What time should we arrive at the cruise terminal?

momtothree

We will be driving from PA to NYC for our cruise on the Norweigan Gem on March 15, 2008. What time should we arrive at the cruise terminal? How early do they allow you to go through the registration process and how early may you board the ship? Anything else we should know about embarking? If anyone has gone from NYC, your information would be greatly appreciated as to what to do from the time we arrive at the terminal until we board the ship. Thank you so much!:confused: :confused: :) :) :) :)

I do not try and get to the cruise terminals before 1:00 PM to avoid the initial rush (and longer waits) and the pure chaos of peopel dismebraking from the earlier cruises.

And especially at the NY pier, where you can have three ships disembarking and embarking at the same time.

I disagree I try to get there at about 11:30. I want to eat in the sit down restaurant and not the buffet....

see the whole thread about what time you have to be boarded by. Under the new "rules"which I don't expect them to enforce. For a 4 pm sailing you may have to be on board by 2...so if everyone tries to get there between 1-2...you see what I mean...I am also pretty sure that there only one ship on March 15...the Gem.

We are "people watchers," and we usually travel with our elderly in-laws, so we always get to the port at 10:30 via cab. We then grab a porter (make sure your tip is visible) who gets our luggage together on a cart and points in the right direction.

We then find a comfy seat to watch everyone coming off the ship. Once, I even stopped someone coming off the ship and asked them a few questions about their cruise!

We're usually one of the first people onboard. We go to our cabin and tip our steward to keep our luggage in the room he/she is cleaning. Then, we make our way up for lunch, back to the room to unpack, and out to the pool area for some sun.

It always feels like we gain an extra day onboard the ship.

Besides, I can hardly ever wait very long to get on the ship!

see the whole thread about what time you have to be boarded by. Under the new "rules"which I don't expect them to enforce. For a 4 pm sailing you may have to be on board by 2.

What new rules? What do you mean I have to aboard by 2? I wasn't even planning to get there until 2. My idea was to be behind the crowds.

What new rules? What do you mean I have to aboard by 2? I wasn't even planning to get there until 2. My idea was to be behind the crowds.

I just got my e docs for travel on the Gem out of NY on the 16th of Feb. and it states be on board 2 hours ahead of departure time, which is 4 pm 9 so they say, I get to NY peirs around 10 -10:30 which is early, but I would rather sit and people watch than stand in the large crowds after 11:30 Waiting and holding on the the carry on luggage, We get on the ship early, explore. Have a nice lunch, and start our vacation EARLY on the ship! It's going to be different this cruise, I'm sure we won't be sunning our selves or swimming while people are still boarding,,,, so that leaves Eating! Enjoy your cruise, were from NY area.

DHS(you know the Homeland security people) require that a final manifest be sent 90 minutes before departure. So NCL needs to close it and send it out. Which means those arriving according to the rule later than 2 hours before sailing won't be on the ship. I personally think the rule will NOT be enforced this way but I am not missing the boat anyway as I get there between 11 and 12.

Errrrrrgh. Now it looks like I will have to arrive in the middle of the fracas, not behind it. I can't arrive any earlier than possibly noon, if I'm lucky & don't hit traffic.

Last year the "latitudes' line" wasn't marked or visible at all. What's the deal nowadays for anybody who's been there recently?

MOMTOTHREE,

NYC'S cruise terminal website nycruise dot com shows only your cruise leaving the Manhattan cruise terminal that day. From people's opinions I have read on the board, only one ship leaving that day means that it shouldn't be THAT crowded. Plus in March it will still be cold so maybe people will wait a bit before leaving...Best of luck! :)

Kristina

Errrrrrgh. Now it looks like I will have to arrive in the middle of the fracas, not behind it. I can't arrive any earlier than possibly noon, if I'm lucky & don't hit traffic.

Last year the "latitudes' line" wasn't marked or visible at all. What's the deal nowadays for anybody who's been there recently?

the latttudes line is upstairs with the VIP boarding- not well marked. If they are leaving from pier 88 it just has been reopened and no one has reported the new arrangement....other than its new....once boarding starts there is no lattitudes area, they are brought down to the front of the line and then general boarding begins if you are not in that group you are just part of the crowd....

Archived