Cribs on Carnival Ships

ladylonghorn

Can someone please tell me about the cribs on carnival ships? I've gotten a few details here and there - they are metal, NOT pack in plays, no recognizable brand and smaller than a regular US PIP.

I thought I got somewhere they are only 32" or 33" long. My 26 month old is 33" tall, so how would she fit? At the same time, I'm concerned our Graco PIP will be too big to fit on our balcony type room (our PIP is 39" long and 28" wide).

I just posted the exact same question on the Carnival board!

I can tell you that the cribs on the Inspiration were about 32" long, because my 29" suitcase fit under it perfectly. My 6 month old fit in it fine, but I very much doubt he is going to fit in it at 19 months this time around. I have a photo of the crib somewhere ... I will dig it up and post it.

Thanks for posting the pic! I'm so glad - - b/c what is clear from the picture is that my 26 month old could get over the sides! There's no way that the mattress is low enough. Right now, she can climb out of a shopping cart (the basket portion) if I let her, so I doubt we could restrainer her in what carnival has.

Thanks for posting the pic! I'm so glad - - b/c what is clear from the picture is that my 26 month old could get over the sides! There's no way that the mattress is low enough. Right now, she can climb out of a shopping cart (the basket portion) if I let her, so I doubt we could restrainer her in what carnival has.

Ah, good point! In that photo, the mattress is at it's highest position. There is a lower setting, but I doubt very much that it is any lower than a shopping cart. So, yeah, your kid will be escaping from that crib. Mine's not an escape artist, but is tall and will be jamming his head & feet against those steel bars.

I forgot to add, that the crib is a "Cosco" brand. I was able to zoom in on the original photo and read that. Not saying that those are the ones they have fleet-wide, but that's the one I got.

Any idea how long the crib was? My 26 month old is around 34" tall.

I used to use those cribs when I ran a daycare center. They have a 30 or 35 pound weight limit, and aren't really good much past the infant stage. I'd say you'd be better off using the mattress on the floor by your bed than putting a toddler in one of these cribs...

Any idea how long the crib was? My 26 month old is around 34" tall.

My suitcase (which you can barely see in the photo) is 32" tall, and it fit perfectly within the panels of the crib. I wouldn't put the sleeping surface at more than 34" long.

Has anyone ever used the inflatable bed rails? http://www.travelingwithkids.com/product_info.php/pName/bedbugz-inflatable-bed-rail

I am kinda upset now....

We booked our cruise through Carnival (w/ our 7mth old) & the lady helping us ASSURED me that it is a "pack n play" on the Conquest! I have to say...the pictures have me sold on not believing her. BUT..I wonder if the Conquest, being a newer ship, would have 'upgraded' stuff. Huh? I will dig deaper & post anything I find.

btw...I know this is kind of a 'freak accident' but when my other daughter was about 10 months old we stayed in a hotel & she slept in the crib the hotel provided (I think it was wooden) & I woke in the middle of the night to hearing a wimper...it was her. A corner of the slab thing under the mattress had fallen somehow & her head was lodged in between the slab & the railings!!!!!!! So....needless to say...if that is all Carnival has to offer, we will be bringing our pack n play for sure! Like I said, I know that is a freak accident...but I will not risk it!

I found this....

November 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM

HappyChick user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_12363693", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifA few things...

We brought the things everyone else has mentioned:

sippy cups

diapers/wipes

dishwashing soap for the sippy cups

a few juice boxes

portable DVD player

small, portable umbrella stroller

a few portable snacks (Cheerios, crackers, etc)

About the PIP's: We didn't bring one either time. On the Carnival Conquest, we had a very sturdy/nice crib. On the Grand Princess, we had a very old, rickety wooden crib that was literally falling apart. We just had our 9 month old sleep w/us in that situation. So, depending on the ship you will be cruising on, bringing the PIP may be a good idea. I wish I had researched the situation on the Grand Princess a little more. Since we had a good experience w/the crib on the Conquest, I was expecting that again.

Another thing about PIP's: even if the ship does have them or appropriate cribs, the sheets they use seem to be the same sheets they use for the bed (@least in our 2 experiences). So, you may want to consider bringing sheets.

Strollers: when our 18 month old son went, we DID use a stroller. However, w/our 9 month old son, we just used the Baby Bjorn and that worked MUCH better. He was happier in it, it was convenient, and took up zero space.

Have a great time!!

Lisa

I guess I feel better that it is "sturdy"...but still worried. I am definetly calling Abby w/ Carnival tomorrow though.

I am kinda upset now....

We booked our cruise through Carnival (w/ our 7mth old) & the lady helping us ASSURED me that it is a "pack n play" on the Conquest! I have to say...the pictures have me sold on not believing her. BUT..I wonder if the Conquest, being a newer ship, would have 'upgraded' stuff. Huh? I will dig deaper & post anything I find.

btw...I know this is kind of a 'freak accident' but when my other daughter was about 10 months old we stayed in a hotel & she slept in the crib the hotel provided (I think it was wooden) & I woke in the middle of the night to hearing a wimper...it was her. A corner of the slab thing under the mattress had fallen somehow & her head was lodged in between the slab & the railings!!!!!!! So....needless to say...if that is all Carnival has to offer, we will be bringing our pack n play for sure! Like I said, I know that is a freak accident...but I will not risk it!

I called Carnival directly about 3 days ago. The person (a young man) had NO details on the cribs - not size, not type, not weight limit. Nothing. Also, he would not reseve one for me - said I had to do it through the travel agent that booked our cruise. This may be the normal procedure, but since he had my booking pulled up, seemed kind of silly he couldn't help!

My photos above were taken on the Inspiration, before refurbishment. Although, I wouldn't think they'd have replaced the cribs during the refurb.

I do believe that the crib we got on the Inspiration is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-10-T58-WHO-Portable-Crib-White/dp/B000056HND/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i#productDetails

The story about the crummy hotel crib reminds me of what we got for a pack & play when we stayed in Tampa before we set sail on the Inspiration! When the bellman brought the pack & play up, he didn't bring the mattress with it! I had him come back and explained to him the purpose of the mattress, so he went and checked for it. He came back & told me they didn't have one, but brought me an extra blanket to put in the bottom. Yeah, because one hotel blanket is going to completely solidify the bottom of a PNP. My son ended up sleeping in a corral of luggage on the hotel room floor (atop a few folded up hotel blankets). Luckily he wasn't crawling at the time, because he'd have escaped from there for sure! The room only had double beds, so it's not like he could have just slept between us for the night. Grr!

Ladylonghorn - How frustrating!!! I am so leaning towards bringing our own. I just don't want to chance it being a rickity thing or the chance of not getting one at all.

MommaOML - Thanx for that website link. I just wish they could provide an actual pack n play that doesn't have so many things that can break. We aren't flying...so I think I will just lug the thing. It will so pay off. Plus....I can break it down & shove it in the closet during the day...it will be a crowded room already w/ me, husband & 3 kids!! (well, my parent's have a joining room...which we had to book it w/ one of my kids in their room, since they don't allow more than 4 per room)

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

I have received confirmation from my Carnival CVP that the link I provided above is a very accurate representation of the portable cribs in the Carnival fleet. The dimensions he gave me are 39.4" (H) x 27.6" (W) x 33.1" (L). That would be outside dims; the mattress surface itself would be smaller.

What's easier - teaching an 18 month old to stay in bed, or lugging a playpen from Canada??

I have received confirmation from my Carnival CVP that the link I provided above is a very accurate representation of the portable cribs in the Carnival fleet. The dimensions he gave me are 39.4" (H) x 27.6" (W) x 33.1" (L). That would be outside dims; the mattress surface itself would be smaller.

What's easier - teaching an 18 month old to stay in bed, or lugging a playpen from Canada??

I am so torn! I do not know what to do! The good in bringing our play pin is that we know it is safe & we can pack it up to be out of the way when not in use. BUT the downfalls....I wonder if the rooms (being so narrow) will work w/ the pack n play we have (we have a standard size one). Plus the lugging of it (we are already lugging enough stuff w/ 3 kids coming). Hmm...decisions decisions.

About your child staying in bed....I saw a bunch of things on amazon.com (while searching for sun tents for the baby) & saw a type of canopy type thing you can put over the crib if your child climbs out.

I found a few....

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Crib-Netting/dp/B000JLU8LG/ref=pd_sim_ba?ie=UTF8&qid=1199297551&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Tots-Mind-Portable-Playard-Cabana/dp/B000056JA2/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1199297498&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Baby-G50402-Pack-Netting/dp/B00004DSG2/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1199297551&sr=8-2

If you type in "crib tent" in the search bar you will find a lot.

OH....should we bring the carseat on board??? It is an infant carrier. I have heard all kinds of things about the cars in Mexico & Jamaica not being made for a carseat (which freaks me out!).

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from the Ledgend this last week. The crib broke on my son. I woke up to a loud noise and him crying at 5:30. He was in between the matress and the frame. All Carnival said was SORRY and gave us a $10 Freddy toy. I am trying to do research to see if this happened before. I also asked if they threw it away and all they said is that it was tagged. Beware before you put your child at risk. My son is only 8 months and weighs 20 lbs.

I just got back from the Ledgend this last week. The crib broke on my son. I woke up to a loud noise and him crying at 5:30. He was in between the matress and the frame. All Carnival said was SORRY and gave us a $10 Freddy toy. I am trying to do research to see if this happened before. I also asked if they threw it away and all they said is that it was tagged. Beware before you put your child at risk. My son is only 8 months and weighs 20 lbs.

That's brutal. I'm so sorry that happened to your son. Hopefully they either repair it properly or throw it away.

My HB has convinced me to bring our PNP. I have convinced him to rent a tux on board, to avoid taking the garment bag. Fair trade, I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, my son is ABSOLUTELY sleeping in bed with me on this trip. The crib can just be backup in case one of us needs to shower when the other isn't in the cabin. Yikes!

One thing about them falling in and breaking - they get moved weekly, shoved around a cabin daily. Bring a screwdriver with interchangable heads - then tighten every little screw on that bugger. Or, better yet, call maintanence and watch while THEY do it. Most people working on cruise ships have kids too. Once they realize just how rickety these things get, they often do a great job checking them. Remember that the people doing the work are often told to do more work than they could possibly do in the short amount of time they are provided - if you call them in yourself, you give them extra time to do the job right.

I tighten the screws on my sons crib at home monthly. If you don't do it, they will eventually fall apart too!

Archived