? This was prior to Shanny being traded......and back when hockey was hockey and before the stupid strike and all the BS that went along with that!

Seriously.......my kids are spoiled enough as it is......I am the first to admit it! If I had a fraction of what they have when I was a kid!!!! But.....I would much rather take 2 cruises.......for not much more money (other than airfare) and stay in the same room than I would putting my kids in another room so they can have their own bathroom on a ship.....they each have their own at home!!! They can share one for 7 days......and live like we all grew up with 2 bathroom and 7 kids plus Mom and Dad......!!!

To each his own. I could go on with some stories we still laugh about.....but won't.........(whatever you do......don't be the first to fall asleep in our room) but these are memories we still laugh about a few years later! And had we not all been in such close quarters.....who would have guessed my son's feet could stink so bad????? ;)

Thanks in advance!

You are correct.......at least if I remember correctly, RCCL did not have just a plain old balcony room for 5. Carnival did. (sorry......but it did)

The last few times we cruised with all three of the kids......we also took other family members and had several rooms so our oldest stayed in another room. We have never been lucky enough to score a family suite. At this point oldest daughter is married so we wouldn't need one anymore...but hopefully someone can guide you!!

We usually do the Grand Suite and it fits 5. Our oldest has decided that High School Wrestling is much more important (he is a senior) and is staying home. So we are bringing our niece. We have never had a problem with 5 in a room. People who don't have large families don't understand us...we know how to share 1 bathroom;) And you are so right about the memories...those late night giggles are soooo much more valuable then "Romantic Time". Don't get me wrong, we find time for each other...sometimes it is more funny:eek: than romatic. To each thier own I say:) .

Great information, everyone. Thank you very much. It looks like I'll be going for a GS or an OS for this summer's cruise. They won't let me book 5 in a room online, so I'm going to have to call them.

Another quick question...

I've been to 15 websites including RCI, AAA, Costco, cruise.com, etc. and the price is always the same for these rooms. Any good sources that either discount or have some extras? I want to get these booked ASAP now that I found what we're going to do.

Thanks in advance!!

Best of luck with your cruise! I do know RCCL on the Liberty has oceanview rooms that connect as my friend had one earlier this month!

In regard to price changes, you will pretty much find the same prices everywhere. Sometimes, RCCL will release AARP or US State discounts. If you book now and find out in a month the prices have dropped, all you have to do is contact RCCL or your TA and they will issue you a refund. My husband and I actually saved $500 just buy watching the prices on our Panmal Canal cruise!

just a follow-up to my own question... It looks like Costco Travel provides some pretty good on-board credit amounts for these cruises. Not sure how they calculate it, but it looks like about 7% of your room price...so about $400 on a $6k room

Just as a final follow-up, we ended up going with costco travel. We were able to get pretty significant onboard credits through them ($600 for my room!).

I want to thank everyone again for their suggestions and advice. We have decided to forgo DCL for this Mexico trip and sail on RCI again. My wife and I had a very nice experience on RCI for our first cruise about 14 years ago (on the old lady, Sovereign of the Seas), and we thought we would try the family on RCI this time. While it's likely the Magic is a step above the Vision, for the kid's programs and shows, we couldn't justify the cost difference.

If you remember, Disney wanted $14k to put us in one of those family suites...the 240sqft shoebox with a rollaway. Even when we got creative with inside connecting rooms on lower decks, the price tag for the 11 of us (parties of 5, 4 and 2) came to well over $20k. Instead we're going BIG on RCI for a lot less money. My family is sailing in a Owner's Suite for $7k before onboard credits. The others are staying in GS rooms for around $5k - $6k. Our total for the 11 comes to about $18k, in space about 3x what we'd get on the Magic for more $.

I'm really hoping...and trying to stay optimistic...that we have a great trip for the kids. After having been on DCL for their first cruise there's an opportunity for disappointment here, but we'll certainly do our best to make it fun. Given our $ savings we should be able to load up soda and arcade cards and do some nice excursions that will help. :)

Thanks again, everyone...and COME ON JULY 13TH!

Archived