Washing SCUBA gear onboard ship?

Sharkmedic

On my upcoming cruise, I am bringing my own SCUBA gear and arranging my own dives. Is there an acceptable area to wash/hang dry my gear, once I'm back on the ship, or should I just take care of it in my stateroom head? :confused:

I have always rinsed mine out in the shower. That has always worked ok, but drying it has always been a big problem as I have never booked a cabin with a balcony. I have just dried the gear off the best I could with a towel and dpread it out to finish drying. Not great, but what else can you do (unless you take it up to the lido to dry but by the time you get back it is usually at or near sundown).

We usually get a cabin with a bath tub and wash our equipment out in that, then let it drain. After our last dive, we usually let stuff soak for an hour to ensure that all the salt is out. Our dive masks are nearly 25 years old and still in good shape, so it's worked for us.

Charlie

I was considering asking the ship's dive center about it, but I thought that might be rude, since I'm not diving with them. The dive centers onboard ship are not usually much more than a storage closet, anyhow.

I've used 2 places on the ship to rinse my dive gear. Usually we get a larger balcony cabin (family of 4) that has a tub which works well for rinsing and drying. Most all ships have showers on deck by the pool. I've also used those showers for rinsing, then lay the gear/wetsuit out on a chair in the sun for a while to dry. I don't use the chairs by the pool, rather I pick one that is in the sun out of the way.

I've used 2 places on the ship to rinse my dive gear. Usually we get a larger balcony cabin (family of 4) that has a tub which works well for rinsing and drying. Most all ships have showers on deck by the pool. I've also used those showers for rinsing, then lay the gear/wetsuit out on a chair in the sun for a while to dry. I don't use the chairs by the pool, rather I pick one that is in the sun out of the way.

That is an absolutely stellar idea!

It's not a problem on HAL's ships, but Princess standard cabin showers are so tiny it's a struggle trying to rinse off even snorkel gear.

I have a cruuise scheduled in early February with nine snorkel trips scheduled and confirmed. You bet I'll be using the pool showers from now on.

I wish I'd had the sense to think of this - DUH! :p

You're a scholar and a gentleman, Bruce. Thank You!!:)

I have only cruised on Princess cruise lines. The showers are quite small but big enough for me to hang a hanger from the shower head and close the curtain. I'll leave everything to dry there until I go to bed (I always book morning dives). Before going to bed I'll hang things from the bathroom door.

One important note: I talked to the dive master on our last cruise about the water onboard. All the water is desalinated sea water. It is safe to drink but not the best thing for rinsing out dive gear. If you can, take advantage of the fresh water tank at the dive centre to rinse your equipment before heading back to the boat.

I have only cruised on Princess cruise lines. The showers are quite small but big enough for me to hang a hanger from the shower head and close the curtain. I'll leave everything to dry there until I go to bed (I always book morning dives). Before going to bed I'll hang things from the bathroom door.

One important note: I talked to the dive master on our last cruise about the water onboard. All the water is desalinated sea water. It is safe to drink but not the best thing for rinsing out dive gear. If you can, take advantage of the fresh water tank at the dive centre to rinse your equipment before heading back to the boat.

I thought many locations in carribean used desalinated sea water as a source for their fresh water anyway. If I can't get my gear rinsed at the dive shop I guess I can fall back on the showers at the pool and enjoy a frosty bev and some sun while my gear drip dries.

If I can't get my gear rinsed at the dive shop I guess I can fall back on the showers at the pool and enjoy a frosty bev and some sun while my gear drip dries.

I think the "frosty beverage" is the key to dive gear care. Thank you for your sage advice. :D

Those of you who dry your gear on your balconies, do you bring it inside before the ship sails? If not, any problems with things blowing overboard or salt spray getting all over your gear?

Things flying away? No..... Saltwater? Yes....lol...... I do pull my BC, Regulator inside so it's not salt exposed all night. But I leave fins, dive bag outside. For more room also. My dive skin and shorty dive suit dries quickly so that's brought in as well.....

Archived