Grand Cayman vs. Grand Turk Snorkeling

mgm3430

We're going to both Grand Turk and Grand Cayman on our cruise and were wondering which place has the best snorkeling? We only want to go snorkeling at 1 island. We've never been to either island.

Any info would be appreciated!!

I can't speak for Grand Turk, but Grand Cayman has excellent reefs and lots of marine life.

There are a number of good operators. I've used Capt Marvin's "full day" five hour trip which includes stops at Coral Gardens then the barrier reef and finally Stingray City.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/index.htm

There's also good shore snorkeling. Eden's Rock is an easy walk from the tender docks. There are rental lockers and a large rinse tank on their deck. It's hard pan right up to the deck, but there's an easy ladder entry.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

Both are fabulous, but I'd opt for Grand Turk. I think the water is more beautiful there, fish life just as abundant, and the reefs don't show as much damage (yet) from snorkelers that Grand Cayman does. There are also more "alternate" activities on Grand Cayman in general. However, if there's something land-based that particularly appeals to you in Grand Turk, then do Grand Cayman - you can't go wrong with either.

I have been diving at both, and would recommend Grand Turk. Grand Turk has better coral and sea life. If the currents are rough in Grand Cayman, which it was earlier this month, you will not be able to snorkel the North Wall or Sting Ray City (the north side is the better side).

Both places are great, so you will have fun at either one. One other thing to consider is that there is more to do in Grand Cayman than in Grand Turk. Grand Turk is not commercialized, so there really is nothing beyond the few stores at the pier, Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, and the beach.

I have been diving at both, and would recommend Grand Turk. Grand Turk has better coral and sea life. If the currents are rough in Grand Cayman, which it was earlier this month, you will not be able to snorkel the North Wall or Sting Ray City (the north side is the better side).

Both places are great, so you will have fun at either one. One other thing to consider is that there is more to do in Grand Cayman than in Grand Turk. Grand Turk is not commercialized, so there really is nothing beyond the few stores at the pier, Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, and the beach.

We're going on 12-6-08 is about the same as you went this year and I would hate the current to be rough in Grand Cayman and not get to snorkel there. Plus, the whole stingray thing sort of scares me. I was thinking of going to 7 mile beach to hang out for the day or I hear that rum point tour is nice and I would love to go to hell just to mail a postcard. Do you have any info on those things? Thanks for your help & opinions

We're going on 12-6-08 is about the same as you went this year and I would hate the current to be rough in Grand Cayman and not get to snorkel there.

Well, as you may know, Grand Cayman is a tender port, and seas are often too rough to tender in. If you have your heart set on snorkeling, I'd plan on Grand Turk, as there's a decent chance you'll miss Grand Cayman altogether.

mgm3430: Seven mile beach is really nice. We ended up diving a few hundred yards off the beach, and from our vantage point it looked like a beautiful beach. I also heard good things about the rum tour and going to Hell. Since it took awhile to find dive sites without horrendous currents, we did not get to explore the island or go shopping.

Also, make sure your bus/van driver knows which ship you are going to...we were dropped off at the wrong pier and had to walk 3 blocks to the correct tender pier. This would not have been a big deal if I was not lugging all my scuba gear. Oh well, live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...
We're going on 12-6-08 is about the same as you went this year and I would hate the current to be rough in Grand Cayman and not get to snorkel there. Plus, the whole stingray thing sort of scares me. I was thinking of going to 7 mile beach to hang out for the day or I hear that rum point tour is nice and I would love to go to hell just to mail a postcard. Do you have any info on those things? Thanks for your help & opinions

Last year I went to Grand Cayman and did the an excursion through Carnival that had Hell, the Turtle Farm, and swimming with sting rays. It was an awesome excusion! I highly recommend it!:D

Archived