Changing the names of guests and cancellations of one person, but not the other

JenP

I booked a cruise months ago as a college graduation present for my sister. I gave her a choice of a couple of things and she chose this. In any case, after months of her not getting a passport or even checking out the shore excursions, I asked her if this is what she really wanted. It turns out she does not want to go anymore. I am actually pretty hurt about it.

I am not at the point of cancelling (yet) because, well, I was looking forward to this too. My best friend is thinking about joining me but has to figure out if she can afford it or not. My question is whether (if it turns out she can go) I can change the name of the additional guest on this booking number on the carnival website. Will this screw anything up and would the changes also be made to the shore excursions automatically?

Has anyone had to do this before?

Alternatively, if it comes to it, can I just delete the second guest and go as a single? I am just considering my options.

Yes, you can change the name (unless the ship is oversold) and depending on where you are in the penalty phase they may or may not charge you $50 to do it. Yes, you can cancel her and go as a single, but you won't get any money back (you will pay double unless there is a single cabin left where you will pay around 150%, really depends on how far out the cruise is) I hope you find someone to go with you, good luck and have a great cruise. Sorry about your sis, that would hurt my feelings too :(

Your best bet is to call Carnival and tell them one person needs to cancel and find out what the options are.

Not knowing when your cruise is etc, can't tell you much more but you can take her name off the list. If it is before final payment there will not be a charge.

The cruise is May 25. My final payment is due March 31.

OK, you can make any changes you want as to the names until final payment without a charge.

You can take your sisters name off and replace it with TBA and you will have until final payment to name that person, or change to a single.

OK, you can make any changes you want as to the names until final payment without a charge.

You can take your sisters name off and replace it with TBA and you will have until final payment to name that person, or change to a single.

As long as the cruise isn't sold out or in restricted status... I had this happen a few years ago and Carnival wouldn't allow any changes because the cruise was oversold (this was 6 months in advance) and they were TRYING to get people to cancel and wouldn't allow any changes. We've had that happen a few times since, once a cruise is sold out they won't allow changes... so as long as it is still selling, the OP will be fine and no charge (unless the TA charges a fee)

I booked a cruise months ago as a college graduation present for my sister. I gave her a choice of a couple of things and she chose this. In any case, after months of her not getting a passport or even checking out the shore excursions, I asked her if this is what she really wanted. It turns out she does not want to go anymore. I am actually pretty hurt about it.

I am not at the point of cancelling (yet) because, well, I was looking forward to this too. My best friend is thinking about joining me but has to figure out if she can afford it or not. My question is whether (if it turns out she can go) I can change the name of the additional guest on this booking number on the carnival website. Will this screw anything up and would the changes also be made to the shore excursions automatically?

Has anyone had to do this before?

Alternatively, if it comes to it, can I just delete the second guest and go as a single? I am just considering my options.

I had to do this recently as my sister had a heart attack 5 weeks before the cruise. Although it cost $50, it was much better to have a friend along than to cruise alone or lose my vacation as well. I contacted my TA and they handled the whole thing within minutes. The shore excursions were also automatically changed to the new person's name. Barring any circumstances listed on this thread (sold-out, etc.), this should be an easy fix.

So, if Carnival is no longer selling the cruise, they won't even allow me to change the name of my additional guest? I don't get that. It won't change the number of people on board.

I suggest that before you worry anymore about what could happen, contact your TA and I assume that this will be handled as quickly and efficiently as my situation was handled. It appears you won't be charged an additional fee as your cruise is still a few months away.

So, if Carnival is no longer selling the cruise, they won't even allow me to change the name of my additional guest? I don't get that. It won't change the number of people on board.

I know, it doesn't make any sense... but they would rather you cancel the cruise. Once a cruise gets into restricted status (sold out), they start actually wanting people to cancel. Thankfully you didn't have that problem, and I'm glad you were able to make the change! Have a great cruise!!

Archived