Is Getting Off in Nassau Worth It?

travellady

I'm on a 3 day Disney cruise and am wondering if getting of in Nassau is even worth it? Is there a must see? From what I've read about Atlantis, I can't see paying 25.00 and not being able to use the pools etc. Honestly, my husband and I would probably be happy hanging out on deck reading a good book. But we also have an 11 year old son with us and I don't want to miss something he should see. Also another reason not to go to Atlantis - he'd be pretty disappointed if he couldn't use the pools.

went to cable beach (Crystal Palace). Had a nice beach and nice pool area.....no hassle, no cost. Went to Atlantis at 4:30pm, tried to walk around and was stopped several times. Walked around at 5:05pm and no one hassled us. Go figure. I think they really care during peak times 9-5.

Zenith 10/2003
Galaxy 3/2004
Sovereign of the Seas 5/2004

I personally think you should atleast go see Atlantis. We could have cared less baout the pool and/or beach since we can lie by the pool on the ship. But, just to go see the resort itself is a treat. Only 4.00 per person to be dropped at their front door, by cab.

Kim
Dawn Princess
Regal Princess
Grand Princess
Mercury - Celebrity
Windward - NCL
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas

I believe they have a tour in Nassau that includes the pirates museum. You son may be interested in that (being 11 and all) You can also just get off the boat, and walk to the museum. They will let you take a peek inside before you decided to spend the money for the walk through. It was my husband and I when we went last Sept and we were the ONLY ones in the place....which was great for us, cause we were able to get some great shots of the exhibits. Then off the the bar next door for the free rum punch offered in the NCL coupon book.
The straw market was an experience...but I don't really think an 11 year old boy would be too impressed. Otherwise the beaches are great, and I have been told (though did go) that the aquarium at Atlantis is pretty good to.
Enjoy your vacation!
Debbie

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Took my boys 15 and 11 yo at the time to the Pirate Museum last summer. They thought it was a little lame, but enjoyed it nonetheless. They thought the gift shop was really cool. Haven't been to any of the forts, but they look interesting, especially for an 11 yo.

Shirley
cruising-courtesy-kindness

3-Night Anniversary Cruise on Majesty of the Seas . . . January 7, 2005

Cruising with my girls from NY on the Dawn . . . May 1, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98
CCL Ecstasy 1/01
CCL Fascination 11/01
CCL Fascination 4/03
RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03
CCL Imagination 12/03
CCL Fascination 5/04

• 2 weeks later...
Hey ... come on. What a question! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

If you're not excited by new places, people, scenery, foliage, ways of doing things, smells, sounds, foods, etc. etc. then yup, stay on board!

If you've not done it before, just a walking tour around the 8 or 10 blocks that compose downtown can include:

- A several hundred year old fort with still-usable cannon.
- A trip up the Water Tower for an incredible view of the whole 21x7 miles of New Providence Island
- The 66 steps hewn by slaves - at least according to legend.
- The octagonal Nassau Downtown Library and mini-museum which used to be a prison.
- The Straw Market
- The Pirates' Museum
- A short stroll down East St. to Mortimer's Candy Kitchen for local sweets (try the Bennie Cakes)

It's all in what you look for!

Colyn R., Nassau Native

Nyloc,
Which fort are you referring to? We are going back to Nassau on our next 2 cruises and researching some things to do. Hubby and I are thinking of doing a walking tour in January and scoping out some ideas when we come back in April with the 4 [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] kids. Thanks for posting.

Shirley

Family spring break cruise on the Dawn . . . April 17, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98
CCL Ecstasy 1/01
CCL Fascination 11/01
CCL Fascination 4/03
CCL Imagination 12/03
CCL Fascination 5/04

Here's a link to a good walking tour. You can do it without a guide very easily. It includes 1 of the forts. The other forts are Fort Montegue, which is about 1/2 mile east of Paradise Bridge, and Fort Charlotte, just west of town near Arawak Cay.
Each of these would be a bit of a walk.. Fort Charlotte is closer and probably more interesting.

[url="http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/Walkingtour.html"]http://www.bahamas-treasures.com/bahamas/Walkingtour.html[/url]

I always thought Nassua would be awful, because I heard it wasn't the nices place. I went the day after going to a private island and thought there was no reason after the fun I just had.

There wasn't enough time in the day to do all of the stuff I wanted to, and I can't wait to go back. I will be going to Freeport later this year and I have heard people saying things on how it isn't thta nice; I am not falling for that like I almost did with Nassua.

Thanks, scubagirl!

Shirley

Family spring break cruise on the Dawn . . . April 17, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98
CCL Ecstasy 1/01
CCL Fascination 11/01
CCL Fascination 4/03
CCL Imagination 12/03
CCL Fascination 5/04

If you do that walking tour of Nassau on your own, how late in the day can you visit places like the forts or the queens staircase or the pirate museum? We are in port from 11:30 until 10:00 p.m. and I thought we'd probably like to visit the beach in the early part of the day, and may walk around town in the later afternoon/early evening.

• 2 weeks later...
If getting a little education means anything, then take one of the 30 minute surry rides through down town ($35 for up to 4 - '02). They're well regulated and the drivers generally do a nice job pointing out important buildings and historic points of interest. The livery is on the right just 50 yards or so from the end of the pier. The straw market is another 25-50 yards beyond it. Due the surry ride then hit the straw market for half and hour or so, then head back to the ship. You've "done" Nassau without spending much time, energy, or money.

Archived