What if?

angie54751

Got our cruise docs today and am super excited!! However, now am considering going down to Fort Lauderdale a day or two early. Has anyone done this and what was their experience with the changing of flights etc. We booked through Travelocity. If it will be a big hassle we will just stick with what we have, but would like to know any info you may have.

Thanks

You might have to pay a large fee (like $100pp) plus any difference in fares to change your airline tickets, or not be able to change them at all, depending on the type of fare you got. Best bet would be to call Travelocity customer service and ask.... that way you'd know for sure, rather than getting the best guesses of folks here on CC.

Hotel rates in early Feb in FLL could be steep... I was down there in Feb of this year and as I recall, they were pretty high....

Have a wonderful cruise! It'll be such a wonderful change from the frozen tundra of northern Wisconsin!

angie- dh and I will be on the Enchantment same time as you and we are going down a day early. I think it's too risky to go down the day of with all the weather we've had lately. We are booked at the Candlewood Suites, and it's pretty high, but it gives me a little peice of mind knowing that we'll already be in Ft. Lauderdale. We got our cruise docs too!! I'm soooooo excited!!

Don't know what to tell you about THIS cruise, but......

We ALWAYS fly in a day early and spend the night relaxing and looking forward to an easy, early-as-possible embarkation the next morning.

The hassle and stress of flying in the day of the cruise and trying to catch the ship before she sails is WAAAAAAY too much.

And....

Most of our cruises, we have a GREAT Rollcall/Meet-&-Mingle group. We usually have a big group coming in the day before, arrange a meeting for drinks or dinner to meet everyone even before the cruise.

Last summer, we had a group of about 30 "Motley Cruisers" (0ut of the 120 in our rollcall) that were staying at the same hotel. We had the BEST blow-out pool party that Sat. evening before we boarded early Sunday.

It is definitely worth the extra few $$ to have all that.

Hope This Helps.

As Roofing Prin pointed out you will most likely encounter some extra cash going out. Only you can determine if you want to spend it.

In the future tho I would suggest that you always plan to go a day or 2 ahead if at all possible. It's nice to wake up the morning and know you are within a few minutes of the port rather than a plane ride away.

We always drive to Port Canaveral a day early just to be safe. I do not want to feel rushed the day of the cruise. Its worth the extra money for a hotel and meals to me. Changing plane tickets is easy if they have availability and the tickets are refundable. If non refundable you typcially have to pay a change charge (up to $100) plus the difference in the price of ticket. FYI

What is your budget?? THAT'S the question! We do go one day early for all cruises, so that we can get on the ship as early as possible. BUT--it will add to your overall expenses--hotel, meals, entertainment, and in your case, changing flight plans! If you can afford it, I'd do it. Otherwise, don't bust the budget if you don't have to!

We are sailing on the Brilliance out of Miami on Jan 11th and originally had a flight booked the morning of into Miami. We just recently changed our flight to the day before, just for peace of mind. I can't comment on prices, as my husband is a pilot so we fly at discounted rates. Anyway, the rates they charge to change your flights, you may be able to find a cheaper NEW flight to book! I am feeling SO MUCH BETTER about our change in plans. I shudder to think of all the "what ifs"....

good luck with whatever you decide!

Got our cruise docs today and am super excited!! However, now am considering going down to Fort Lauderdale a day or two early. Has anyone done this and what was their experience with the changing of flights etc. We booked through Travelocity. If it will be a big hassle we will just stick with what we have, but would like to know any info you may have.

Thanks

You are similar to me! We are also from the frozen state of Wisconsin!! We are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale March 1st and we decided to fly in the day before just incase we ran into any flight delays. And we actually got a great rate at a hotel near the port. We aren't picky about hotels so that wasn't a concern. The real vacation starts when we board the ship anyways!! Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your cruise. Anything would be better than all this snow!!!!

I'M NOT FROM THE FROZEN TUNDRA OF WISCONSIN BUT INSTEAD THE FROST BITTEN LANDSCAPE OF 10,000 FROZEN SOLID LAKES OF MINNESOTA...we have been on 15 cruises since 1991 and only on the 1st (becuase we didn't know any better and there was no cruise critic to access) we did not do a pre-nite...we have pre-nited in miami...ft lauderdale and san juan...listen up fellow cruise critic geeksters...IT'S THE ONLY WAS TO CRUISE...go down a day or two before saling if at all possible...the weather north of the mason dixon line in the winter time stinks and captain stubbing isn't wait for me or my group to show up at the pier to pull away...when most of us are waiting 6 to 12 months to go on a cruise i'm not going to be late...yes i know it and have heard it many many many times before...we can't afford it...i can't get the time off...i can't leave the kids for that long...whatever...if you leave the day of the saling you are taking a risk...geting on the ship at 11:30 in the morning totally relaxed and ready to start a week of fun in the sun...DO THE PRE-NITE END OF DISCUSSION

There are so many variables that no one can give you an absolute answer. No one has a crystal ball to let us know exactly what the weather will be, or if there are mechanical problems, security problems, the list can go on and on.

It may not be a hassle, but you will incur a change fee if you change your ticket now. Even if you change your flight to the day before, if a storm happens and you cannot fly in the day before, you're still out of luck and can miss your cruise. If your flight is an early morning and non-stop flight, chances are you will be fine. If you have any stops at all, you are taking more of a risk for delays. The only absolute answer will be a historical one.

We no longer try to rush anywhere to a location and always give ourselves a cushion of time. I'm constantly reading on these boards over the years of travel fiascos both coming and going and we have a few stories of our own, thankfully none missing a cruise! Travel just is what it is, you have to pre-plan for waiting, lines and delays and roll with the punches.

At this point in time, just make sure you have a good travel insurance policy that will cover the cost of the missed flight and cruise should there be any delay problems.

Just to add my two cents....it is critical you book your flight at least one day before the cruise. Let me explain as I almost missed my cruise earlier this month!!!

My family and I book a cruise on Liberty leaving port on 12/15. Our flight was booked for 1pm on 12/14. We of course went to the airport, waited at the gate, and in the end had no flight (gotta love airlines!). At 3:30 when we finally found out we would not be going to Miami, we were given two choices. Fly into Tampa arriving at 2:37am that night and drive to Miami (an 8 hour drive) or catch an 8am direct flight the next morning at an airport 100 miles away. We decided to wait for the flight the next day, but our plane was delayed for two hours due to the ice and snow that came in over night. Luckily, we made it to the ship by 3pm, but it was a close call. I was in pure panic mode that day, but had we not had the extra day, we certainly would have missed the ship! I am strongly considering going two days early from now on!!

We do one day early as well, regardless of where we cruise out of. Nothing like flying across country to start the cruise vacation the day of, all you'll end up doing is sleeping through everything going on. DW and I missed the parade this time because we were smoked.

You all have been very helpful! I have been on two other cruises, one in which we flew down the day of and one a day ahead of time. Both went smoothly, fortunately. After some discussion with the friend I am traveling with (who by the way has not been on a real vacation since her honeymoon ten years ago) I think we are going to change our flight and come down a day or two early. I really don't want our first day to filled by stress and rushing. We are not going to be picky about our pre-cruise hotel so hopefully we won't blow our budget with that.

Thanks for all the great advice.;)

Just thought I'd let you all know how the rearranging of our travel plans went. My trip was booked through Travelocity, but it was RCCI that arranged the airfare so didn't know who I should call first. Started with RC, they said I should arrange it through Travelocity. So called them. What they did is had me on hold while they called RC to see what my options were. I was told it would be a minimum of $100 pp to change the flight and then any $$ if the flight was more expensive than my original flight (was expecting that). Also, had been researching hotels in FLL many were very pricey unless I chose something a little "seedier" which I could live with if I had to....and still they were $125-$200 per night and would have had to pay for taxis. Anyway.......after the Travelocity rep came back on from talking to RC they said that if I just book the hotel package through RC they will make arrangements for new flights and transfers and waive the $100 pp flight deviation fee as well at the $35 fee to send out new docs. The hotel package is for two nights at the Renaissance (a 4* hotel) so much nicer than I would have ended up with at a cost of $276 pp. So, actually may have broke even or even come out a head. It will so be worth the peace of mind of knowing that I am already in FLL and won't have to rush and be tired out from a full day of travel prior to sailing.

Thanks for all your great advice.:D

Just thought I'd let you all know how the rearranging of our travel plans went. My trip was booked through Travelocity, but it was RCCI that arranged the airfare so didn't know who I should call first. Started with RC, they said I should arrange it through Travelocity. So called them. What they did is had me on hold while they called RC to see what my options were. I was told it would be a minimum of $100 pp to change the flight and then any $$ if the flight was more expensive than my original flight (was expecting that). Also, had been researching hotels in FLL many were very pricey unless I chose something a little "seedier" which I could live with if I had to....and still they were $125-$200 per night and would have had to pay for taxis. Anyway.......after the Travelocity rep came back on from talking to RC they said that if I just book the hotel package through RC they will make arrangements for new flights and transfers and waive the $100 pp flight deviation fee as well at the $35 fee to send out new docs. The hotel package is for two nights at the Renaissance (a 4* hotel) so much nicer than I would have ended up with at a cost of $276 pp. So, actually may have broke even or even come out a head. It will so be worth the peace of mind of knowing that I am already in FLL and won't have to rush and be tired out from a full day of travel prior to sailing.

Thanks for all your great advice.:D

You're quite welcome. We're glad to hear that you were able to change itinaries without too much cost, were able to secure a decent hotel and, most important of all, will start your vacation without any stress.

Archived